Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Copenhagen (Denmark)

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 12:52 PM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts

Hi from Copenhagen (the true bike capital of the world) with 400km bike lanes and 62% of residents (including myself) commuting by bike daily.

My name is Christian, in my mid 30’s and work as UX Director in an international fintech company... as mostly every other Dane I was brought up with a bike as an integral part of daily life. Trekked through Scandinavia every summer with my parents since I was 10 years old. And later through Europe with my dad on my trusty shiny red Trek FX 7.6. I even worked briefly as a bike courier after high school.

About 6 years ago I stepped into the world of road bikes buying my first full carbon bike - a White Trek Madone 3.5 Ultegra equipped... that was quickly followed by a White hardtail Giant XTC Composite 29er a year later... by far the most amusing/aggressive bike I ever rode... that acceleration!

Two years ago I took another leap into compiling my own bike from scratch... intended to be an overkill commuter flatbar 1x11 at racing specs. Full carbon, Vitus frame, Di2 Ultegra rear mech, XTR rapidfire shifter and Cosmic Pro wheels. I’ll post photos somewhere once I unlock the 10 post requirement... but it’s tons of fun ripping through Copenhagen on... it’s as entertaining as it is silly

I'm taking a shine to titanium frames and contemplating a super clean more classic aesthetic fixie project, for which I hope to get inspiration and insights from the helpful and seasoned people roaming this place.

Edit: Can now post photos, so here's my "homemade" intro bike:

Last edited by nuxx; 04-01-19 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Added Photo
Old 03-31-19, 01:10 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums Christian. Excellent introduction!
Old 03-31-19, 01:29 PM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

Thank you for the welcome! While I understand why those measures are in place, I'll admit that I do find the 5 posts per 24h limit combined with the must post 10 to embed pictures somewhat frustrating! But I'll try to be patient
Old 03-31-19, 02:08 PM
Black Mamba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Nuxx. I have visited Copenhagen several times and am very envious of your the cycling culture and infrastructure there.

I get the impression that even though cycling is ubiquitous in Copenhagen, not too people seem to be really nerdy about it. It seems that people viewed cycling as a functional part of life, whereas in other parts of the world people who cycle take it more seriously. Is that the case, from your perspective?
Old 03-31-19, 03:53 PM
nuxx 

Hi Black Mamba - yes that's spot on. You could say biking is so integrated into our lives and culture that it is in a way taken for granted - and thus not "a hobby" external to our other daily activities. As opposed to many (if not most) other cities/countries where biking is a luxury/recreational activity - because the general car oriented infrastructure and distances prohibit a culture of habitual biking as the one we enjoy here.

That said - make no mistake that we have a huge segment of road racing and MTB enthusiasts (all forest, no hills here)... but that exists quite separate from the much more relaxed and commonplace commuter culture, it is something only a subset of people evolve into... and the favoured routes are logically outside the city.

And we are definitely excited to have Tour de France starting with a time trial in Copenhagen 2021
Old 03-31-19, 10:19 PM
pikkaso

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello There!

Welcome!
Old 04-01-19, 03:44 AM
Black Mamba

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. It's really interesting how the infrastructure impacts on the 'hobbyist' nature of cycling. It might also explain why, when I go to Copenhagen, a lot of the bikes don't seem well cared for. I always see lots of bikes on the street which could do with a bit of TLC...

Welcome again to the forum!
Old 04-01-19, 04:30 PM
nuxx 

Originally Posted by Black Mamba
It might also explain why, when I go to Copenhagen, a lot of the bikes don't seem well cared for. I always see lots of bikes on the street which could do with a bit of TLC...
Well there's approx 1.1 bikes per resident in the city... and as you can imagine 80-90% of those are simply a utility, not a passion... they're usually fairly entry level claris/sora/nexus etc bikes... the bikes people care about you generally don't see parked in the street as unfortunately we do have quite a lot of bike theft going on.
Old 04-01-19, 08:19 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Welcome!

Old 04-01-19, 10:17 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Hi! *waves*
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-02-19, 07:13 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,741 Times in 2,762 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, nuxx!
Old 04-15-19, 05:26 AM
chrissrx6

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Christian from Copenhagen
That's one serially cool looking bike...The Wheels are over kill on that one...
Have you ever come across Cycle clothing branded "FOCUS"?
Regards Chris
Old 04-16-19, 04:23 AM
nuxx 

Originally Posted by chrissrx6
The Wheels are over kill on that one...
Unlike the Di2 stuff? That's the whole point mate... and it rides crazy so definitely not wasted regardless

Originally Posted by chrissrx6
Have you ever come across Cycle clothing branded "FOCUS"?
Hmm, haven't noticed the clothing line specifically - but FOCUS is a fairly common German bike brand around here: https://www.focus-bikes.com/
Likes For nuxx: