Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Straight Gauge or Double-Butted Spokes?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-10-19, 10:31 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts

I ride an '84 Peugeot that I bought new with the Helicomatic rear end. About 30 years ago I rebuilt both wheels with DT Swiss spokes. I rode it for about 10 years with zero problems. Then life got in the way and the bike sat un-ridden in the garage for the better part of 20 years. The wheels were on hooks hanging from the rafters, the frame was on a work stand. A couple of years ago I put it all back together, tuned every thing and started riding again (I'm 64). I put on about an extra 50# since I stopped riding. I'm now having a problem with rear wheel spoke breakage. About every 50-80 miles I'll break one. I carry spares so I can fix it on the spot. I've decided that I just need to "bite the bullet" and rebuild it again. My question to the wheel-building guru's out there is: Is there any advantage to using double-butted spokes v. straight gauge spokes? Are DB more forgiving/resilient than straight gauge? The rims are RIGIDA alloy, 36 hole.
Thanks for your input and PLEASE don't tell me to replace the wheel with a new one--that ain't gonna' happen.
Just for the record, I stand 6 foot 6 and weigh 245-just like "Big Bad John".
Jon

Last edited by Jon T; 04-10-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-10-19, 11:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I cannot comment on the strength of butted versus straight spokes. Maybe it depends on the failure point that you're observing. Are the breaks all at the same point on the spoke (j-bend near the head, or at the first thread near the rim end)?

This does sound like an opportunity to build a wheel with whatever hub you'd like, like something with English threading, or even better, a Hyperglide 126mm hub.

For the record, I did not just recommend that you buy a new wheel. Just a new hub.
Old 04-10-19, 11:06 AM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
I like to use DB spokes. There is some theory that DB spokes make a more resilient wheel, are easy to bring up to tension and somewhat more forgiving overall.

Your added weight alone is probably not the only factor in breakage . Other than impacts, the major cause of spoke breakage is insufficient spoke tension .This seems counter intuitive, but it is fatigue that is usually responsible for breakage, not total load.

If the wheel is properly tensioned more spokes share the load and individual spokes are not constantly loaded and unloaded.

Anyway, to get back to your question, which in truth I can't adequately answer from an engineering point of view, I like to use Double Butted spokes.
Old 04-10-19, 11:24 AM
Jon T

The breakages all occur at the "J" bend.
Jon
Old 04-10-19, 11:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
My touring bike used a lot of spokes , so I bought 2mm straight 88 of them + a couple spares of each length..

my C&V Road bike wheel build used 72 15 gauge .

I dip each spoke in anti seize so it does not twist rather than tighten ,
a butted spoke is less resistant to wind up because it is thinner in the middle..

New Front Dynamo hub Wheel from Germany for my Brompton came with 28 DB straight pull spokes..

Old 04-10-19, 11:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I bought into the theory that butted spokes are a really good idea, especially on the rear NDS. Supposedly the NDS spokes, running at lower tension than the DS spokes, elongate a bit more when the wheel is tensioned, and therefore have a bit more "give" in them so they don't de-tension and break from fatigue. That theory seems to be holding up on the rear I built, since I think I've only had one spoke break in the last half-dozen years.

Of course, the wheel with straight gauge spokes I bought on a new bike (that the shop wrench worked over before I rode off) only has one broken spoke in the last 10 years.

So my bottom line is to make sure the wheel is correctly tensioned and stress-relieved no matter what kind of spoke's on the wheel.
Old 04-10-19, 12:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
My opinion is to use DB spokes unless there's some reason not to. Don't forget to check the rim's condition by reducing down all the spokes to a similar and low tension. If the rim is deformed from "cycling incidents" it will show that as an untrue rim when the spokes are not pulling it straight. Andy
Old 04-10-19, 12:05 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I would expect straight spokes to be 14 gauge the entire length.
I built 36 hole tandem wheels with Swiss Alpine III triple butted spokes 14/15/13. 13 gauge required 2.5mm holes in the hub so they are a bit larger than the 14 gauge straight spokes that were on it originally.
My caveat. I am no expert.
Old 04-10-19, 12:18 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
I'd go with the extensive experiences of folks, because the theory is difficult. You draw wire, then swage it to get but narrow part, then upset the end and bend it and thread it. (Not necessarily in that order). How was the initial drawing done? What stresses were induced and changes made in grain structure due to swaging and other operations? How did the post-work heat treatment, if any, affect the spoke? There are a lot of factors.

