Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you commute with an electric bike?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Do you commute with an electric bike?
Yes, always.
11.11%
Yes, often.
7.19%
Yes, but only sometimes
6.54%
No, but I'm considering to start.
25.49%
No, never!
49.67%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Do you commute with an electric bike?

Old 12-09-18, 11:13 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Here is the difference in my experience riding my E-Assist bike.
A 23% hill 1 KM long without the assist am thinking I need to stop 3 times because I think I will die if I don't, but I didn't die and I didn't stop... Yay.
The same hill, with my 350 watts of assist I make it up the hill without thinking I will die, I still need/must pedal all I am worth... Woo Hoo.
Lets say the same hill with a 750 watt motor, I suspect I could make it up almost without pedaling with the throttle, see the difference...???

I would call my 350 watt E-Assist, and the 750 watt E-Bike a moped. JMO
That's fair. I'm not so interested in terminology, as how the technology works and potentially how to improve it. Were I to get interested in e-assist, it would probably be under the condition that I can program its behavior myself. That would hopefully be possible if I could buy just a motor and battery, and no controller. So I've fiddled around with calculations, trying to figure out how big a motor is actually necessary.
Old 12-09-18, 11:25 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
That's fair. I'm not so interested in terminology, as how the technology works and potentially how to improve it. Were I to get interested in e-assist, it would probably be under the condition that I can program its behavior myself. That would hopefully be possible if I could buy just a motor and battery, and no controller. So I've fiddled around with calculations, trying to figure out how big a motor is actually necessary.
Depends on how much "assist" you want, after a certain point it is no longer "assisting" it is "doing" the job of moving the bike thus it switches to the moped territory, IMO... 350 watts with no throttle is the magic number to keep it as a bicycle in the opinion of the lawmakers in the EU, and 750 watts with a throttle in the US...
Old 12-09-18, 11:34 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Depends on how much "assist" you want, after a certain point it is no longer "assisting" it is "doing" the job of moving the bike thus it switches to the moped territory, IMO... 350 watts with no throttle is the magic number to keep it as a bicycle in the opinion of the lawmakers in the EU, and 750 watts with a throttle in the US...
It's also apparent that people "need" bigger cars with larger engines in the US than in Europe. The point is to get people out of cars and onto e-bikes, and so you have to strike a balance. The inconvenience of speed and power limitations is a potential deterrent.
Old 12-09-18, 11:58 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I chose yes, but only sometimes. When I do use an ebike it is PAS only (used sparingly), there is no throttle. I mostly ride my Velomobile and sometimes my DF bikes which are all conventional human power bikes. One ebike is my winter bike with studded tires and used when there is snow and the roads are icy, approx 300 miles per year commuting in these conditions.

My other ebike is a cargo bike I use for carrying heavier things and making deliverys, but still don't use the motor often the even on this bike. I like to pedal under my own power for the most part but sometimes an ebike is a nice arrow to have in the quiver when needed!
Old 12-10-18, 09:58 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
and... There you go... With an E-Bike you can actually "choose", Pedal 100%, or not pedal 100%, or pedal and use assist when you NEED it/or even want it at what ever % you pick/need... wow, not going to fail …. IMO...
Yes, with an e-Bike you get those options. But you also get the liabilities of having to monitor your battery's charge level (more often than you already have to monitor your tire pressure or chain lubrication), and if you miscalculate and are out on a ride while your batteries die, you have a substantially heavier bike that you have to ride home with no assist. And that bike costs a lot more than 2-3x a non-electric bike.

