Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carry mirrorless camera while riding road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 12:19 PM
nuclear_biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an Olympus OM-D E-M5 II. It's a sort of mid sized mirrorless camera, 4.9" (W) x 3.4" (H) x 1.8" (D) weighing about 1 pound.

I'm looking to take this, along with a small fixed focal length lense with me on my road bike. I've looked at several threads and here are some of the suggestions and reason why I don't like it:

* Jersey pocket: This would almost work if I didn't have them so full already, and if I wanted to trust my camera to an open jersey pocket.
* Handlebar bag: This would interfere with my headlight, climb shifter and my handlebar shape isn't quite right. Additionally off bike options may subject your camera to high frequency vibrations. A camera specific bag would probably be fine.
* Triangle frame bag: See handlebar bag, and also on a compact frame it would interfere with water bottles.
* Backpack: This one is a hard no; biking with one is uncomfortable, traps heat/sweat, chaffes etc etc.

Looking for maybe some kind of on body carry that isn't a full backpack. This may be a bridge too far, and I'll just have to use my cell phone camera.

Edit: Bike is a Motobacon Le Champ CF (don't judge me, I'm a "poor" grad student!).

Last edited by nuclear_biker; 06-02-17 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-02-17, 12:50 PM
SWorksRoubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use this on my bike trips with a Canon M5.
Old 06-02-17, 12:52 PM
nuclear_biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWorksRoubaix
I use this on my bike trips with a Canon M5.
Interesting. How do you attach it to yourself/bike?
Old 06-02-17, 01:05 PM
SWorksRoubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You should RTFM ...

Lots of pics here

Originally Posted by nuclear_biker
Interesting. How do you attach it to yourself/bike?

Last edited by SWorksRoubaix; 06-02-17 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-02-17, 01:16 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Big fanny pack.

https://www.rei.com/product/880835/r...il-2-waistpack

or bikepacking "feedbag".

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...AjAaAoYR8P8HAQ

Last edited by tyrion; 06-02-17 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-02-17, 01:51 PM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mettle Speed Strap

Mettle Speed Strap ? Mettle Cycling
Old 06-02-17, 01:59 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
any small bag w a shoulder strap can be worn like a courier bag over 1 shoulder where the bag rests on you back. you'll probably have to keep nudging it tho to keep it there. especially w such a big camera. some quality holster bags have 2 sets of d-rings so 1 strap can go around your neck & a 2nd strap can go around your back. great for skiing

I have this Tamrac bag. it's indestructible & have had it for over 1/4 century

but for cycling, I bring a much smaller camera that is flat & fits in a fanny pack worn over 1 shoulder. it stays on my back very well but is easy to swing to the front when I want to take a pic, even while riding, but I usually stop

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-05-17 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-02-17, 02:05 PM
Ajkollme

Bikes: SuperSix, Nature Boy, Mattioli R1, Burley Tandem

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a handlebar bag:

Outershell Makes the Best On-the-bike Camera Bag | The Radavist
Old 06-02-17, 02:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

but there's always this Google Trekker camera backpack!

https://www.treehugger.com/natural-s...-backpack.html
ecnewell 

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Rx 1.0, 1990 Cannondale ST400, 1981 Fredy Rüegg, 1984 Miyata One-Thousand

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like a nice little camera! Very reminiscent of the OM-G and OM-2 I carried for years, before the digital age.

Is it small enough that you could carry it in padded saddle bag? This one looks promising:
Product: Nashbar Large Expandable Seat Bag
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Top tube bag?
https://www.rei.com/product/112637/t...-box-frame-bag
Old 06-02-17, 02:18 PM
rumrunn6

his is what it looks like & the OP wants to carry a 2nd lens

Old 06-02-17, 08:12 PM
rumrunn6

for my Lumix bridge camera I like this small small blue Lowepro camera bag. I like that I can put the camera in on it's side making it easy to grab & use it w one move. also, the flap opens away from you so it doesn't get in the way. but I don't ride w this camera

I think it is this one
Lowepro Topload Zoom Mini Camera Bag (Navy)

but others go by the same name
https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod11824.htm

this is mine

Old 06-02-17, 08:23 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
i use a cotton carrier on my dirt bike but it might be a bit warm on summer cycling trips
Old 06-02-17, 09:46 PM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the E-M10 which is about the same size and I've been considering my options as the weather gets hotter. I think something like the Topeak Mondopack or Mondopack XL might do the trick if you have enough exposed seatpost. https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...4-mondopack-xl
Old 06-03-17, 01:23 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Just get a belt that you are comfortable wearing on the bike. Then get a Capture Clip.

https://www.peakdesign.com/capture

Since you're using the micro four thirds system, you can also easily carry another lens in a jersey pocket.

I have all of those camera bags that you wear in chest harnesses etc.. (used them when I was doing semi-pro alpine skiing photography) and would not recommend those for being on a bike.

I'm ditching all my canon SLR stuff this summer and going 100% mirrorless. It's the only way to go for human powered sports photography,

J.
Old 06-03-17, 01:53 PM
nuclear_biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of interesting options here. With the strap bags like the photo bag mini and Mettle speed strap, I just worry about the bag/camera sliding all around when you ride. Is that not the case?

Some of these on frame mounts might work; the top tube bag would probably fit without interfering with the frame/bottles, but I'm not sure about the handlebar bag. I suppose I could lose the light during the day...

As for the Peak Design Capture, I run their plate already for their grip (which I love, incidentally). Never really though about riding with a belt though, is that comfortable? What belt do you use?
Old 06-03-17, 02:44 PM
SWorksRoubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look at the pics in my earlier replies ... there's no sliding around with the bag I have.

A lot of interesting options here. With the strap bags like the photo bag mini and Mettle speed strap, I just worry about the bag/camera sliding all around when you ride. Is that not the case?

Some of these on frame mounts might work; the top tube bag would probably fit without interfering with the frame/bottles, but I'm not sure about the handlebar bag. I suppose I could lose the light during the day...

As for the Peak Design Capture, I run their plate already for their grip (which I love, incidentally). Never really though about riding with a belt though, is that comfortable? What belt do you use?
Old 06-03-17, 02:54 PM
nuclear_biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWorksRoubaix
Look at the pics in my earlier replies ... there's no sliding around with the bag I have.
I saw the pics, the other one even has a gif of a guy riding! But my mind reject this! The specific bag you linked has some other uses as well since it doesn't scream CAMERA BAG! STEAL ME! for running and walking while on vacations.
Old 06-03-17, 03:23 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts

For belts, I just use a webbing one. Position the camera where it's comfortable. When I'm not going to need the camera, it goes back in the bag (pannier or rack bag). You could also get one of those 14-42 pancake lenses and probably just keep it in your jersey pocket without much fanfare. I've been using the belt think with an OMD EM10-II which is considerably smaller and lighter. So you'd have to try it.

The Cotton Carrier could work too. I've used them for skiing with cameras while shooting alpine ski racing (think steep, icy injected snow hills) and these worked very well. Never tried them on the bike, but it's an excellent product. It's got a mesh back so it's not hot. With an OMD EM-5 on board, that camera is small enough that it might not be very noticeable at all with this.

J.
Old 06-04-17, 03:10 PM
SWorksRoubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Indeed! That's why I like it ... a lot

I saw the pics, the other one even has a gif of a guy riding! But my mind reject this! The specific bag you linked has some other uses as well since it doesn't scream CAMERA BAG! STEAL ME! for running and walking while on vacations.