Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tipping mechanics at holidays; how much?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tipping mechanics at holidays; how much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-21, 01:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
If I were given the option of a $10 tip or donuts/bagels, I would probably go for the second option.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-09-21, 01:54 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
To answer the OP, I'm surprised that tipping a mechanic is a thing. I worked as a bike mechanic as a teen and was only offered a tip once, by a wealthy person who felt I went above and beyond (I don't think I did). I don't recall seeing the other mechanics get tips either, although I never asked. A couple of the most frequent customers (think people who stop by the shop and chat for an hour even if they're not buying anything that day) would sometimes drop off some treats or drinks, but that's about it.

But if you feel it warrants a tip, go for it. Unless things have changed drastically since I last worked at a shop, any amount will be considered a bonus and you will be near the top of their list of favorite customers.
Old 12-09-21, 01:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I might give a tip (or more likely, a case of beer or homemade cookies or something like that) if the mechanic went above and beyond to accomodate me, like if he stayed late to finish my bike or got mine in and out on Christmas Eve, stuff like that. Otherwise, no. Mechanics aren't paid like waitresses; in other words, their salary isn't meant to be mostly made up in tips. I don't tip the auto mechanic either.
The OP isn't asking about tipping the mechanics every time she has some work done -- she's just asking about giving them a little something for the holidays.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-09-21, 02:01 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
True, but that often just means one impoverished person is giving more of their money to another impoverished person instead of finding the root of the cause. Not saying that makes an excuse to not tip, but merely pointing out that neither of your perspectives offer a remedy.
The solution is simple, especially when the wait for a service appointment can be 3 weeks. Charge more and pay staff more.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-09-21, 02:20 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
My trash collector (the kind that uses an arm to lift the barrel, using a video camera) left Tip Collection envelopes on our door handles. I tip well at restaurants and places where there's some amount of personal service, and where that service can be, or is, improved by that employee's performance. But definitely not for someone picking up the garbage from within the cab of a truck. C'mon.

A bike mech. or bike salesperson I could see tipping a tip jar if you've had a personal experience with them where they threw in a tune on something that wasn't on the ToDo list in the first place, or if they spent extra time (especially when the shop was busy) giving meaningful feedback or technical advice on some aspect of your bike, some riding location suggestions, some accessory you're thinking about, or where you recognized they didn't try to upsell you on something or some repair, just for the sake of upselling and making themselves look good to the owner/manager. Heck, I might not even return to a blatant upselling establishment, of any kind, let alone leave a tip.
Old 12-09-21, 02:30 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4738 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
There are always differing philosophies on this subject

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-09-21, 02:35 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Okay, so you're complaining over an imagined slight. That's not helpful to the conversation.
Read again. Not complaining. Not imagined.

Since you didn't seem to be limiting the conversation to just bike mechanics, I wasn't either. I tip plenty of other people, for the same reasons I've explained. But here's my question for you: why do you think there is some relationship between the value of a person's work and their further career aspirations? Shouldn't everyone be paid reasonably, no matter their future plans?
What is reasonable? Your reasonable? Mine? The jolly green giant? But this is going off topic from the OP and into something else for a different thread that I alluded to earlier. Tip whatever your heart makes you feel, for whatever reasons God places on your heart... you do you...

And by the way, you directly contradicted yourself with this last statement:
No I didn't, They were in school for a different career, but through life decisions wound up not pursuing their school goals and stayed in the bicycle business. Guess where they didn't stay.... low man in the shop.

and with that I bid you, adieu.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 12-09-21, 02:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
Read again. Not complaining. Not imagined.
So I misread you, and someone in retail DID berate you for not tipping?
Old 12-09-21, 02:56 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The solution is simple, especially when the wait for a service appointment can be 3 weeks. Charge more and pay staff more.
The 3 week wait would actually be the most compelling reason to tip the mechanic. However much gets you in a shorter line.
Old 12-09-21, 03:01 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The OP isn't asking about tipping the mechanics every time she has some work done -- she's just asking about giving them a little something for the holidays.
That's why the case of beer or homemade cookies seems the most appropriate. But maybe that's just me thinking of what I'd rather get instead.

"Here's ten bucks because, you know, it's the holidays..." vs. "I baked you a big box of cookies. Happy holidays!"
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 12-09-21, 03:08 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
That's why the case of beer or homemade cookies seems the most appropriate. But maybe that's just me thinking of what I'd rather get instead.

