Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Cracked ribs

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 02:55 PM
oortcloud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cracked ribs

I ended up cracking my ribs in a heavy fall playing soccer yesterday. Confirmed today at the doctor and am at home from work icing it and just generally in a lot of pain when I move around. The doctor said I should stay out of work for a couple of days and not to actually workout for 10 days. After that cycling is fine but no contact sports for good while.

I have read varying things; what I'm wondering actually is if jumping on the trainer might speed recovery in the next few days. Aside from contact, from what I've read these injuries just take time and the deep breathing from trainer rides will actually help. They especially emphasize the need to keep trying to breath deeply in order to avoid pneumonia. I am frustrated because this is my first road season back racing after many years raising kids, job, other demands. . .

Anyone else have advice or experience with this injury?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-19, 03:23 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I've ridden and raced with a cracked rib. It's really extremely unpleasant but didn't really stop me from doing anything I otherwise would have done. Did your doc give you any specific reasons for staying away from the bike for 10 days? Is it just pain management, or is something displaced (risk of lung puncture) or something else?
Old 01-02-19, 03:41 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Depending on the severity of the break, there could be concern that a fall would cause a puncture of the lung.

I've had a hole in my lung, along with a collapse. It's not pretty.

That said, I've also raced with most of the ribs on one side broken. In that case, it did prevent me from doing what I normally could do (i.e. winning) because I couldn't get out of the saddle, and thus couldn't sprint.
Old 01-02-19, 04:28 PM
oortcloud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I've ridden and raced with a cracked rib. It's really extremely unpleasant but didn't really stop me from doing anything I otherwise would have done. Did your doc give you any specific reasons for staying away from the bike for 10 days? Is it just pain management, or is something displaced (risk of lung puncture) or something else?
I think it is pain management? I'm heartened to hear that as long as the pain is tolerable I can continue to keep riding. The pain is decidedly not tolerable today, though, and this is why I'm off work.
Old 01-02-19, 05:05 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Well, provided you're not at risk of a lung puncture. I imagine that sucks a lot more than 10 days off!
Old 01-02-19, 05:39 PM
oortcloud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Well, provided you're not at risk of a lung puncture. I imagine that sucks a lot more than 10 days off!
It's one of those weird situations where the pain is so bad (especially at night and in the morning) that one thinks it has got to be something more severe. That is why I went to the doc.

I have to honestly say that I'd way rather have this than another concussion. Any day.
Old 01-02-19, 05:41 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I had five cracked ribs once, it sucked. I couldn't get off the couch without help, much less ride the trainer..

I dunno about the trainer/riding healing them faster, but you obviously need to work on breathing in general - that's what the little "air bong" thingy they give you is for.

Be patient, you'll heal up. Eventually.

my race videos
Old 01-09-19, 04:35 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Depending on the severity of the break, there could be concern that a fall would cause a puncture of the lung.

I've had a hole in my lung, along with a collapse. It's not pretty.

That said, I've also raced with most of the ribs on one side broken. In that case, it did prevent me from doing what I normally could do (i.e. winning) because I couldn't get out of the saddle, and thus couldn't sprint.
there's a non-zero chance that if I crash and snap a clavicle off the plate the plate could cut my carotid artery, or if I land on the other side my jugular vein. not super related to ribs, but one of those things I haven't forgotten.