Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thinking of going "One bike".

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 04-11-19, 06:54 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

I know this is an idea that is so foreign to most of us here but I am thinking of selling my second bike and just having and obviously ride just the one. I have found such a difference in my two that I have to talk myself into riding my older bike and regret it after just a few miles. I have gone so far as to come home from a ride and then take out my new bike and just ride around the block before showering up and a cold drink. I guess I could regret this if the one bike has an issue and I can't ride for a while but I hate to just keep a second bike around in case something happens but that currently would be it's reason for it's existence. The other idea is to make it a work in progress and put on wider tires and use it more as a gravel/dirt trail bike. At this time they both occupy the same lane as to their purpose but the newer bike is so much better. I have gone so far as to test ride other brands but, for the same reason that I did not go with a different brand when I test rode them in the first place, just don't fit as well as the bike I have. Can't ride a road bike so I have my limits as to what I can ride. Was looking at a used carbon road Trek but it was an older bike with a too aggressive geometry for me at this point of my life.
Just thinking out loud but I am not going to dump the second bike until I am sure it is the right thing to do for me. Not really sure of what I am asking but would appreciate your feedback and ideas if you feel the urge.
Be safe all, Frank.
Old 04-11-19, 07:32 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Helderberg
At this time they both occupy the same lane as to their purpose but the newer bike is so much better.
I think this statement explains a lot of what you are feeling. If you have two bikes that serve the same purpose, that is used for the same type of ride, I don't see a reason to keep the 2nd bike. I would sell it and get another one that will be used for a different kind of ride
Old 04-11-19, 07:41 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
So What was the question?

That's a lot of rambling...
Old 04-11-19, 08:29 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by finch204
I think this statement explains a lot of what you are feeling. If you have two bikes that serve the same purpose, that is used for the same type of ride, I don't see a reason to keep the 2nd bike. I would sell it and get another one that will be used for a different kind of ride
This.

In theory you could almost do a direct swap if you play your cards right. Sell the 2nd bike you have for $400 and go find a used specialty bike for a different kind of riding on Craigslist for $400.
Old 04-11-19, 10:44 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

I think a different type of bike is a good idea instead of trying to make my second bike into something it's not. I appreciate your responses and I am painfully aware of my rambling but thanks for the opinions.
Frank.
Old 04-11-19, 11:10 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
@Helderberg, I agree with the others; if you don't love the bike, let it go to someone who will. You can sell it, or, if you can afford it, donate it to a bike kitchen or library.
Old 04-12-19, 10:23 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
I kinda feel your pain. Last fall my wife's and my higher end flat bar bikes needed a drivetrain replacement or new bikes purchased. After looking at the offerings of all the major manufacturers we decided to upgrade our current bikes with new wheels and drivetrain. Then a couple of months in our dream bikes became available here in the states..... another high end flat bar road bike. So we purchased those as well. Now we have two sets of high end flat bar bikes. One new and one with $1000.00 upgrades with less than 2000 miles on the upgrades. Our solution is to turn the older bikes into our travel and bad weather bikes. Just got back from a 2 week trip in our motorhome with the travel bikes on the back. Worked great.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 04-14-19, 08:01 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just curious, Frank. What style bike IS working for you? I found gravel/ adventure geometry to fit my needs/ body. So I have three. One dedicated touring, one dedicated road, one dedicated gravel. All can blur lines if needed. Redundancy isn’t always bad.
Likes For intransit1217:
Old 04-14-19, 09:18 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
Often I end up riding the same routes or trails over and over. In this case, it's nice to have some variety in the bikes if I can't get that variety in where I ride.

Also, maybe one bike can be the stripped down/sunny day bike, while the other can be set up with racks, fenders, basket, kick stand, etc. to make it a practical errand runner.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 04-14-19, 12:14 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by intransit1217
Just curious, Frank. What style bike IS working for you? I found gravel/ adventure geometry to fit my needs/ body. So I have three. One dedicated touring, one dedicated road, one dedicated gravel. All can blur lines if needed. Redundancy isn’t always bad.
According to the size chart a medium bike, in flat bar Quick geometry was supposed to be perfect. I have fought with it trying all sorts of seats, stems, positions, accessory upright grips on the handle bars and the bike never felt just right. Tried a Giant medium and it felt even worse but qhen I retired and moved here I bought a used Large Schwinn, full suspension and as much as I didn't like the feel of the bike the size did not bother me. I test rode a large frame Quick 3, a few grades higher than my Quick7, and it just felt good. I have since changed the stem to a 35* rise and set my seat to a good set back and height and I have to fight my better judgment to not ride another few miles and just go home. So to make an otherwise long and rambling story short, I would love to be back on a road bike like when I was 30 but I am now 70 and my Quick 3 is my best bet. At this point the only change I would add might be a 11-40 rear cassette.
Frank.

