Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Can't post in the Garmin Forums

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 03-16-19, 09:09 AM
nick_m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is anyone able to post to the Garmin Forums, specifically the Edge 520? I've tried to log-in using 2 accounts (one created new for this test) on 3 computers, but the page never replaces "login" with my username (the indication that you're logged-in) and I never see the "Post" button for new threads. If I intentionally enter the wrong PW it rejects me, so I'd assume that I'm being logged-in when I enter the correct info. A web search on this topic returns issues dating back at least two years, so I know it's come and gone before. The Latest Activity tab shows postings today, so I know some users are posting. Does anyone have a suggestion how I can gain access to post?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-16-19, 10:16 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Just logged into the 1000 forum and created a new post. Worked fine after I checked the box “I am not a robot”
Old 03-16-19, 11:35 AM
nick_m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for letting me know, Steve. I guess you get the CAPTCHA after hitting the new post button; I don't even get that far. Using the "Contact Us" link says I'm not authorized to access that page. Classic.
Old 03-16-19, 12:32 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 934 Posts
The login stuff on that site doesn't work very well on mobile devices. Try a regular computer.
Old 03-16-19, 03:00 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

My first thought was "why bother" as there's been very few times I found any solution to an issue in the user forum. It's been so long since I went there, I had to go dig out my password.
Old 03-16-19, 04:57 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
+1 to what @Steve B. says. Not very often that I find anything useful on their forums. Besides this, their volunteer admins must think they actually work for Garmin. They are not very welcoming there.
Old 03-16-19, 05:40 PM
nick_m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The login stuff on that site doesn't work very well on mobile devices. Try a regular computer.
I tried two Win7/64 computers, an XP laptop, my iphone and my ipad, and I tried enabling flash and using incognito mode... no joy.

Thanks, all, for the candid assessment of the site. I just got a Kickr and used my 520 to virtually ride a favorite route, but found that the trainer required much more effort than the actual ride. I'm new to smart trainers and power and was hoping a 520 user might lend some insight. I guess I'll look for a Wahoo forum.
Old 03-16-19, 06:24 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by nick_m
I tried two Win7/64 computers, an XP laptop, my iphone and my ipad, and I tried enabling flash and using incognito mode... no joy.

Thanks, all, for the candid assessment of the site. I just got a Kickr and used my 520 to virtually ride a favorite route, but found that the trainer required much more effort than the actual ride. I'm new to smart trainers and power and was hoping a 520 user might lend some insight. I guess I'll look for a Wahoo forum.
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/?h...o-elemnt-users
Old 03-16-19, 07:24 PM
nick_m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Steve. Is that your subtle way of suggesting I dump my 520 random elevation generator for a Wahoo Element?
Old 03-18-19, 11:50 AM
nick_m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a solution to my problem, so I thought I'd post it for others to find...

The problem was that Garmin never sent an account activation for my original registration, nor for the follow-up account I created to test the process. Here's what finally worked: I used the option to resend the account activation code (search on Garmin's support page). The instructions say you can simply enter the account e-mail and request a new code, but I had to fill out all the fields, including username, so I essentially had to create a new account on the same e-mail.

Nick
Old 03-18-19, 05:36 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by nick_m
Thanks, Steve. Is that your subtle way of suggesting I dump my 520 random elevation generator for a Wahoo Element?
Wahoo isn't going to be any more accurate as an elevation tracker, so whichever unit works.

One thing I noticed after using a Bolt, discovering some issues, using the Wahoo group and contacting Wahoo, was they were not really any better than Garmin at getting stuff fixed that I thought were important. So back to Garmin I went and I've been reasonably happy with my 1000.
Old 03-18-19, 06:06 PM
nick_m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Wahoo isn't going to be any more accurate as an elevation tracker
Well I guess that's both bad and good news... looks like I'll stick with the devil that I know for now.

This was all just about getting used to a new trainer and seeing what I could do with the tools at hand... with the 520, not much. What I really need to do is settle on one of the major apps to catch up on training for a mountain century in 4 months. I'm leaning toward TrainerRoad; do you have any advice?
Old 03-18-19, 07:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I think TrainerRoad is really good for what you want. If you want a free month, you can PM me your first and last names and an email address. Fair warning, they are going to want a credit card to register, but they are really good about cancelling.
Old 03-19-19, 06:52 PM
nick_m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, unterhausen... I'm signed up with Trainer Road, now I have to figure out where to begin. I'll set up the PC tonight; probably start with an FTP test tomorrow.