Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trailer hitch bike racks

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trailer hitch bike racks

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-18, 09:53 AM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trailer hitch bike racks

Hi everyone! I'm getting ready to add a hitch to the back of my car specifically for a bike rack. Now I need to get the rack.

Any suggestions for a trailer hitch bike rack suitable for a road bike, max capacity 2? Preferably one that doesn't cost 300 bucks?
Old 05-18-18, 10:10 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I see these on craigslist often, like at least once a week. If I were buying I'd expect to get one used for $75. They seem pretty durable.
Old 05-18-18, 11:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
What kind of car? My son got a bike rack to use with his 2005 Jeep Liberty. Even with one of the receiver adapters to extend the rack back far enough to miss the spare tire mounted on the rear, and as well offset it to raise it higher, he still had to be careful about dragging the bike tires when transitioning from slopes to flats or vice versa. He now uses one that mounts to the spare tire mount, still allowing use of the spare tire, and holds the bikes much higher so dragging isn't an issue. As well, it's much steadier than the one mounted in the trailer hitch receiver.

If you are limited to using a rack that has to use your trailer hitch receiver, then maybe those that have a wheel rest under them as part of their scheme will provide more protection. His first rack, they simply hung from hooks through the tops of the wheels. Secure enough. Just no protection from user mistakes of going from flat to steep and forgetting the bikes.
Old 05-18-18, 11:49 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Rack

i have an Allen rack. Don’t remember the model but works well but not height adjustable. It may be the 532 and holds three bikes. The 522 is a two bike. They do have one that is. It is the deluxe version. I saw the three bike version for $99. These are top tube support type. If you go this way get the anti rock bolt thing.

her new version. Oh I was told not to use this type with a carbon frame bike. I use with aluminum frame bike.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078Y...626&amp&sr=8-4

Old 05-18-18, 12:47 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
lots of ppl like the tray style (a little more expensive maybe but several features & benefits worth considering). I'm still old school hanging bikes by their top tube, got a used one on CL for 2 bikes & a new one I forget where for 4 bikes. keep an eye on whether you get a 2" or 1 1/14" receiver

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/b...587107454.html

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/b...582186242.html

if you have any wiggle, either at the hitch rack elbow or at the hitch itself there are a cpl ways to stop it / minimize it such as screw-in style hitch pins & safety straps. some racks come with screw in pins, many do not. I added one to one rack, the other was all set. one needs straps (4 bikes) the other (2 bikes) does not. but they both use screw in pins

this old "Subaru" rack fits any 1 1/4" hitch. works great for 1 bike & OK for 2. it would better for 2 bikes with straight top tubes. Wifey's bike has a steep sloped top tube so I have to use the other rack if we go anywhere together

this shows how safety straps are used on my Swagman Titan

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-18-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-18-18, 01:59 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Nashbar had their deluxe 2 bike rack on sale for $169.00 a few weeks ago so I ordered one. Just came this week and haven't opened the box yet. I know lots of people don't like anything touching the top tube but I figured I'd cut a piece of pipe insulation to slip over it.

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...bn-shdlx2-base
Old 05-18-18, 02:26 PM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some great information here so far. Thanks everyone! To answer @Iride01, the car is (don't laugh) a Miata. I've tried putting a trunk mount rack on it and it ends up ruining the paint. I found a nice hitch designed specifically for the Miata that hides when you aren't using it. Obviously I'm never going to haul a trailer behind the car, but this seemed like the best way to put a bike rack on the back. It will be rather low to the ground, so I will have to be careful with steep hills. I was thinking that I wanted a tray-based one rather than hanging, specifically so that if anything scraped bottom it would be the rack and not the bike's wheels. Unfortunately those get pricey. I like the Nashbar rack, and it is still at a good price. I may also take a peek at Craig's list.
Old 05-18-18, 02:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by wnl256
Miata
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-.../B202-114.html
Old 05-18-18, 03:07 PM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Second that. Have this bike rack for 3 bikes, very happy . It is also very stable and easy to store/remove.
Old 05-18-18, 04:00 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by wnl256
Some great information here so far. Thanks everyone! To answer @Iride01, the car is (don't laugh) a Miata. I've tried putting a trunk mount rack on it and it ends up ruining the paint. I found a nice hitch designed specifically for the Miata that hides when you aren't using it. Obviously I'm never going to haul a trailer behind the car, but this seemed like the best way to put a bike rack on the back. It will be rather low to the ground, so I will have to be careful with steep hills. I was thinking that I wanted a tray-based one rather than hanging, specifically so that if anything scraped bottom it would be the rack and not the bike's wheels. Unfortunately those get pricey. I like the Nashbar rack, and it is still at a good price. I may also take a peek at Craig's list.

I had a couple of different hitch racks in my Miata days (90 blue & 95 M-edition). Now I have only one make. Kuat. NOTHING touches the bike frame just the wheels. I have a couple of the Kuat NV's 1.25 racks for my Smart Fortwo and my Audi TT roadster and a 4 place NV 2" hitch rack for my motorhome (so I can take both our road and mtn bikes on trips. They are great racks and the company support is like no other. I have had all the rest over the past 40 years or so even had a custom hitch for my Jags back in the day but nothing comes close to a Kuat... good luck and enjoy top down fun to the trail head and back.
Old 05-19-18, 09:03 AM
rvdv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I’ve used this on my NC Miata for 2 years now, holds 2 bikes, hitch tray style, well built and inexpensive! Sportrack crest 2 SportRack US.
Old 05-20-18, 08:24 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I mounted a 1-1/4" hitch on my '94 miata. Used it with a inexpensive Bell hanging rack. Very sturdy for one bike.