Old 04-14-19, 01:17 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Fit is pretty much everything. My suggestion/s. Repeat purchase of the bike that fits. Change to a more dirt oriented tire. Now if one bike is down for repairs, you ride the other.

Plan b. Buy a second set of wheels only, with the gear and tires you want. Swap as desire dictates. Don’t ride what isn’t comfy.

Best set of luck.
Rich
Likes For intransit1217:
Old 04-14-19, 06:42 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
According to the size chart a medium bike, in flat bar Quick geometry was supposed to be perfect. I have fought with it trying all sorts of seats, stems, positions, accessory upright grips on the handle bars and the bike never felt just right. Tried a Giant medium and it felt even worse but qhen I retired and moved here I bought a used Large Schwinn, full suspension and as much as I didn't like the feel of the bike the size did not bother me. I test rode a large frame Quick 3, a few grades higher than my Quick7, and it just felt good. I have since changed the stem to a 35* rise and set my seat to a good set back and height and I have to fight my better judgment to not ride another few miles and just go home. So to make an otherwise long and rambling story short, I would love to be back on a road bike like when I was 30 but I am now 70 and my Quick 3 is my best bet. At this point the only change I would add might be a 11-40 rear cassette.
Frank.
If you put a rear rack on your Quick 7 and bought some panniers, would that inspire you to do some grocery shopping by bike and save on fuel costs of running your car?
Old 04-17-19, 09:50 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

@Helderberg, if you don't like the older bike, you don't like it. Find it a home where it's someone's perfect bike, and ride the one you love. HTH.
Old 04-17-19, 11:10 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Korina
@Helderberg, if you don't like the older bike, you don't like it. Find it a home where it's someone's perfect bike, and ride the one you love. HTH.
Thank you. I am looking into a cassette that will satisfy my needs to run on my 3 and when and if that works out, as I hope it will, I will be moving the yellow bike.
Frank.
Old 04-18-19, 12:40 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Thank you. I am looking into a cassette that will satisfy my needs to run on my 3 and when and if that works out, as I hope it will, I will be moving the yellow bike.
Frank.
Cool beans! Let us know how it works out!
Old 04-26-19, 11:12 AM
grayslaker

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by finch204
Not necessarily. I have 2 hybrids.. A Verve and Fx Sport 4. Primary bike now being the FX both mostly serves same purpose. Main reason why I have both is

1) Second bike will be my backup when one is in service
2) I use the other one as companion bike to ride with friends and family visiting us (Yes I encourage people to take it out to trial with me)
Likes For grayslaker:
Old 04-27-19, 02:34 PM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
I have two Hybrids but only ride one, the other is set up on the trainer for bad weather and acts as a spare in case my regular ride breaks down. The trainer bike is my old bike that while I like it fine, my new one is way nicer. When I want another new bike I'll sell the trainer bike and shift my current bike to trainer status.
Old 04-27-19, 10:12 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts

Gone to one bike. Not riding radical trails, so I don’t need crazy suspension. Ride about 2/3 road, 1/3 trails. Gone with a Surly Cross Check. Been great. Rides as well as my ‘70’s Paramount. Handles trails pretty well. I’m good with it.
Likes For gorillimo:
Old 04-28-19, 07:35 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by gorillimo

Gone to one bike. Not riding radical trails, so I don’t need crazy suspension. Ride about 2/3 road, 1/3 trails. Gone with a Surly Cross Check. Been great. Rides as well as my ‘70’s Paramount. Handles trails pretty well. I’m good with it.
Just did a background on Surly as I have seen them come up here from time to time. Sounds like a great bike from a very interesting company. Thanks for your post and photos and I hope you have many many years and miles of enjoyment.
Frank.
Old 04-29-19, 03:20 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Just did a background on Surly as I have seen them come up here from time to time. Sounds like a great bike from a very interesting company. Thanks for your post and photos and I hope you have many many years and miles of enjoyment.
Frank.
They are original “jack of all trades” bikes. The Cross Check is the king.
Old 05-05-19, 10:22 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Yes, they are! I’ve had vintage Colnago, ‘72 Paramount, Klein quantum. This bike equals any of them in quality. And more versatile then any of them.