Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Question on servicing a suntour cyclone hub bearing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-21, 02:14 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts

All my other vintage bikes I've serviced have cup and cone bearings. This is a Suntour
Cyclone wheel hub with sealed bearings.I was able to pry the rubber seals off and
flush and regrease the bearings.My question is, when I tighten this inner nut in the
photo do I just want it just tight enough so I get no axle play the same as cup and cones
or tighten it more? Thanks
Old 12-16-21, 03:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
IIRC these hubs use a threaded "carrier" that has a spec OD for the bearing's ID with a threaded ID for the axle. If then yes do take care how you thread and tighten the two axle sides WRT the bearing spin. The bearings are likely the 6001 spec (12x28x8) and should be easy to find. These hubs are also easy to remove and replace the bearings as the only press fits are into the shell and both sides can be done at the same time w/o the axle in place. But these radial contact bearings want only the very slightest of preloads or they will prematurely wear out. I like to adjust from a known tiny amount of slop to what feels like zero slop. Of course this is with the wheel in the frame for the final test. One cool aspect of these hubs is that they take a conventional axle so rear end spacing and chain line mods are easy to do. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 12-16-21 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added text
Old 12-16-21, 03:36 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
IIRC these hubs use a threaded "carrier" that has a spec OD for the bearing's ID with a threaded ID for the axle. If then yes do take care how you thread and tighten the two axle sides WRT the bearing spin. The bearings are likely the 6001 spec (12x28x8) and should be easy to find. These hubs are also easy to remove and replace the bearings as the only press fits are into the shell and both sides can be done at the same time w/o the axle in place. But these radial contact bearings want only the very slightest of preloads or they will prematurely wear out. I like to adjust from a known tiny amount of slop to what feels like zero slop. Of course this is with the wheel in the frame for the final test. One cool aspect of these hubs is that they take a conventional axle so rear end spacing and chain line mods are easy to do. Andy
Great Thanks
Old 12-16-21, 03:39 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Replace the bearings. By prying out the seals there is a 99.9 percent chance you destroyed the rubber seal. You can get the number off of the rubber seal you pried off.

You only need to service these bearings if they are rough and or falling apart, and by service, I mean replace the cartridge bearing.

They are adjust to no side to side movement, no loading the bearings.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 12-16-21, 04:03 PM
robertj298 

Originally Posted by canopus
Replace the bearings. By prying out the seals there is a 99.9 percent chance you destroyed the rubber seal. You can get the number off of the rubber seal you pried off.

You only need to service these bearings if they are rough and or falling apart, and by service, I mean replace the cartridge bearing.

They are adjust to no side to side movement, no loading the bearings.
The rubber seals came out just fine with no damage at all. I just used the tip of a sharp pocket knife.
Flushed out the bearings inside and regreased.
Old 12-18-21, 12:02 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The "rule of thumb" for the adjustment is to hand tighten the threaded inside piece then back off 1/4 turn and then lock with the outer nut. There can be a slight amount of play at the rim when the wheel is installed.