Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

You're too low to be seen.

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

You're too low to be seen.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 02:39 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
I can't understand this commotion about being smacked in the face with a trike flag. Mine is located right behind the headrest and that is 19" forward of the back of the rear wheel. It has a two point attachment (DIY) so that I would have to be going a hundred miles an hour to bend the flagpole far enough back to hit someone behind me. If the driver of a car can't see a 7 foot long trike with the highest point (my helmet) three feet off the ground, they need to trade in their car for a seeing eye dog and a white cane.
Old 01-24-18, 03:37 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'll have to start taking pictures of this phenomenon because it's so common it's a stereotype. Most trikers mount them so they're angled back, and the wind angles it even further. Usually the wife or daughter who is on a hybrid or mountain bike is following, with the flag right in her face. The woman always takes up the rear position because the trike is so slow she'll drop him if she can't constantly keep him in view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Helluva 2.jpg (50.1 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 03-31-18 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 02:51 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I can't understand this commotion about being smacked in the face with a trike flag. Mine is located right behind the headrest and that is 19" forward of the back of the rear wheel. It has a two point attachment (DIY) so that I would have to be going a hundred miles an hour to bend the flagpole far enough back to hit someone behind me. If the driver of a car can't see a 7 foot long trike with the highest point (my helmet) three feet off the ground, they need to trade in their car for a seeing eye dog and a white cane.
I had a DF rider who was trailing me comment about that but, when I asked him about it later, he said that it didn't bother him.
Old 03-22-18, 10:10 PM
sch

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Has anyone devised a rigid pole mount suitable for a bright blinky light on top? I would think a pole at the
4'-4.5' above ground would give good visibility from the rear or sides, some of the ones I ride behind
are visible for 2-300 yds from behind. Of course some are mounted on seat stays and point at the sky
and become invisible in less than 50 yds.
Old 03-22-18, 10:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I had one pull up next to my Prius yesterday at a light. He was to my right and slightly ahead. I could see his flag but nothing else so had no information on which way he was headed. (I was taking a left so it didn't matter but if I were going straight ...)

Ben
Old 03-23-18, 06:36 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Originally Posted by Kontact
How many cyclists get run over while they are stopped in the middle of a road like dead skunk?
I was once rear-ended while straddling my hybrid in the crosswalk, waiting for a red light. Maybe if I was 7' tall instead of 5'11", or if I'd been displaying a little patch of orange 8 feet off the ground instead of a seatpost-mounted flasher, then the driver would have seen me and stopped in time.
Old 03-23-18, 10:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Too low??? An old wives tale used by inattentive drivers.

Wear a helmet and fly flags to ward off lawyers of inattentive drivers that hit you. If you dont they will claim that you are at fault.
Old 03-23-18, 12:47 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by rydabent

Wear a helmet and fly flags to ward off lawyers of inattentive drivers that hit you. If you dont they will claim that you are at fault.
(See post #18.)
Old 03-23-18, 12:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent

Just taking your post seriously - the helmet and flag mean that you live and can sue after you are hit. So being hit and winning your suit mean that you are a winner, rather than being too low and suffering that injury?

I know well the aftermath of crashes. In my view, I am the loser if my body has to go through it again. But that;s just me.

Ben
Old 03-24-18, 03:23 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I've only been riding a recumbent trike since Jan. 2018 but from what I've seen riding, folks in cages pay MORE attention to me riding my trike then they ever did riding my DF Comfort bicycle! LOL, those that use to "flip me off" while riding the road on the DF, now smile and wave as they go by? Maybe they think I'm handicapped, I don't know but I do fly a simple flag and have the same amount of lights front and rear as on my DF so I'd agree with the " Too LOW being a bit of BS"!! Jmho, Ymmv

Old 04-05-18, 08:31 PM
Jettech.Aram

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
theres a reason the skunk is "dead" on the road.
Old 04-06-18, 01:45 PM
BlazingPedals

Originally Posted by Jettech.Aram
theres a reason the skunk is "dead" on the road.
Crossing the road, un-reflectorized and unlit, at night? There's also a reason why nobody hits it in the daylight.
Old 04-06-18, 03:28 PM
Jettech.Aram

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't trying to be smart. Just thought analogy may have been different.
Old 04-06-18, 08:07 PM
mchell

