Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I'm going to bike tour Japan! (Kyushu)

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I'm going to bike tour Japan! (Kyushu)

Old 04-10-19, 07:16 AM
  #1  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
Thread Starter
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 904

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6446 Post(s)
I'm going to bike tour Japan! (Kyushu)

I'm quite excited about my upcoming tour. 2 weeks starting May 1. All in Kyushu. On the Brompton folder. Inns, airbnb, hotels - not camping.

Days 1 & 2: Fukuoka, get my bearings, look & ride around, get some things together.
Days 3 & 4: early train to Usa and ride the Kunisaki Peninsula
Day 5+ ???

Please let me know if you have any advice, thoughts, etc.
dgodave is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 02:31 PM
  #2  
Altair 4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Along the Rivers of Pittsburgh
Posts: 973

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
No comment other other than to express my complete jealousy! Recently while travelling, the Dayton hotel I stayed at had NHK TV from Japan on cable. I saw an episode of "Cycle Around Japan." The scenery was beautiful and the roads, at least for that episode, looked empty and inviting. The host is not Japanese, but does speak the language. I was wondering what it would be like NOT to speak it though. Best of luck - enjoy!
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/cycle/

Last edited by Altair 4; 04-12-19 at 08:19 AM.
Altair 4 is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 05:58 PM
  #3  
cobalt123
Senior Member
 
cobalt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 71

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Have you ever been before? I've been to Japan a bunch of times, but never looked at it from the perspective of a cyclist. Look forward to hearing your plans develop.
cobalt123 is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 08:15 PM
  #4  
edouble8
Member
 
edouble8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 24

Bikes: De Rosa, Rossin, Bianchi, 3Rensho, Marinoni, Witcomb USA, Cannondale

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I've traveled to Japan in 2016 to do the Shimanami Kaido event with our local bicycle club, and it was spectacular! I wanted to rejoin another group last year since the event is every 2 years. 2016 was the "small" event with approximately 3000 participants, while 2018 was the "large" event with 8000 participants! The event alternates every 2 years. If you have the chance, I'd cycle through this famous bicycle route, which should be on every bicycle tour bucket list. I brought my daily commuter bicycle on this trip ('91 Cannondale ST1000) & I didn't have any problems with it not being a folding bike on the trains. Just have to have it completely covered in a "rinko" bag (Japanese bicycle bag for traveling on trains).

Also, in 2018, I returned to Japan to participate in an Eroica event. But this time, I brought my vintage De Rosa. The hills in Agatsuma/Gunma were brutal, but rewarding in the end, since we were located at an onsen (natural hot springs) resort, so you could soak after a hard day's ride. This is another spectacular event I'd like to continue to participate in the future. Although, riding my vintage bike through Tokyo city was just as memorable and exciting!

Japan is so much fun, so I'm sure you'll have a blast! Kampai!!! (cheers in Japanese)

P.S. Agree with the "Cycle Around Japan" episodes on NHK tv. They are well done, but sometimes way too much cycling & they carry so little on their bikes...but I'm sure the TV sag wagon helps them out too!
edouble8 is offline  
Old 04-13-19, 07:15 AM
  #5  
waddo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Altair 4 View Post
No comment other other than to express my complete jealousy! Recently while travelling, the Dayton hotel I stayed at had NHK TV from Japan on cable. I saw an episode of "Cycle Around Japan." The scenery was beautiful and the roads, at least for that episode, looked empty and inviting. The host is not Japanese, but does speak the language. I was wondering what it would be like NOT to speak it though. Best of luck - enjoy!
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/cycle/
Those NHK vids are awful advertisements masquerading as documentaries. Chance meetings are all pre-arranged. I watched them and never stopped cringing. I live in Japan.
waddo is offline  
Old 04-13-19, 09:36 AM
  #6  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
Thread Starter
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 904

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6446 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cobalt123 View Post
Have you ever been before? I've been to Japan a bunch of times, but never looked at it from the perspective of a cyclist. Look forward to hearing your plans develop.
No, never been. Still figuring out what to do after day 5. Really looking forward to it. Will post updates here.
dgodave is offline  
Old 04-13-19, 09:39 AM
  #7  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
Thread Starter
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 904

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6446 Post(s)
Originally Posted by edouble8 View Post
I've traveled to Japan in 2016 to do the Shimanami Kaido event with our local bicycle club, and it was spectacular! I wanted to rejoin another group last year since the event is every 2 years. 2016 was the "small" event with approximately 3000 participants, while 2018 was the "large" event with 8000 participants! The event alternates every 2 years. If you have the chance, I'd cycle through this famous bicycle route, which should be on every bicycle tour bucket list. I brought my daily commuter bicycle on this trip ('91 Cannondale ST1000) & I didn't have any problems with it not being a folding bike on the trains. Just have to have it completely covered in a "rinko" bag (Japanese bicycle bag for traveling on trains).