We used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and later a Honda Pilot. I put a 2" hitch on the Jeep and U-Haul put one on the Honda. We used a 4-bike hanger rack. It must have weighed 50 pounds by itself. What I didn't like was mounting the accessory arm on my wife/daughters two bikes w/o top tubes. I figured the seat post would come loose and drop the bikes, so I would strap the frames to the rack too.

Now I use a swagman platform carrier on a 1-1/4" hitch on a Jetta. Not a good bike hauler. When packed with luggage and two bikes, the bottom of the hitch scrapes asphalt going into gas stations and up steeper hills.
Old 05-20-18, 09:51 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I have a Yakima Literider that works quite well.

It also makes a good work stand
Old 05-20-18, 05:32 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rvdv

I’ve used this on my NC Miata for 2 years now, holds 2 bikes, hitch tray style, well built and inexpensive! Sportrack crest 2 SportRack US.
Just an FYI...The Sportrack, Hollywood tray rack and the Performance tray rack (I used one for years) are pretty much the same. The only problem with tray racks are that if a car bumps it in a parking lot, you may need to bang it back into alignment. I kept a hammer in my trunk.
Old 05-20-18, 05:38 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
You didn't tell us what kind of bike you're transporting. Not sure if it's true but I've heard that carbon bikes should not be mounted on racks that support the top tube. I'm sure that someone will add a yes or nay to this.
Old 05-20-18, 09:20 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Just an FYI...The Sportrack, Hollywood tray rack and the Performance tray rack (I used one for years) are pretty much the same. The only problem with tray racks are that if a car bumps it in a parking lot, you may need to bang it back into alignment. I kept a hammer in my trunk.

That rack is identical to my Nashbar Shawdow 2 and it works good for a budget receiver hitch rack. It holds the bikes well and I add some bungee cords for additional security. I recently ordered extra tire mounts for my fatbike that fortunately Nashbar sells. Overall I’m happy with it at the price point it sells at.
Old 05-21-18, 05:17 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I just got a Saris SuperClamp EX for my new car, replacing an old Thule tray rack that was much bulkier and heavier to manage (the Saris is only 35 lbs). It's higher than the price range mentioned, but they have them on sale right now for about $380. Very well designed and will hold two bikes up to 60 lbs each (not a concern for me until my wife recently started talking about an eBike!).

Old 05-23-18, 09:10 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
I use this one:

2-Bike Hitch Rack | Prorack

I paid 69 dollars three years ago, now 109 dollars. Not clear how to order this from the website other than calling. Amazon has it but it looks a little shady:

https://www.amazon.com/Prorack-80624.../dp/B00BQUK2QK
Old 05-24-18, 08:03 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I bought a Hollywood rack a few years ago off of Amazon. It was under $200 if I recall and has taken a lot of neglect and held up well. Would recommend. Looks just like the sports rack above.

Old 05-24-18, 08:26 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts

The Thule is not inexpensive. You, however, get what you pay for.

In a recent rear-end collision my Thule hitch-mount rack sacrificed its “life” in order to spare greater damage to my C60 and to my car.

Regardless of which rack you end up getting, I recommend the 2” receiver. It is sturdier and has less tendency to vibrate.

Good luck and ride safely.
Old 05-25-18, 09:13 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I found a Reese 4 bike rack in the Wal Mart clearance aisle for $40. Wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long trip, it's pretty solid.
Old 05-25-18, 06:34 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
" I figured I'd cut a piece of pipe insulation to slip over it."

Pipe insulation works like sandpaper.
Old 06-02-18, 10:26 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have an older Sportrider from Performance Bicycle, made for them by Hollywood. I put a ratcheting vertical pole on it because the hooks that just squeezed the square tube would slowly slip upward off the top tube as I drove over rough roads. I see that the one from Performance and Nashbar both have the ratcheting vertical pole on them. The Performance model is $149. It doesn't fold toward the car like the Nashbar rack, but it angles upward after it leaves the receiver. If I was looking for one today for a regular bike I'd get the Performance rack. With the 2" to 1 1/4" adapter from U-Haul my rack clears the spare tire on my Wrangler.
Old 06-03-18, 04:11 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Here's the one I use:

(Picture taken from that link).

Holds two bikes by the wheels and frame. Doesn't care what kind of frame you have, it will hold it straight. By holding the wheels, there is zero chance of them rubbing against your car. Some folds so they can be left on the car when not in used. Some also has a lock on that sliding curved bar on top to prevent opportunistic theft.
Old 06-05-18, 08:56 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Not sure if it's true but I've heard that carbon bikes should not be mounted on racks that support the top tube. I'm sure that someone will add a yes or nay to this.
Been using a hitch-mount Yakima rack for my Pinarello carbon bikes since 2012. Supports the bike by the top tube. I do wrap a folded up microfiber cloth around the contact points before attaching the securing rubber straps. No problems at all and the bikes seem fine. Furthest I've transported the bikes this way is from SoCal to North Idaho, about 1,200 miles one-way, over a two-day drive.

- - -

Bike weight 17 pounds, or somewhere around that. Supported at two contact points on the top tube. I would think the forces and stresses of a 215 pound rider on a frame is much, much more than a 17 pound suspended weight.

Last edited by volosong; 06-05-18 at 09:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.