Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Benefit to GPS - phone pairing?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 09:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts

One of those questions struck me (as I was riding my bike!) this weekend. For my normal use - downloading routes and/or training plans occasionally, uploading after rides while charging the GPS - would there be a benefit to having a GPS that pairs with my cell phone? My normal usage is about 1.5 hours daily commuting, with rides of four hours or more on weekends, which depletes my old GPS battery perhaps 25-30% on a commute, and 40%+ on the weekend. As a result, I'm plugging the GPS in every day or three to charge it, and just do the file exchange while it's plugged in.

I haven't found it necessary to read my text messages while riding, get a visual indicator of incoming phone calls, or any of the other "benefits" a paired GPS would offer me. Not that that'll stifle discussion and marketing.
Old 04-08-19, 10:17 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
One of those questions struck me (as I was riding my bike!) this weekend. For my normal use - downloading routes and/or training plans occasionally, uploading after rides while charging the GPS - would there be a benefit to having a GPS that pairs with my cell phone? My normal usage is about 1.5 hours daily commuting, with rides of four hours or more on weekends, which depletes my old GPS battery perhaps 25-30% on a commute, and 40%+ on the weekend. As a result, I'm plugging the GPS in every day or three to charge it, and just do the file exchange while it's plugged in.

I haven't found it necessary to read my text messages while riding, get a visual indicator of incoming phone calls, or any of the other "benefits" a paired GPS would offer me. Not that that'll stifle discussion and marketing.
- If the device allows a Live Track function, you can have somebody be notified, usually as an e-mailed link, to follow your location - or the devices location, yuk, yuk. Good if you mt. bike solo, have cell service, do this at night in winter ?.
- Completed rides saved and sent to a smartphone via BT for the phone to then send the completed ride up to an activity tracking app. Does it instantly if there's cell service, or you can wait and do it near a WiFi connection you've set up. It's wire free.
- If using a Wahoo, easy to create a navigable route in RideWithGPS, than wirelessly port the route to the device via the smartphone app. On Garmin same thing if you've created a route on Garmin Connect, it shows up on the Garmin Connect app and can be sent to the device.
Old 04-08-19, 11:28 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I switched from a Garmin 500 to 520. I always had to plug the 500 into the computer to upload, which conveniently charged it too. The 520 pairs to the phone so it uploads automatically as soon as I'm done. Which means I sometimes forget to charge it.

520 does have the live tracking, which, like most things involving smartphones and blue tooth, works most of the time but is not 100%. My wife does like having this feature particularly when I'm out on solo rides. The logic of what sets it off puzzles me. I've set it off 4 times just by stopping in my driveway, and these were not particularly abrupt stops. But when I actually fell over on my bike, it did not go off (I was already stopped).
Old 04-08-19, 11:59 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Live Track, accident detection/ reporting, messaging (Maybe life is better without), weather alerts, possibly other integrations from IQ apps (Garmin).

Note, live track and incident detection are distinct features. One allows someone to watch your progress throughout, the other sends a message if you've fallen and can't get up (or if you've been mis-detected as being in that state).

I can't think of any other purposes for realtime connectivity. I do like the automatic post ride upload. I can review how the ride went immediately upon pressing save.
Old 04-08-19, 01:22 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I use a dedicated GPS for biking, not a cycle specific one but a recreational grade one that uses AA batteries. I load maps and data into the GPS at home on my computer. Occasionally transfer tracks or waypoints from the GPS to my computer. But I can't imagine a reason to want my GPS to send any data to my cell phone.

For my next tour, I have put a bunch of waypoints into Maps.Me app on my cell so it is easier to plan routes, etc. on a 5.5 inch phone screen while on a tour instead of trying to do that on the tiny little GPS screen. But I am doing that all from my computer before I leave town.
Old 04-09-19, 07:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
- Completed rides saved and sent to a smartphone via BT for the phone to then send the completed ride up to an activity tracking app. Does it instantly if there's cell service, or you can wait and do it near a WiFi connection you've set up. It's wire free.
Originally Posted by jimincalif
I switched from a Garmin 500 to 520. I always had to plug the 500 into the computer to upload, which conveniently charged it too. The 520 pairs to the phone so it uploads automatically as soon as I'm done. Which means I sometimes forget to charge it.
As @jimincalif notes, wire free also means charge free. :/

- If using a Wahoo, easy to create a navigable route in RideWithGPS, than wirelessly port the route to the device via the smartphone app. On Garmin same thing if you've created a route on Garmin Connect, it shows up on the Garmin Connect app and can be sent to the device.
Maybe it's my fat fingers and old eyes, but all the routes I've created ended up being created on a laptop or desktop. That's why I don't see a benefit to "wirelessly port(ing) the route to the device via the smartphone." While I'm sitting at the computer with a large(ish) display and a mouse, why not just send the route to the GPS which is connected and charging?
Old 04-09-19, 08:53 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I haven't hooked my GPS to a computer in probably close to a year.