Also, in 2018, I returned to Japan to participate in an Eroica event. But this time, I brought my vintage De Rosa. The hills in Agatsuma/Gunma were brutal, but rewarding in the end, since we were located at an onsen (natural hot springs) resort, so you could soak after a hard day's ride. This is another spectacular event I'd like to continue to participate in the future. Although, riding my vintage bike through Tokyo city was just as memorable and exciting!

Japan is so much fun, so I'm sure you'll have a blast! Kampai!!! (cheers in Japanese)

P.S. Agree with the "Cycle Around Japan" episodes on NHK tv. They are well done, but sometimes way too much cycling & they carry so little on their bikes...but I'm sure the TV sag wagon helps them out too!
That route looks so fun. If I get to tour Japan a second time I might do Shikoku island starting with the Shimanami Kaido. But I shouldnt get a head of myself here.

There's a lot to think about for this first trip, solo touring in a new place where I cant even read the language!

Kampai to you too!
dgodave is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 08:34 AM
  #8  
Altair 4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Along the Rivers of Pittsburgh
Posts: 973

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Originally Posted by waddo View Post
Those NHK vids are awful advertisements masquerading as documentaries. Chance meetings are all pre-arranged. I watched them and never stopped cringing. I live in Japan.
The "chance meetings" did seem a little forced in the episode I watched, with some furtive glancing off to the sides by the person encountered. Frankly, I would have fast-forwarded through them if I were watching online. The scenery, though, looked fantastic.

A long time ago, in the pre-digital age when I was a teen-ager (think early 1970's), I used to listen to NHK in English via shortwave. There was a program called "One in 100 Million" that would focus on some person doing something uniquely Japanese. It was interesting without feeling like an advert. Back then, the only way that I could possibly conceive of going to Japan would be to join the US military (didn't happen).
Altair 4 is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 07:48 AM
  #9  
dgodave
Behold my avatar:
Thread Starter
 
dgodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SW Colorado
Posts: 904

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6446 Post(s)
Excited and getting things ready here. I travel on April 30.

One thing, wherever I plan a nice little 35 mile ride on Map My Ride, it ends up like 4000 ft of climbing!
dgodave is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 08:26 AM
  #10  
PedalingWalrus
Senior Member
 
PedalingWalrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 754

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Surly Disk Trucker, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
I just returned back from our vacation to Japan. Among other things, we did Shimanami Kaido...spectacular...I'd say anything on Kyushu will be awesome but beware :-) The Japan I experienced was very hilly so plan your routes accordingly. I found the people entirely wonderful, respectful and willing to help out. I saw a lot of cool folder bikes in Japan.

I used exclusively the Booking.com app to find accommodations and it worked very well for us.

The food in the Family Mart mini stores is actually pretty good if You like Japanese food and it is inexpensive too.

Bring mini towel - toilets usually don't have ways to dry your hands

There are no trash cans on the streets but you can utilize trash cans in family marts, seven11 and other stores. There is no litter on the streets ... amazing. Eating while walking is considered rude. They don't do it and it is discouraged in some cases with signage.



Originally Posted by dgodave View Post
I'm quite excited about my upcoming tour. 2 weeks starting May 1. All in Kyushu. On the Brompton folder. Inns, airbnb, hotels - not camping.

Days 1 & 2: Fukuoka, get my bearings, look & ride around, get some things together.
Days 3 & 4: early train to Usa and ride the Kunisaki Peninsula
Day 5+ ???

Please let me know if you have any advice, thoughts, etc.
PedalingWalrus is offline  
Old 04-19-19, 12:59 PM
  #11  
Mountain Mitch
Senior Member
 
Mountain Mitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Back-of-beyond, Kootenays, BC
Posts: 554

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Your tour of the Kunisaki Peninsula will lead you to Beppu. It is a university town with some very strange attractions. The first thing you need to understand about Beppu is that is is directly downhill from Mount Aso. The is a huge ancient but still active volcano (in fact I heard of some road closures near there). As a result of the vulcanism, Beppu sits on a river of superheated water. There are huge steam vents in the streets just to relive the pressure. There are tons of Ďfoot onsensí - small pools to soak your feet in the hot water. Even the most basic Minshuku will have an Onsen but get to some of the big old ones. They are very hot and left me wondering how the locals could manage a decent length soak. The seven Buddhist hells are another attraction. Some are beautiful but some are a bit run down and exploit animals.

From Beppu you could ride up to Mount Aso (or take the train, thatís what I would do!). The Aso Cauldera would be a good ride but you will definitely have you work cut out for you to get there. Also check about road closures - I think itís only right near the Volcano. There is a great hostel right near the Aso train station. From there you have a big downhill to Kumamoto and beyond.

Your other two options from Beppu is to continue along the coast or take the ferry to Shikoku. I havenít been along the coastal route but it leads to Kagoshima, which is a very cool city!

I need to get back to Japan!

Last edited by Mountain Mitch; 04-19-19 at 01:03 PM.
Mountain Mitch is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.