Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

are my bottom bracket threads past redemption

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 02:54 PM
muncher37

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so i have an oldish steely frame that i love to death it has lots and lots of sentimental value. but the threads for the bottom bracket are in rough shape and are in desperate need of repair are they salvageable?
Old 04-09-19, 04:15 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
...what happened to them?

Bottom bracket threads can be re-tapped. You could also look into unthreaded threadless bottom brackets.

Last edited by PeopleAreIdiots; 04-09-19 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 04:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
If it's just corrosion that concerns you, you can get the threads chased to clean them out. If they're cross-threaded or stripped you might have more of a problem. In order of increasing difficulty: There are threadless bottom bracket cartridges from e.g. Edco, Mavic, YST, Velo-Orange, etc. that can install into a stripped shell. Or you can get the shell reamed and tapped to use Italian thread (assuming it isn't already Italian thread; if so a threadless cartridge is in your future). Or you can have a frame builder fill the damaged threads with brass and re-cut fresh threads into the brass.
Old 04-10-19, 01:25 PM
muncher37

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If it's just corrosion that concerns you, you can get the threads chased to clean them out. If they're cross-threaded or stripped you might have more of a problem. In order of increasing difficulty: There are threadless bottom bracket cartridges from e.g. Edco, Mavic, YST, Velo-Orange, etc. that can install into a stripped shell. Or you can get the shell reamed and tapped to use Italian thread (assuming it isn't already Italian thread; if so a threadless cartridge is in your future). Or you can have a frame builder fill the damaged threads with brass and re-cut fresh threads into the brass.
there is no corrosion but the threads are cross threaded pretty badly the last bottom bracket i threw in was used and idk if the threads in my frame (steal) or the threads from the previous bottom bracket (alluminum) are bad.
Old 04-10-19, 01:34 PM
muncher37

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeopleAreIdiots
...what happened to them?

Bottom bracket threads can be re-tapped. You could also look into unthreaded threadless bottom brackets.
so about a year ago i brought it to a bike shop because the bb unthreaded its self into my drive side crank arm and haulted the bike i went to get it checked out and the bike at my lbs said it was cross threaded but i should be able to get by with using a new bottom bracket me being a broke 15 yo at the time decided that the best bet was to buy used and the one he sole me i could definitly tell was already cross threaded but it turned smooth as butter so i installed it making shure the threads turned smooth for about 2 or 3 rotations and then there was resistance so i tightened it the rest of the way with a socket the bb settup worked really well for about 6 months until the problem started back up and i got sick of it and decided to put the parts on a frame that wouldnt fail me again. the other bike got stolen 2 weeks later go figure. but now im riding a pretty slick peugeot convertion and i want to invest some money into the frame i love so dearly.
Old 04-10-19, 02:00 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Hard to diagnose over the internet, and pretty impossible to do so without pictures. Do you have a good mechanic nearby?
Old 04-10-19, 03:23 PM
muncher37

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Hard to diagnose over the internet, and pretty impossible to do so without pictures. Do you have a good mechanic nearby?
I do and when I get home I'll send pictures of the frame threads and previous bottom bracket so that you all can see the damage and yes I have many mechanics near by and ik of 2 shops who said that they had the means of possibly fixing it I just figured I'd ask before I invested in a service that could possibly do nothing but waist money