Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel building hints and tips.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 08:30 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts

A lot of people end up here when truing and building wheels. I know that there is a hints and tips sticky but this is a bit more focused.
What are some of the things that you do to help build or true a wheel?
Things that I do...
  • Put sticky dots with numbers between each spoke pair.
  • Use the Parks spoke tension app. It helps me keep track of tensions as I go.
  • Get all spokes equally seated and a bit slack before starting.
  • Build tension in stages. Like 50% of desired, then 75% and then 100%.
I find truing and building a Zen activity.
Old 04-10-19, 07:03 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I think as your wheel building experience goes up, the less you rely on tools to guide you through. I think I built my first wheel around 1980 or so. I've worked for several different shops and bike companies since then, some doing lots of production wheel building. Nowadays, I build a couple or so wheel sets a month. Still a Zen like experience, but a lot faster. I have a Youtube channel with lots of bike related tutorials including wheel building, truing and repairing. Here's a few with some tips and such..

Old 04-11-19, 08:34 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
+1 on Le Mechanic's response.
Old 04-11-19, 06:06 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've only got about 8 or 10 wheels under my belt, so this is "from amateur to amateur."

1. I check that the spokes I buy are of equal length by hanging all of them off a straight edge and looking at the ends. The ones I get from Dan's Comp seem to be quite accurate. Once this is done, I can check for equal spoke threading by looking at the spoke ends relative to the tops of the nipples. This seems to greatly reduce the time I spend making the wheel round, and getting equal tension before final truing.

2. Start with round rims, preferably new, especially if this is your first build. Wringing warped rims true is a more advanced skill that I've hardly begun to master.

3. Have peace of mind.

4. I buy 40 spokes and keep 4 as spares. I've never needed them.

5. Confident as I should be in the process, I still check my tension and truth after the first ride, the first 10 rides, etc.
Old 04-11-19, 09:14 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
I think as your wheel building experience goes up, the less you rely on tools to guide you through. I think I built my first wheel around 1980 or so. I've worked for several different shops and bike companies since then, some doing lots of production wheel building. Nowadays, I build a couple or so wheel sets a month. Still a Zen like experience, but a lot faster. I have a Youtube channel with lots of bike related tutorials including wheel building, truing and repairing. Here's a few with some tips and such..
I've come to regard it as an analog of knitting. Once your fingers are trained your brain can check out for a while.

OTOH... it's addictive. I've been building wheels for 35 years or so and I find I need to build a set or two every year or I get twitchy. Getting close to time.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-11-19, 10:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I work in a quiet place so I can ping the spokes with the spoke wrench and hear the pitch. 2 or three times per build I place the Park tension meter over several spokes and get a feel for tightness. I have never gone around and "Parked" every spoke. Someone would have to give me a huge gift of patience! If I built wheels more often I would have sufficient memory to remember the final pitch of my last wheel and I'd skip the Park. I do 2-4 wheels/years; not enough.

If at all possible I buy unopened boxes of 100, either Wheelsmith or DT. No need to check spoke lengths. If I do need to check, I just grab a handful and stand them up in my hand on a table. Mismatches aren't hard to find.
Old 04-11-19, 10:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
OTOH... it's addictive. I've been building wheels for 35 years or so and I find I need to build a set or two every year or I get twitchy. Getting close to time.

I love building wheels. Problem is, if you're halfway decent, you don't need to build or true your own wheels very often! What to do with this urge...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-11-19, 11:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

I love building wheels. Problem is, if you're halfway decent, you don't need to build or true your own wheels very often! What to do with this urge...
Easy. Move to the Pacific NW and stay away from disc brakes. Ride all winter. That's a pair of rims every two years or less.

Ben
Old 04-12-19, 08:57 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Buy or build a lacing jig. After 30 years of sitting on the floor lacing, I recently built a jig and discovered how much easier it made the lacing task.
Old 04-12-19, 09:16 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Buy or build a lacing jig. After 30 years of sitting on the floor lacing, I recently built a jig and discovered how much easier it made the lacing task.
I like sitting on the floor actually - prefer it to working on a bench.
Though a jig does speed things up either way.
Old 04-12-19, 12:35 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have built or rebuilt about 20 wheels over the last 25 years. I have a truing stand, good spoke wrenches and a Wheelsmith tension meter. I use a pipe dope on the threads (making latter adjustments easy) and a little oil on the nipple heads to facilitate turning.
I like the Gerd Schraner method of lacing the spokes from "The Art of Wheel building". My first priority is working on getting the rim radially true. If it's a rear wheel I don't worry too much about the lateral true until the tension begins to come up. As the tension builds I have found that the radial true remains stable and start to work on the lateral true and building tension. As the tension builds I occasionally stress relieve the spokes by grabbing parallel spokes and squeezing them. I try to maintain equal tension on the drive side spokes and use the NDS for lateral true and dishing. On a 32 or 36 spoke wheel I run a tension of at least 100Kg. On hubs with more dish I shoot for more tension on the DS to have enough on the NDS. I give the finished wheel one last stress relieving and it's good to go.
Old 04-12-19, 10:02 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
I like sitting on the floor actually - prefer it to working on a bench.
Though a jig does speed things up either way.
Back in my shop days all the workbenches had a 1 1/2" hole drilled in the middle. Just the right size to hold a hub upright. Wheelbuilding was a breeze.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-13-19, 12:10 AM
cyclingarri
All Ass No Gas

Bikes: 1988 Peugeot St. Laurent, 1974 UO18 Peugeot, 1985 P16 Peugeot, Roadmaster Ground Assult Mtn. Sport, Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Iseran Peugeot, Junet Mixte

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
PLS PLS share how you made your jig? I've been tinkering with all sorts of "ways" and have not been successful.
Old 04-13-19, 06:16 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by cyclingarri
PLS PLS share how you made your jig? I've been tinkering with all sorts of "ways" and have not been successful.
Yes, I had planned to post an account of how I made the jig. Getting pictures ready now so stay tuned. I'll post in a separate thread in a few days.
Old 04-13-19, 09:42 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by cyclingarri
See https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...acing-jig.html
Old 04-13-19, 05:30 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My experience, yours will be different.

Follow procedure on Sheldon's site: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Use round and flat rims; I have built wheels with the following suppliers rims (comments):
* Velocity (always round and flat, very fast and easy build).
* Alex (almost as good as Velocity).
* Sun (impossible to get true with even tension, bare rims are always a little out of round and flat).

My time is valuable, so Velocity is my go to rim manufacturer.

Spokes: double butted result in a stronger more flexible (comfortable) wheel - worth the extra money to me, and it is such a small amount compared to the amount of time I have in a wheel.
Old 04-17-19, 12:17 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Bakerjw, what are the numbers between spoke pairs used for? Never seen it done and don't understand the use.
Old 04-17-19, 01:58 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
One thing I've started to do recently, which I believe has made a significant difference in the quality of my wheels, is to mark each spoke with a Sharpie to keep track of windup. I always thought I was pretty decent at removing windup by feel, but once I started marking them I was shocked to see that I had some spokes that I was leaving twisted by 90+ degrees. Since I've been using this technique, I feel the last few wheels I've built have needed almost no touch up on the truing stand even after a few thousand miles, and despite the fact that they have less spokes than I usually use (32 vs 36). To be fair some of that might be due to the rims I've been using lately -- mainly HED Belgium+, which are excellent but max out at 32 holes.