Given that your breaks are at the j-bend (which is the thick part, right?), and 50 lbs ago the breaks weren't happening, I'm thinking that this may be a weight factor and is not due to aging or corrosion. My thought would be that you might try to get modern butted replacement spokes and continue to replace. Label the the new spokes (nail polish on the upset head? A piece of vinyl tape?). When you get to the point that either the break frequency reduces and none of the new spokes are breaking, you have an answer. Replace all the old spokes. Maybe their heat treat wasn't good or something. Alternately, if breakages continues, and new spokes are popping, that's another answer.

If you don't want fiddle around with this and want to take care of it once and for all, I'd contact DT Swiss and ask what they recommend for heavier riders. Be interesting to know if they suggest butted or straight.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 04-10-19 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 07:19 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
From my experience, the current setup is going through spokes due to mileage and fatigue. You're a big guy. Big guys kill wheels a lot quicker, not just because of your weight, but you produce more wattage as well. Just rebuild the wheels with good new spokes. if you're on a budget, the straight gauge 2mm DT spokes are fine. The Dt Alpine spokes are triple butted with 2.3mm at the J-bend and 2mm at the nipple, but they're more expensive. Probably best to go with new rims as well as over time they will crack around the spoke holes as they get miles on them.
Old 04-10-19, 07:40 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
If I ever build another wheel set it will have 13/15/14 triple butted spokes.

1. If the hub flange holes are big enough to take the 14 gauge threads, they'll take the 13 gauge unthreaded end.
2. Spokes most often break at the bend. 13/15/14 spokes put more material there.
3. Price is about the same as 14/15 double butted spokes.
Old 04-10-19, 07:45 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I agree with Andy -- assess the rim by itself before stringing it up again. I'm just an amateur, and have maybe 10 wheels under my belt, total. But I've already learned that wringing a round wheel out of a crooked rim can be a boatload of work and possibly not worth it. I'm living with maybe a mm of radial truth on an old rim of similar vintage to yours, because I didn't take good enough care of it long ago. I'd rather have good uniform tension than a perfectly round wheel, and it's only noticeable if I'm on really flat pavement.
Old 04-10-19, 09:04 PM
Jon T

Ok guys. Thanks for all the input. I'm just gonna' do it to it. Triple-butted it will be. DT's are gonna' be expen$ive. Does any one have first-hand experience with Wheel Smith or Sapim spokes? They're more in line with my budget. I'll get the 15/13/14 gauge spokes. I know the rims are ok--I'm not hard on them and it only sees/has seen paved trails and streets and I'm anal about trueness. Thanks again to all.
Jon
Old 04-10-19, 09:22 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
FWIW: I'm 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds... and I ride a recumbent so the rear wheel takes a beating. I've built my own wheels for 30 years... usually 36 double-butted spokes. I haven't broken a single spoke since I learned to build them with high, even tension. Not one.

The DT Alpine spokes are probably overkill, but go for it...

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-10-19, 09:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I an another who would start with a new rim. Not only would I know I was starting with a round rim, I would also stating with a rim interchangeable with other available rims so if something does happen to it, I could unscrew the nipples and transfer the spokes to a new rim and not have to toss that investment in spokes. (Plus second builds go quite fast. The spokes are already bedded nicely. Also no thought required, Just tape the new to the old with valve holes and labels matching.)

An out of round rim can probably be brought to acceptably round with the build, but you have built into your wheel uneven spoke tensions to do so you have started the process of making those spokes old so you probably won't want to re-use them even if you can find a matching rim.

