Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I picked up this 1975 Carlton Criterium - what should I do with it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-21, 03:27 PM
AliH

Bikes: Mike Kowal Aravis Touring bike, 1952 Claud Butler Massed Start, 1959 Dawes Red feather, 1975 Carlton Criterium, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper, Bianchi Merlo MiniVelo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts

A couple of years ago my friend (a hefty mid 40's Englishman) showed me the bike his sister had given to him - a trendy singlespeed conversion that he was much too old for. It required some fixing up but his LBS told him it wasn't worth it. I asked him to store it for me as I was out of the country for a couple of years. This was the state I got ot in.

As you can see - it has some pretty nasty mid section rims, gp4000s, straight bars and I think they must have removed the big ring.

This is what it would have originally looked like.

Much prettier!

So I took it part as much as I could for now and will clean it up as best I can.

Decent condition with only one dent on the top tube.

Frame number in keeping with July 1975 Worksop Raleigh/Carlton build

Shop sticker from L H Brookes in Manchester (shop is still there I believe)

I love these wrap around seat stays

ITM short stem - not original

A pretty punked cotter pin crank!
There are some Weinmann 977 centre pulls and levers also.
What to do?
It's a good size for me - I'm considering keeping the straight bars and setting it up as a city bike. Maybe a 3 speed sturmley archer hub, mudguards and a front rack.
Sadly, the 1975 frame is one year off my birth year bike!
Likes For AliH:
Old 11-22-21, 03:54 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
not an investment, other than a fun bike to ride when done if it fits.
Old 11-22-21, 04:48 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Agreed, whatever you do to it, do it on the cheap. It would make a fine 3 speed city bike.
Old 11-22-21, 08:57 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Make is road worthy and safe to ride. Spend as little as possible and enjoy the Junk Bike experience. I always have a Junk Bike in my little stable. A bike that I can use for utilitarian riding and not worry about damaging, getting it wet or stolen. My best Junk Bike ever...

My present Junk Bike...

Do not make the mistake of thinking that I cheaped out on safety or dependability! Not a chance, these junkers work perfectly and darn near forever.
Old 11-23-21, 04:17 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
Yup! Some bikes that are aged just work if properly maintained and set up right. I have a few. That would make a great errand bike .
Old 12-21-21, 09:57 AM
AliH

Bikes: Mike Kowal Aravis Touring bike, 1952 Claud Butler Massed Start, 1959 Dawes Red feather, 1975 Carlton Criterium, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper, Bianchi Merlo MiniVelo

So here is what I did with it - a workhorse with prettyish lugs I guess!

The only salvageable were the frame, fork, bottom bracket, cranks, chainring, seatpost and brakes (and a Carlton branded seatpost bolt!). All other bits were from my local bike co-op and my parts bin. The co-op built some nice wheels (new Kinlin rims to a reconditioned SA dynamo hub and Maillard Sachs front hub). A couple of racks and some new dynamo lights make it a solid winter workhorse for the dark Scottish roads.

It might need a couple of tweeks like a longer lower stem and does anyone have any tips to tidy up the wires? or do I just accept this as cheap necessary bike jewlrey?!?
Old 12-21-21, 10:30 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by AliH
It might need a couple of tweeks like a longer lower stem and does anyone have any tips to tidy up the wires? or do I just accept this as cheap necessary bike jewlrey?!?
As for the wires, I am having the same issue on my 710. If you can't route them internally (and who wants to drill into their CV frame) I would recommend going to the home store or an electrical shop and locating either some brown wire or shrink wrap along with some brown zip ties. You could also die some white zip ties with some Rit die heated in a pan, essentialy boil dying the ties. We used to do that with RC car parts.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 12-21-21, 10:43 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
For the wiring... there could be a creative solution using copper tubing. Run it along the top tube; bend it carefully. I bet there are brown zip ties available somewhere online.
Old 12-21-21, 11:02 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
As bad as it sounds, I've had good luck with using packing tape (a heavy duty clear tape) to just stick the wires underneath a frame tube. This is what I did on my commuting recumbent. It's still not pretty, but at least it isn't also covered with zip-ties.
Also, it's not as if it started life as a beautiful bike.

For more stealthy wires, teflon insulation will be smaller. I believe that teflon insulated wires can be found in small quantities on ebay and such.
I'm an electrical engineer and dug up a cheaper and probably less toxic equivalent to teflon insulated wire. It is made by Alpha Wire (alphawire.com). The 22 ga. version (0.32 square mm) is only 1.24mm diameter. The Alpha part number is 6713 for the family of versions.
https://www.alphawire.com/Products/S...ber=*6713*&e=0

I bought a spool of the stuff from Digi-key: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...-BK005/2192840

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-21-21, 11:21 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...you can make a sheath for wire bundles like those out of vinyl tubing, which is available at home improvement and hardware stores in different diameters, sometimes in packaged lengths, but often in large rolls where you can buy it by the foot. It holds the curve that is molded into it, so you can spit it open, insert your wiring bundle, let it close back up, then zip tie the tubing to your frame.

But other than internal routing, which I would not attempt in your case, I got nothing else for ideas.
Old 12-21-21, 02:52 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Wait! I thought 1X was a brand new invention!
Old 12-21-21, 03:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts

So here is what I did with it - a workhorse with prettyish lugs I guess!

The only salvageable were the frame, fork, bottom bracket, cranks, chainring, seatpost and brakes (and a Carlton branded seatpost bolt!). All other bits were from my local bike co-op and my parts bin. The co-op built some nice wheels (new Kinlin rims to a reconditioned SA dynamo hub and Maillard Sachs front hub). A couple of racks and some new dynamo lights make it a solid winter workhorse for the dark Scottish roads.

Great save, well done.

Ya gotta wonder what shop can afford to turn away work when it might up their game, endear them to a customer, give them a niche that others don't capitalize on, etc.

As I often say, threadless, cartridge, disposable, throwaway, cookie cutter, profits at all costs crap is a good part of the reason we're in half the predicaments we're in.

And we ain't getting out anytime soon.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-21-21, 07:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
That bike has an uncanny resemblance to the Super Course I had. Same color, same crank, etc. Looks just like it.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 01-10-22, 10:22 AM
AliH

Well here is my solution - 8mm brown wiring cover split and cable-tied with brown cable ties. Not perfect, but as good as I can be bothered doing!

Thanks for the tips

Apologies for the blurry shots.

Less noticable than before I think

They say red makes bikes go faster don't they?

NDS chainstay
Likes For AliH: