Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Christine, The Rusty Raleigh Pro

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 07:57 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts

There I was minding my own business cruising the bay of lost souls, anyway I bought a 1974 Raleigh Professional frameset from a seller I have done business with who is local to me. It was love at first sight, her rusty patina took decades to develop, sitting in a shed in the high desert of California. Christine is structurally sound with excellent threading, no damage, no internal corrosion or external pitting, however there is some chrome loss (75% remaining) and near as i can tell the frame and fork are arrow straight. So I will call this a good buy at the price.
The current work is arresting the corrosion and salvaging what is left of the paint, the goal is preservation of the finish as I'm very fond of the patina. The corrosion removal is accomplished with rags soaked in Evapo-Rust and Surf City Killer Chrome Polish, both mild enough to leave the paint intact but stout enough to dissolve the rust. Final preservation will be a wipedown or two with boiled linseed oil to seal the surface followed by multiple coats of wax. I'm about 50% done with the preservation in the photo below.

The Starting Point.

As for the build, it will be a rusto-mod, transmission will be 7700 Dura Ace as shown below.

Hubs are a combination of large flange Campy Record front and Sun XCD 130mm rear hub, clamped with early Campy Record straight QR's, not quite a matched set of hubs but in the spirit of C&V. The Sun hub is somewhere between England and my front door.

The headset is a nice alloy Campy Record. The ink logo will be removed.

That about it for now, more stuff as it happens.
: Mike
Old 04-03-19, 08:03 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
Fun!
Old 04-03-19, 08:09 PM
wedgeSG

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 5.2 '14 Giant Thrive - (wife's)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Don’t remember where I first heard this line, but it always stuck in my head....
”Beware the rider of the rusty bike that has a spotless drivetrain”
Old 04-03-19, 09:07 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by wedgeSG
Don’t remember where I first heard this line, but it always stuck in my head....
Soon I'll forget where I heard it, but I too will remember that line. Good stuff!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 04-03-19, 09:37 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
You could try an oxalic acid bath for the rust
Old 04-03-19, 11:38 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Originally Posted by Narhay
You could try an oxalic acid bath for the rust
Hi Narhay,
Thank you for the advice, because the inside of the frame is corrosion free and the paint is very thin I am using the gentlest means possible to remove the corrosion and leave what's left of the paint. The photo below is an example of the look I'm going for, just not as extreme. The idea is to preserve the weathered finish and let the age shine through.

Old 04-04-19, 05:07 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Silver & Black Raleigh Pro

I've always like the silver and black Raleigh Pros. Missed out on a number of them on eBay.

Having grown up in the rust bowl and worked in a steel mill, I can SMELL rust. To that end, I've avoided buying any bike or frame with any visible rust, that is until last year.

The lavender Raleigh Competitions from the early 70's started popping online and they piqued my interest. Late one evening in February last year, I made a bid on one of them on eBay. I accidentally bid $100 to much. Anyone else done that?

Anyway after I got the bike there was so many things wrong with it that the seller credited me back $100.

My excuse for buying the bike was I wanted something to ride on the dirt sections of Eroica CA. Didn't make it to the affair last year but after I went through the bike I rode it for much of the year so I got my money's worth out of it.

My only rust bucket. eBay picture, the rust is primarily on the underside of the top tube. I can't see it when I'm riding so I don't think about it.

After photo:

The bar tape sort of matches the rust!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to doing some gravel grinding on this bike.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 04-04-19, 06:37 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
I would not use boiled linseed oil for a finish on the outside of a bicycle, use clear spray Krylon
Old 04-04-19, 11:29 AM
belacqua

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
rusto-mod, lol
Old 04-04-19, 10:29 PM
Nemosengineer 

Thanks everyone for your replies and thoughtful suggestions. Christine is living up to her name and almost building herself, parts are showing up right on schedule.
Things that showed up today... First a nice Brooks Professional with the cantle plate stamped B73, so if you believe in the date stamp fairy tail, the seat would be correct for the bike. This has to be the thirstiest Brooks I have ever seen, three coats of Proofide an hour apart and it's still sucking it up, That's a good thing as it came out of the box I couldn't tell if tt was brown or black, it's black with reddish highlights in the sun.