"Here's ten bucks because, you know, it's the holidays..." vs. "I baked you a big box of cookies. Happy holidays!"
Which is why I suggested asking the manager/owner. I have baked cookies before and given them away and the wife has made pies... and some people just dont want to eat the sweets like they did when I was a kid. But those two items are my rathers also...
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 12-09-21, 03:20 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Alternative perspective: many working people's wages have not really kept pace with inflation for decades now, and so jobs that once paid livable incomes are now paying poverty-level wages. When such people still do good work, and do it in a friendly and thoughtful manner, my gratuity (along with the price paid for the work) is merely part of the total price that I would be paying in a fairer system.
I don't know what you do but, unless (and maybe even if) you are self-employed or independently wealthy) YOUR wages have also not kept pace with inflation for decades now. Even if I felt like my LBS was the best one around in three cities, I couldn't and wouldn't try to tip the whole service staff. It is (literally) above my paygrade to try to singlehandedly redress the shop owners labor compensation practices. I would (might) pick the ONE mechanic who I have interacted with the most and slip them a $20. Or not. Look up the history of how tipping came to be. Like it or not, it's probably here to stay for some time, but you should know the history. It isn't heartwarming or pretty.
Old 12-09-21, 04:21 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer77
You are from Boston, as am I. Thrifty New Englanders advice does not count!
Since I moved to the South six years ago, I have had to learn to smile at ppl. Otherwise they think you dont like them. ; )
-Robyn
A friendly smile at the bike shop is a must. I gave my favorite old local LBS double what it cost to retrue a wheel for me because the owner went above and beyond (per usual) to get it fixed for me pretty quickly this past summer. I did gave that same shop a Dunkin Donuts gift card 8-9 years ago but I do almost all my own work and besides that wheel repair.

I balk whenever Mrs Ghazmh wants to tip at the holidays so maybe I’m becoming a grumpy Santa.🤪
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 12-09-21, 04:33 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I balk whenever Mrs Ghazmh wants to tip at the holidays so maybe I’m becoming a grumpy Santa.🤪
Just remind her that you gave someone some doughnuts 9 years ago. (You should be good for another 7 years, at least.)
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-09-21, 05:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
If the LBS made my dinner, served it to me, & allowed for me to loiter while I ate & as I waited for my bicycle to be completed, I'd feel a tip could be expected. Otherwise [ & if I'm aware ] a good experience with the wait staff earning a minimum cash wage is receiving gratuity.
Old 12-09-21, 05:12 PM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Yes!
Old 12-09-21, 05:15 PM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Originally Posted by canopus
Which is why I suggested asking the manager/owner. I have baked cookies before and given them away and the wife has made pies... and some people just dont want to eat the sweets like they did when I was a kid. But those two items are my rathers also...
OK, I like this idea!
Thanks y’all! Oh, geez, Im a “southern girl” now!
-Robyn
Old 12-09-21, 05:24 PM
Surfer77

Ghazmh
Haha! Hey, what bike shops are left in Boston these days? Besides Peter Mooneys shop in Belmont. I frequented the Bicycle Exchange in Harvard Sq, but my go-to was to Jim at Laughing Alley in Brighton. Thats how long ago! BiEx was sold and was not the same. I always thought Intl Bike on Comm Ave was a front for importing contraband, tho I may be wrong! Did you ever race the crits at Hanscom AFB on Tuesdays? Good times!
-Robyn

Last edited by Surfer77; 12-09-21 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-09-21, 05:40 PM
tomato coupe

How about "Here you go, lunch is on me today. Happy Holidays!"
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-09-21, 06:08 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer77
OK, I like this idea!
Thanks y’all! Oh, geez, Im a “southern girl” now!
-Robyn
Like you, I'm originally from Boston.
Like you, I now live in SC
If you're anything at all like me, and you're out on a group ride, and have to yell "CAR BACK!" they know you're not really a 'southern girl'. ("Cah? What's a cah?")
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 12-09-21, 06:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

How about "Here you go, lunch is on me today. Happy Holidays!"
A bag o' Cheetohs and and PB&J on wonder bread could save you some moola if it's important to you. Throw in a juice box even.
Old 12-09-21, 06:32 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,016 Posts
I always take my LBS cookie right after thanksgiving. They always appreciate them.

Old 12-09-21, 08:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I collect so many cookies just browsing these forums. I wouldn't want any more of them.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-09-21, 08:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I collect so many cookies just browsing these forums. I wouldn't want any more of them.
wait until the cache starts adding up!
Old 12-09-21, 08:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Since I do 90% of my own work, i don't give holiday tips. I do stop by the LBS fairly often, since it's on my way home from a ride and next to a good bagel shop, so I know the manager/mechanic. I did have a problem with the hydro brakes that I couldn't resolve and did bring it in. When done I gave him a $20 and said "thanks for all the free advice".

In general I try to tip generously to trades where it's expected.

And I tip for exceptional service, last summer I pulled out a number of large shrubs and some tree trimming. I was supposed to cut them into 3' pieces and bundle them, but it would be much easier, for everyone, to leave them as is. When the town garbage truck came, the next morning, I asked them if it OK and they put the 40' wall of debris into the truck. Since there were 2 guys and the driver, I gave the driver $60 and made sure the other guys saw me hand him money so he shares it. It was a lot cheaper than hiring someone with a chipper to come.

They never asked and were surprised, but they sure earned it.

Take a fresh cut fruit container with some colored toothpicks to the shop... they'll really appreciate it.
Likes For GlennR:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.