In my present state of health, and with only an 11mi rt commute, the benefit offers no value to me, so no additional cost/detriment is worth it. For me in the future, I'm sure the cost/benefit analysis will tilt torwards an eBike. For many others, the cost/benefit is already a clear win for eBikes.
Old 12-10-18, 03:26 PM
physdl

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Yes, with an e-Bike you get those options. But you also get the liabilities of having to monitor your battery's charge level (more often than you already have to monitor your tire pressure or chain lubrication), and if you miscalculate and are out on a ride while your batteries die, you have a substantially heavier bike that you have to ride home with no assist. And that bike costs a lot more than 2-3x a non-electric bike.
It all depends on what you're doing with your bike. If you're just commuting, then it should be pretty simple - charge on one or both ends, depending on how big a battery you have, and size your battery to your commute. But if you have a variety of uses, then of course you'll need to plan a bit more. Still, you can always vary how much assist you get and, if you need longer, range, plan for less assist. This is not much different than with a regular bike - you shouldn't plan on biking 50 miles if you've never biked more than a mile at a time.
Old 12-10-18, 03:38 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

And depending on how convenient it is to charge your battery at work.
Old 12-13-18, 01:39 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm considering an ebike so that I can get back into commuting. My 15 mile commute was taking over an hour each way and left me too tired to do much else. I've had days where it took me almost 2 hours to get home if I'm fighting the wind. I test rode a few ebikes and enjoyed them. I'm just not enjoying the hills as much as I used to. It would be great to have an ebike in the stable. I wondering if 250 watts will be enough with the right gearing? I only average 90-100 watts by my own power.
Likes For Ky_Rider:
Old 12-13-18, 01:55 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by Ky_Rider
I'm considering an ebike so that I can get back into commuting. My 15 mile commute was taking over an hour each way and left me too tired to do much else. I've had days where it took me almost 2 hours to get home if I'm fighting the wind. I test rode a few ebikes and enjoyed them. I'm just not enjoying the hills as much as I used to. It would be great to have an ebike in the stable. I wondering if 250 watts will be enough with the right gearing? I only average 90-100 watts by my own power.
Depends on whether it's a hub or mid drive... Mid drive would probably be enough because it goes through the gears, a hub drive would probably be just not quite enough, IMO as to what works for me...
Old 12-13-18, 03:29 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Ky_Rider
you should ask in the ebike forum. ;-)

It depends on a lot of things, including your average speed. But yeah that will be a nice improvement for ya. Anything much over 350 watts is basically a moped. a 750 watt bike is going to overpower all of us. at 250-350 you are actually doing some usable work.

FYI - I used a 350 watt ebike on a 25mile round trip commute. Probably cut 25 minutes off my time (getting it down to about 60 minutes one way vs 80 on my own).
Old 12-13-18, 03:30 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I've been ebiking for about 5 years. But realistically I use it 10-20% of the time, because I would rather be on a fast road bike.

But if I'm in a hurry or just tired, its a nice option.
Old 12-13-18, 03:59 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I test rode a 2018 Trek CrossRip+ mid-drive a couple months ago. It only offers assist, and requires you to pedal. The best part of this eBike is that it dramatically reduces the stresses on the knees when taking off hard from a stop. Was considering getting this eBike for my wife, so it can bridge the power gap between us, while I ride my aBike (analog bike). After the test ride all I could think about was whether I could borrowing it, raise the saddle, and maybe put on an adjustable stem so I could stretch out the bars (she's 5'3" and I'm 5'10"), so I could use it to make my 15 mile commute every day of the week, even when my legs are sore from training hard the day before. Unfortunately she seems to want an upright hybrid, but I want her to get an aero drop bar, for my own selfish reasons. We are now at an eImpasse.
Old 12-13-18, 04:02 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Depends on whether it's a hub or mid drive... Mid drive would probably be enough because it goes through the gears, a hub drive would probably be just not quite enough, IMO as to what works for me...
That's just ridiculous. Hub drives are far more efficient on paved roads. Mid drives do offer more torque and are great for off road riding.
Old 12-13-18, 05:04 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by radroad
That's just ridiculous. Hub drives are far more efficient on paved roads. Mid drives do offer more torque and are great for off road riding.
I don't really understand why what I said was ridiculous... Going up hills with a hub drive with 250 watts of assist may not be enough where as a 250 watt mid drive would be better... No...???
Old 12-13-18, 05:57 PM
radroad

I don't really understand why what I said was ridiculous... Going up hills with a hub drive with 250 watts of assist may not be enough where as a 250 watt mid drive would be better... No...???
You are way out of touch. Perhaps you are talking about 2012 models of e-bikes.

