Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freewheel skipping under a bit of load .

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-18-19, 07:47 AM
Bitcrome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am building a e bike and i"'m using a side mounted 36 v 500 w DC Motor linked with chain. They are 2 freewheels installed on the same side one for the motor and one for me. The one on the motor works just fine but the one that I'm using it's skipping. I already tried on two bikes. Same problem. The freewheels are new. can it be that freewheel has a different spacing between the teth? Can someone help me ?
Old 04-18-19, 07:57 AM
skoda2

Bikes: 74 Romic, 83 Basso, Lotto, 88 Condor, Prestige MTB, 12 Soma, Groove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the freewheels are new, try replacing the drive chain. More info and or photos would be helpful.
Old 04-18-19, 08:31 AM
acorn54

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bitcrome View Post
I am building a e bike and i"'m using a side mounted 36 v 500 w DC Motor linked with chain. They are 2 freewheels installed on the same side one for the motor and one for me. The one on the motor works just fine but the one that I'm using it's skipping. I already tried on two bikes. Same problem. The freewheels are new. can it be that freewheel has a different spacing between the teth? Can someone help me ?

i had skipping on low end shimano cluster and was told on the buget models not uncommon when cluster is under pressure. i thought it was the new chain i put on. but this same thing always happen. i stick with cheap cluster freewheel and put up with the skipping under pressure. if you find putting pressure is unadvoidable maybe get a higher quality gear set.
Old 04-18-19, 08:51 AM
hokiefyd

Bikes: 2018 Redline Zander, 2018 Giant Roam 2, 2015 Trek Verve 3, 1997 Trek 750, 1969 Peugeot PO-18

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Bitcrome View Post
Do the freewheels on the same side just piggyback off each other? You don't have enough posts yet to post a picture, but can you provide a link to such a setup on the internet? If the freewheels are stacked/piggybacked, is the pedal freewheel the inboard freewheel or the outboard freewheel?
Old 04-18-19, 11:30 PM
Bike Gremlin
Bike Gremlin

Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I haven't had problems with new Shimano freewheels skipping caused by internal mechanism (that should "lock" when the drive torque is applied).
They can skip when they are worn, or when a worn chain is used on a new freewheel, or when an incorrect chain width is used, or when the chain is not aligned (incorrect chainline, or incorrectly tuned derailleur)...

As others have said: more detailed description of the setup (preferably with pictures) would help.