I have an 12 port USB charging station where all my devices get charged - five lights, GPS, cameras, etc.

Routes get created on the computer and both rides and routes are synced through my phone without a need to plug the device into anything. I can do it in my kitchen while I get bottles ready or in the car at the ride start. .

-Tim-
Old 04-09-19, 09:50 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
I am (unfortunately) tethered to my phone most times, so it's nice to see an alert pop up with an email or text message--and whether or not I need to stop to answer it. Just the other day, I actually got to use the reply feature for something that needed tending to, but not more than a one-word answer.

10/10
Old 04-09-19, 10:42 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I use a Garmin watch. Absolutely love the phone integration, more off the bike than on it.

​​​​​​
Old 04-09-19, 11:25 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
As @jimincalif notes, wire free also means charge free. :/

Maybe it's my fat fingers and old eyes, but all the routes I've created ended up being created on a laptop or desktop. That's why I don't see a benefit to "wirelessly port(ing) the route to the device via the smartphone." While I'm sitting at the computer with a large(ish) display and a mouse, why not just send the route to the GPS which is connected and charging?
If you have a cell phone with data service (does anybody not use some form of data ?), the transfer of the completed ride data to the cloud based activity log, is essentially free.

As well, I pretty much never create a new course/route on the Garmin Connect mobile app. I do it on the Garmin Connect website, for the reasons you describe. Once created it's then listed on the mobile Connect app and can than be sent to the device via BT. I don't need to to bring the unit upstairs at home to hook up a USB cable to my laptop (My Garmin lives in the basement and I charge it there) and is why I don't create a route in RWGPS. I grab the route on the Garmin mobile app and send to the device. Very easy.
Old 04-10-19, 07:32 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Phone integration seems to me to be kind of in the oxymoron camp when it comes to bike computers. Live track, accident detection etc... are all easily done at low power on the phone WITHOUT needing to go through the hassle of pairing it to the GPS. My Edge 1000 drives me nuts with the errors I get from it dropping the BT connection.

J.
Old 04-10-19, 08:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

For those of us who are sometimes on-call, pop up text and phone messages is a nice feature.

Live tracking, live segments and accident detection I could do without.

-Tim-
Old 04-10-19, 09:31 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
My wife loves the incident notification when i ride alone. Its a nice feature the rest i have used and turned off. Texts, notifications, Strava segment notifications I turned it all off so I could actually enjoy my ride.

I too dont use a computer to head unit unless i have to do an update. Phone syncing is where its at!
Old 04-11-19, 08:24 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Some of us are able to enjoy rides because we can get text and call notification, not in spite of it.

-Tim-
Old 04-11-19, 09:03 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by sdmc530
couldn't agree more, biking is to get away and relax and destress, not take the busyness of life with you. Sometimes a "unplug" is what a person needs
You missed my point and are agreeing with something I didn't say.

I am sometimes on-call for work and loose money if I miss a text or phone call. Being able to see a text or phone call on the GPS allows me to pull over and take the call without loosing money. Without it I would not be able to ride as I don't always hear a phone in the jersey pocket due to traffic, wind, etc.

In this case GPS/phone integration enhances my rides, not detracts from it.

-Tim-
Old 04-11-19, 09:05 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
You missed my point and are agreeing with something I didn't say.

I am sometimes on-call for work and loose money if I miss a text or phone call. Being able to see a text or phone call on the GPS allows me to pull over and take the call without loosing money. Without it I would not be able to ride as I don't always hear a phone in the jersey pocket due to traffic, wind, etc.

In this case GPS/phone integration enhances my rides, not detracts from it.

-Tim-
Sorry Tim, I read that completely wrong....I am way off. I will delete my post. Sorry about that, I did get that very backwards.