Bikes: Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To sch.... I ride a Catrike Expedition, and I have the stock mast, but a much better flag. The mast is a two piece affair, so on the low portion, I have drilled a wine cork, yes, a wine cork, to slip over the mast which allows me to mount a "blinky" red light astern. I put a small brass set screw into the cork to keep it from rotating.
I had to drill the Catrike fitting at the frame (chain stay) to keep the mast from rotating, into which I inserted a simple "hairpin" so the blinking light is aimed back in the right direction and won't rotate, and it's easy to remove for transport. As well, I have a "Lezyne" Power Drive XL blinking a bright white strobe, also mounted on the same wine cork, but pointing forward, which clears my helmet when I'm seated on the trike. Apparently, I am very noticeable. No issues so far, although the Lezyne is difficult to charge USB. Mike
Old 04-07-18, 10:05 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Has anyone devised a rigid pole mount suitable for a bright blinky light on top? I would think a pole at the
4'-4.5' above ground would give good visibility from the rear or sides, some of the ones I ride behind
are visible for 2-300 yds from behind. Of course some are mounted on seat stays and point at the sky
and become invisible in less than 50 yds.
Talk to the good people at TerraCycle:
Mounts, Spare Parts, Accessories : TerraCycle, Exquisite Recumbent Parts & Accessories

(They are good people. And I'm not just saying that because I've known them for 20 years and they give me free beer.)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-07-18, 11:20 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@ Jeff Wills - hey, they never give ME free beer! Oh wait - I don’t drink alcohol. Lol
Old 04-12-18, 09:36 PM
Jettech.Aram

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may not be the best thread to ask but as I'm making my own recumbent...what is a good seat hight to shoot for? I was trying to get it as low as possible.
Old 04-13-18, 06:13 AM
BlazingPedals

Originally Posted by Jettech.Aram
This may not be the best thread to ask but as I'm making my own recumbent...what is a good seat hight to shoot for? I was trying to get it as low as possible.
Lower and more reclined is better for speed, while for 'standard' recumbents, you usually want to aim for a 'comfortable' seat height, usually in the 15-20" range. Many production SWB bent have seats around 25", which can be a bit of a stretch for un-tall people, especially if the seat gets reclined more. Recline is highly personal; if you sit straight up, you'll be putting a lot of your weight on your glutes and be prone to getting 'recumbent butt.' And (see above) less recline makes you slower on flat ground even if some people report that it lets you climb better. Unless you're going purely for speed, you want to be able to easily see the road over your feet and knees; which will be dependent not only on recline but on how high the pedals are.
Old 04-13-18, 07:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've always had the opinion that "too low to be seen" is a non-issue for recumbent bikes, an overblown fear mainly expressed by people who don't ride them. But I see on this thread that some of you mount flags, because you're too low? Is that just to head off criticism, or do you really think you need them?
Old 04-13-18, 09:15 AM
Jettech.Aram

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
15" to 20" seat hight

I'm at 17" right now. On paper at least it seems hight but ill stick with it, will say that this is more for fun and not ultimate speed so I'm mostly concerned with comfort, and portability. will keep posted on progress.
Old 04-13-18, 10:46 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I've always had the opinion that "too low to be seen" is a non-issue for recumbent bikes, an overblown fear mainly expressed by people who don't ride them. But I see on this thread that some of you mount flags, because you're too low? Is that just to head off criticism, or do you really think you need them?
https://www.bikeforums.net/20109448-post12.html
Old 04-15-18, 10:57 AM
MobiBike

Bikes: 90's Norco Nitro, 90's Softride traveler, 90's Jamis Dakota, 84 Schwinn High Sierra,

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"I saw you riding your recumbent the other day on that fun road.... but!!!! I couldn't see you"

uhhh what? if you saw me ummm well you saw me

HOWEVER a trike in town or city traffic is too low to see when you pull up on vehicle waiting at a stop light/sign for example. Out on the open road you are taller than the white line and they better be seeing that.

Still, trikes are wide, and can't get off that white line sometimes onto the shoulder, without dragging the dirt. Flags are wind drags, and flashing lights are the other option which does help, and the rear rack mounted light height of a 559 or larger wheel trike, is the exact same height as any other MTB or many road bikes. My flashing headlights used to get car drivers trying to dim my brights in the daylight too.

If you ride like you are invisible (defensive riding) it gives you the best edge you can get in/on any vehicle. That helmet is the next highest thing and the brighter the better imho.
Old 04-17-18, 10:31 AM
rtool

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had my trike five years now and have had only two people tell me they couldn't see me. I asked "if you couldn't see me how are you now beside me telling me this." They both rode away in a huff after giving me a small piece of their mind (and I do mean "small"). I have found that motor vehicles give me lots more room when they pass me now than they ever did on a DF. A few have actually asked if I need a lift home, they seemed to think I am handicapped. I said no and thanked them, but didn't tell them I wasn't handicapped. I use a flag and it keeps DFs from riding close to my back wheel.
Old 04-17-18, 10:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Just for the record this year will be my 7th year riding a trike. I have not even come close to being hit. As many have stated I get even more clearance from drivers now than even on my recumbent.
Old 04-26-18, 02:14 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I like to use a flag whenever I think I might be riding in traffic. I don't worry about people approaching from the rear so much as when I'm in an urban area or on a multi lane street where I may be riding alongside cars.

The flag that I use, by the way, is really a spinner. It's shaped more like a wind sock and moves around much more than a flag does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.