For 2018 and 2019, only the very cheapest hub motor e-bikes are spec'ed with 250 watt motors:

https://www.amazon.com/ANCHEER-Elect.../dp/B01AU7KWXC

Otherwise, just about every hub motor on an e-bike of at least $1000 has at least 500 watts with a higher peak, generally 750 watts. For example, the radrover, $1700, has a 750 watt bafang motor. These bikes have no problem clearing the steepest of hills, as long as you are willing to do some pedaling. Even with throttle alone, it's possible to clear very steep hills, although you won't be doing 12-18 mph, more like 8 mph.

You are just generally poorly informed about ebikes.
Old 12-13-18, 08:17 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by radroad
You are way out of touch. Perhaps you are talking about 2012 models of e-bikes.

For 2018 and 2019, only the very cheapest hub motor e-bikes are spec'ed with 250 watt motors:

https://www.amazon.com/ANCHEER-Elect.../dp/B01AU7KWXC

Otherwise, just about every hub motor on an e-bike of at least $1000 has at least 500 watts with a higher peak, generally 750 watts. For example, the radrover, $1700, has a 750 watt bafang motor. These bikes have no problem clearing the steepest of hills, as long as you are willing to do some pedaling. Even with throttle alone, it's possible to clear very steep hills, although you won't be doing 12-18 mph, more like 8 mph.

You are just generally poorly informed about ebikes.
Okeydokey... I believe we, me, and Ky_Rider were talking about 250 watts specifically... You can certainly get a 500 watts+ hub motor to beat a 250 watt mid-drive... Basically under any conditions...
Old 12-13-18, 09:01 PM
radroad

Okeydokey... I believe we, me, and Ky_Rider were talking about 250 watts specifically... You can certainly get a 500 watts+ hub motor to beat a 250 watt mid-drive... Basically under any conditions...
You could have a conversation about 5 speed freewheels, too, that doesn't mean you could find them on a 2019 model.

500 and 750 watt hub motors are now standard. Usually with higher peaks too.

250 watt mid drive motors typically deliver significantly more power at peak than their nominal figure as well. So 250 watts nominal doesn't really tell you how much power they are capable of generating. A 250 watt mid drive can deliver up to 600 watts peak in some cases. 500 and 750 watt hub motors can generate 750 to 1000 watts peak, depending on the brand, model and spec.

The bottom line is that both hub motors and mid drives will produce excellent power and get you up most any hill. That's what they were developed for, after all.
Old 12-13-18, 09:10 PM
radroad

Here's an e-bike with a 500 watt hub motor. It can climb 23% grades both on and off road with relative ease. Notice the rider is not even breathing hard on 23% grades, and narrating during the ride without any difficulty:

Old 12-14-18, 11:08 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Until my needs or abilities change I don't see the need for one. But if that time comes, I'd consider getting a scooter while considering an ebike, a scooter seems like it would have more capabilities.
Old 12-14-18, 11:59 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Until my needs or abilities change I don't see the need for one. But if that time comes, I'd consider getting a scooter while considering an ebike, a scooter seems like it would have more capabilities.
You will have to change your name at that point to “yes motor.”
Old 12-14-18, 01:35 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s

You will have to change your name at that point to “yes motor.”
And by scooter I meant something like a Vespa, not a kick scooter.
Old 12-14-18, 03:22 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
In my present state of health, and with only an 11mi rt commute, the benefit offers no value to me
That can change quickly, I found out :/
Old 12-15-18, 04:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Sad but true.
Old 12-16-18, 11:26 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
When I want to pretend that I am riding a bicycle so that I can partake of bicycle inspired infrastructure without having to actually pedal a bicycle, then I will get a motor and put it on my bike or buy one of these motorbikes that sort of look like a bicycle. Maybe I should read up on this topic in the electric motor bike forum and come back here to answer the poll.
Old 12-17-18, 09:40 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Don't bother, looks like you're perfectly able to be a d1ck without any need for research

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.