The Dura Ace 118.5 bottom bracket also arrived today.

So with all this Dura Ace stuff, I would guess some one is wondering how I'm going to shift it? Old School Baby!!!

That's about it for tonight, The next installment will be the Mafac Competition brake build up with more than a few tweeks.
Old 04-05-19, 08:16 AM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Love all those shiny DA and Campy parts! It’s going to be pretty!
Old 04-05-19, 08:23 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
You're doing a really smart picking and choosing of eras in your build. I recently built a customer a pair of wheels on those XCD hubs--shiny Pacenti rims, re spaced a 7 speed cassette with 9 speed spacers and a
9 speed high gear cog. He has a bike with 120mm spacing that can use Shimano 9 speed rear shifting now.
Old 04-05-19, 03:47 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by wedgeSG
That is like beware of the old guy on the ski lift with duct taped boots and this years race skis

Old 04-05-19, 07:05 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Hanging around the co-op the other night, I saw that someone had chucked a Super Course MKII into the recycling. I thought it was worth saving and brought it in and looked it over. It has that same sort of light rusting on the surface of the tubes. I'm convinced Carlton was doing something with the paint job that allowed it to rust under the paint. That said, the professional is one of my favorites and I've tried more than once to secure one in my size. That bike might be worth a repaint.
Old 04-08-19, 10:00 PM
Nemosengineer 

Thank you everyone who has replied to this thread, lately I have been working weekends plus extended hours and I'm sorry to say I do not have the brain space to reply to everyone at this moment, I very much like your replies as it helps with my motivation to keep the project moving.
Little successes, the rear dropouts cleaned up nicely but I have the wrong length screws...

So... McMaster Carr to the rescue, now I have a lifetime supply for $20.00

Cleaned and removed the forging flash from the stem.

The Ambrosio Excellence rims showed up, NOS from England.

Best Wishes To All, Thanks Again: Mike
Old 04-08-19, 11:24 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Feldman
You're doing a really smart picking and choosing of eras in your build. I recently built a customer a pair of wheels on those XCD hubs--shiny Pacenti rims, re spaced a 7 speed cassette with 9 speed spacers and a
9 speed high gear cog. He has a bike with 120mm spacing that can use Shimano 9 speed rear shifting now.
Can you explain that? I don't get how you can have 9 speeds with 120mm spacing.
Old 04-09-19, 07:12 PM
Nemosengineer 

Originally Posted by samkl
Can you explain that? I don't get how you can have 9 speeds with 120mm spacing.
More like 7 speeds, see the attached video for how it's done.

https://www.veloduo.co.uk/blogs/news...m-oln-cassette

Old 04-10-19, 09:38 PM
Nemosengineer 

I'm having fun here in the Bike Forums, lots of great people, and tons of wonderful ideas. Back to the project... Tires and tubes and bar tape all showed up today, but the Item I really need is the Sun XCD rear hub. For a change I am having the wheels built first as it makes fitting of the cockpit easier with fewer changes as the bike goes together.
I think I have found a wheelbuilder, a shop in San Diego called Jet Bicycle Wheels (https://www.jetbicyclewheels.com/about), So the plan is to go have the conversation about wheels and take it from there.

Raleigh Pro's are interesting frame sets with alot of minor changes as production evolved. One of the more interesting changes was a low trail fork that was fitted during late 1973 production for a short period of time, Christine has the low trail fork. This was kind of a surprise as I was planning the build, some things you have to run with, so the build has a randonneur-ish kink to it, hence the wide range gearing, It will run the small T.A. front rack (this also drove the decision to use Mafac centerpull brakes), decaleur, and a compact rando bag. Good, bad, or ugly we will all find out how this works.

Old 04-14-19, 05:01 PM
Nemosengineer 

Making progress, Deburred and deflashed Mafac Competition brakes in a scotch brite finish waiting final polish. Test fitted the front brake in the T.A. rack, no issues. the rack will be holding up a Ostrich F-104N handlebar bag.

Old 04-17-19, 10:51 PM
Nemosengineer 

The UPS guy dropped off a nice Campagnolo aero seatpost today, I bought it because it's pretty and sleek, and it was what was available in a 27.4 mm size. The funny thing about that is everything I have read says 27.2 mm??? So in the traditional English practice of running out of the correct size seat tube, this frame has a 27.4 mm seat tube all the way down to where the butting starts, it was not reworked or reamed.