Ben
Old 04-10-19, 11:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Are you stress-relieving the spokes when you replace one or re-true the wheel? That can help them live a longer life, and if nothing else, it's better to break a failing spoke on the stand than on the road.

My vote is pretty much always for double-butted spokes, don't have any experience with triple-butted, but they seem like a good idea.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-11-19, 06:33 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
Ok guys. Thanks for all the input. I'm just gonna' do it to it. Triple-butted it will be. DT's are gonna' be expen$ive. Does any one have first-hand experience with Wheel Smith or Sapim spokes?
Jon
I just built 2 wheels using DTSwiss Alpine III triple butted spokes 13/15/14 for our tandem. PReviously it had 14ga Wheelsmith spokes. They cost $1.55 apiece and I needed 72 of them. DT Swiss recommends them for heavy riders AND tandems. You can't get much more abusive on wheelsets than with a tandem.

The 14gs spokes will likely work but IMHO the extra is worth it due to the fact that the J bend, where most breakage occurs, is 13ga

Old 04-11-19, 07:06 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Ok guys. Thanks for all the input. I'm just gonna' do it to it. Triple-butted it will be. DT's are gonna' be expen$ive. Does any one have first-hand experience with Wheel Smith or Sapim spokes? They're more in line with my budget. I'll get the 15/13/14 gauge spokes. I know the rims are ok--I'm not hard on them and it only sees/has seen paved trails and streets and I'm anal about trueness. Thanks again to all.
Jon
Used DT and Sapim, Sapim are good too. Worthwhile looking in Germany for spokes from places like Bike-discount and Bike-components
Old 04-11-19, 08:32 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
If you are failing spokes in 50 - 75 miles, something is off here. I'm guessing since it is older bike you have 36 spokes per wheel. Also, you did not mention which side fails, DS or NDS, hopefully spoke length is adjusted to account for the difference here. I don't see why you would need to spend $$ for triple butted spokes, DT or Sapim double butted 14/15/14 should be good in a 36 per wheel set up. Weight, as in yours, might be a consideration also, probably plenty of info on weight, # of spokes, rim, etc out there in internet land to gauge what you need. I also prefer double eyelet rims or at least the washers in not double eyelet. Others may have more info. Just my thoughts for use as deemed appropriate.
Old 04-11-19, 08:54 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Looking at the Helicomatic hub on Spocalc-
The NDS tension is about 52% of DS tension. Not very good. You have to get the DS tension >120 kgf in order to get what many of us consider a minimum of 65 kgf on the NDS.
This is a classic case where using a thinner spoke on the NDS is warranted.
It puts the spoke in a greater degree of elongation and will result in less "elbow flex".
On the NDS only, I'd use a spoke with a 1.5 to 1.6mm "thin" section.
Old 04-11-19, 09:41 AM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I always build with double butted spokes. The stress of riding is on the narrow section rather than the threads or bend.
Old 04-11-19, 10:08 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Good choice with the 2.3 head spokes. Mine are the Wheelsmith ones. I also suggest using locking nipples, although they cost 3x as much. They ARE worth it to hold solid and they soften the stress, IMO. No goofball spoke prep involved. My GVW is up to 290 lbs on tour. Nothing breaks, my front SA XL-FDD wheel has 24,000 miles. They are heavy IGH drum brake hubs.
My 120 lb tour bike has a Rohloff14 with 32 2.0 spokes, way less stress and problems than derailleurs.
Old 04-11-19, 10:10 AM
Retro Grouch 

Jon
My go-to source for spokes the last few years has been Dan's Comp. The exact number and length spokes you want and they are both quick and cheap. You have to call on the phone and talk to their spoke guy personally to place an order.
Old 04-11-19, 12:57 PM
Jon T

Hey Grouch,
Got contact info?
Thanks
Jon
Old 04-11-19, 01:19 PM
Retro Grouch 

Hey Grouch,
Got contact info?
Thanks
Jon
Not really. You can Google Dan's Comp as easily as I can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.