The Sun XCD hub had to be reordered as the original vendor refunded my payment after waiting 25 days... The good news is the new vendor, Velo Duo Cycles in England shipped the day after the hub was ordered and is currently going through customs in Los Angeles. So I'm really happy about this and it should be at my door maybe by Saturday!!!

Old 04-19-19, 09:06 PM
Nemosengineer 

Tonight I have my "Jan Heine" on, I'm playing with a new Tanaka decaleur and Ostrich F-104N rando bag. Did you know that the Tanaka decaleur only fits threadless stems... That is true, as configured it mounts to 1 1/8 inch or with the optional adapter 1 inch threadless stems. if you want it to fit a 22.2 mm quill stem you have to make or have made a custom split bushing adapter of the following dimensions...

O,D. 1.125"

I,D. 0.874"

O.A.L. 0.825" Split the bushing along the major axis with a ,125" end mill. This split bushing took less than half an hour to spin out at home, it's very easy to make

The end result is a rock solid mount and to my eye looks pretty good. The Tanaka decaleur is a bolt on fit for the Ostrich F104 bags and makes for a easy installation. The overall quality of the bag and decaleur is excellent, the combination sits at bar level in combination with the T.A rack. The only thing left is to build a cleat that firmly engages the T.A. rack, the cleat will attach to a stiffener that will be installed inside the bottom of the bag.

Old 04-20-19, 05:04 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,687 Times in 2,609 Posts
That’s an impressive build! FWIW, I also had a Raleigh Pro from that era that took a 27.4mm post. Weird!
Old 04-20-19, 08:15 AM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
Love how that stem turned out. I'm curious about your polishing process--I've been trying to improve my hand polishing, had ok results working from 220, to 600, to 1500 wet. At this point I've experimented with buffing wheels and polishing compound on a dremel, but my results have been cloudy and streaky. How high of grit do you go by hand? Do you use a buffing wheel? Any advice on polishing compound?
Old 04-20-19, 04:40 PM
Nemosengineer 

Originally Posted by nlerner
That’s an impressive build! FWIW, I also had a Raleigh Pro from that era that took a 27.4mm post. Weird!
I think thats the real beauty of high end English bicycles, everyone of them is an individual and no two alike. Thanks for the complement!!!

Old 04-20-19, 05:52 PM
Nemosengineer 

Originally Posted by eeuuugh
Love how that stem turned out. I'm curious about your polishing process--I've been trying to improve my hand polishing, had ok results working from 220, to 600, to 1500 wet. At this point I've experimented with buffing wheels and polishing compound on a dremel, but my results have been cloudy and streaky. How high of grit do you go by hand? Do you use a buffing wheel? Any advice on polishing compound?
Generally I will start out with deep cleaning and corrosion removal using brass brushes. If the part is corroded bad enough or the part I want to polish is anodized, I will use easy-off oven cleaner to strip the anodizing and corrosion or a 24 hour soak in pine-sol diluted 50-50 with water for removal of general surface corrosion if the part is not anodized. Next step is to go over the part with 3M extra fine gray scotch brite pad in soapy water until I have a uniform non reflective surface.
At this point I decide what work is required to remove parting or forging lines, and blend or remove any damage that may exist. this is done with an assortment of swiss files (I use chalk on my files to keep the aluminum from sticking to the file and being drug through the finnish), as shown in the photo below.
After the part is fully detailed start your sanding with 320 grit or finer, then 600, 800, and finally 1500 grit, at various points in the process I will get the part out in direct sunlight to see what I have missed and where more work is required as I always miss something.
When I'm happy with the result of all my sanding, I use Mothers Mag polish and various soft rags and it may take 2 or three polishing sessions to get the result I want. As a side note various alloys of aluminum will take a polish better than others, harder alloys will polish the best, if I'm working on something from France or a softer alloy do a final buff with very fine scotch brite and skip any sanding beyond 600 grit, then polish from there as the really soft alloys contain a lot of zinc and dont polish well, usea good car wax after polish.
Anyways that's how I do it, and for me I view the process as Zen time and it makes my OCD happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.