Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just asking what makes Super Bikes so Super?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just asking what makes Super Bikes so Super?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-20, 04:59 AM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
One way to look at it is just about every quality bicycle, at one point was a super bike , technology and design changes all the time , if you want the gains in performance you have to pay for it , but that's if you want the highest grade , there are plenty if affordable super bikes .
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 02-09-20, 12:22 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Team Fuji monocoque frame. You can spend a whole lot more but it really doesn't get that much better than this.

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 02-10-20, 09:35 AM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
A Super Bike is like the Corvette in the Chevy showroom. You sit in it and daydream about how your life could be if only...then you go buy an SUV.

It's the Halo Effect- promote the latest & greatest. Not Record 11, it's Super Record 12! So light, it's not even legal! So fast, so-and-so won the Tour on one.

It's fun to window shop bikes like that. Every so often I'll go on a bike shop safari and try out high-end bikes (if they even have them). I have as yet to find a correlation between price and performance. I've tried $3,000 bikes I liked more than $8,000 ones, for comfort and handling. If you're a competitor and it matters that you're 20 seconds faster over 40 miles, or getting kicked in the ass on every bump doesn't matter, maybe a super bike is worth it.
Likes For vinfix:
Old 02-10-20, 11:03 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I see plenty of people on $10k+ bikes, doesn't seem to make them any faster, but they are def nice to look at. I don't care what anyone spends their money on, if I had the budget for it, I would too. People at work think my $2k bikes are outrageous, I just laugh and tell them they don't even know how bad it gets.
Old 02-10-20, 12:38 PM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Super bikes tend to be carbon fiber. I think that has a lot to do with the amount of space for advertising. But carbon fiber has been around for a while. Stainless steel such as XCr is a lot newer and just as technically advance and almost as light. The vas amount of riders could not tell a carbon super bike frame from a cheapie asian mass produced frame if both were painted black and had the same wheels and group. They would however be able to tell the difference between carbon and steel rather easily. But then, steel bikes don't have as much room for the name in huge print.
Old 02-10-20, 01:16 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I see plenty of people on $10k+ bikes, doesn't seem to make them any faster, but they are def nice to look at. I don't care what anyone spends their money on, if I had the budget for it, I would too. People at work think my $2k bikes are outrageous, I just laugh and tell them they don't even know how bad it gets.
Agree completely!

The very spendy bikes are super cool to look at and they are fun to see but they don't make a persona cyclist. I have 4 bikes, 2 are in the $1K rangeish, one is under $400 and one is over $2k. I get so much crap for the 2k bike that I have. I don't care what a person spends their money on so I would hope a person doesn't care what I spend my money on.
Old 02-10-20, 02:00 PM
Johnk3

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
The weight and aero advantages of a super bike would only be evident to a pro rider. But, the difference in the feel between an inexpensive groupset like Shimano 105 and Dura Ace or Campy's Athena and Super Record are pretty easy to appreciate. I have a gravel bike with Athena, a carbon road bike with Chorus and a new Cinelli Supercorsa with Super Record. After riding with Campy's SR, it spoils you for everything else. My new Barco XCr that will be finished in Italy in a week or so, will have the newest Campy Super Record 12 x 2 groupset. Barco may even post photos of it once it has been painted.
Old 02-10-20, 03:30 PM
Lscico

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My 0.02$

GCN did a video on this. They took an old aluminum Trek USPS aluminum and tested against a ‘super bike’, aka a 10k$ carbon.

difference was huge.

They then stripped the old bike and put modern components including a new 105 Groupo. Cost them 1000$, including buying the bike off eBay.

Difference was 20 seconds on a 10 minute ride. Or there abouts.

I guess there’s the answer.
Likes For Lscico:
Old 02-10-20, 03:38 PM
Johnk3

Originally Posted by Lscico
GCN did a video on this. They took an old aluminum Trek USPS aluminum and tested against a ‘super bike’, aka a 10k$ carbon.

difference was huge.

They then stripped the old bike and put modern components including a new 105 Groupo. Cost them 1000$, including buying the bike off eBay.

Well the ride quality between an old aluminum frame and a carbon super frame would be significant. Also, the 105 group and, I suppose equivalent wheels, are not the equivalent of Dura Ace and carbon wheels. I would like to see how they compared with the same high end components and wheels.
Old 02-10-20, 04:49 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3
The weight and aero advantages of a super bike would only be evident to a pro rider.
Robert got promoted to a pro? (oblique way to say there's no correlation between being able to ride a bike fast and discerning differences in bike behaviors.) (oblique way of saying at least weight differences are evident to anyone with a scale, ability to ride not a prerequisite.)
Likes For asgelle:
Old 02-17-20, 09:46 AM
Johnk3

Originally Posted by asgelle
Robert got promoted to a pro? (oblique way to say there's no correlation between being able to ride a bike fast and discerning differences in bike behaviors.) (oblique way of saying at least weight differences are evident to anyone with a scale, ability to ride not a prerequisite.)
I meant the difference between a modern super bike frame and a modern mid-range carbon frame with all of the other components, groupset and wheels being the same.
Old 02-17-20, 11:46 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Once you get into bikes in the $1k range, they are all good enough. It is all about the motor and perceived advantages in the mind commanding the motor.
Old 02-17-20, 01:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
According to many of my non-cycling acquaintances it always seems to come down to whether or not you can lift it with only 2 fingers.
I can lift my decidedly non-super Cervelo-clone Chinabomb with one finger .... but I have big fingers.
Old 02-17-20, 01:34 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
My comparison would be a pretty nice carbon Synapse I had with 105 components versus my current S-Works with DA Di2 and all the candy Specialized could throw at it 2 years ago. Weight difference is not earth shaking - the S Works is 16.5 lbs ready to ride and set up for a Clydesdale class rider (heavy Look pedals and replaced the carbon aero handlebars with a more comfy aluminum Specialized Hover bar) - and the Cannondale was around 18.5 , but with a boat anchor FSA crankset and alloy wheels

The retail price on the S Works is pretty high while the retail on the 105 Synapse is roughly 20% of the cost. The ride is night and day different between the 2 with the S Works being more efficient and stiffer , yet more comfortable at the same time. The bike doesn't have a "dead" feeling on the road and I feel like I can climb anything on it within reason
The Cannondale in comparison - although the Synapse is supposed to be a more comfortable bike , is not. It feels slower and literally feels like it takes more effort to stay on top of the gear and the ride is like some people say about other carbon bikes when they say its like riding a block of wood -- the bike just doesn't give much feedback
ITs not the weight difference either -- I would pick the 21 lb vintage Colnago over the Cannondale if I ever had to go on a fast ride

I think if the Cannondale were built with equivalent wheels and an equivalent Dura Ace build kit and lighter post, bars etc -- the weight difference between it and the Tarmac would be not much but I still cant get past the fact that the Cannondale rides like a block of wood while every pedal stroke seems to be energized on the Specialized

But - big but -- I wonder what difference the wheels alone make too
I did a three-way wheel swap to try to liven up my Fuji Sportif .... and every time I took a couple hundred grams off it felt tons better. originally it felt like you describe the Cannondale as feeling---dead, sluggish, seemingly absorbing the first fiver percent of energy put into it (and it has an Al frame!) With CF wheels and lighter tires (maybe 800 grams difference) the bike is really lively.

Not a "superbike," but it is now a super bike.
Old 02-17-20, 01:41 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
With mountain bikes you get more "X". Instead of names like Acera, Alivio (headache medicine?) and Deore (sounds like "bore"), you get SLX, XT and XTR (the latter two being better because the X comes first). With SRAM you can even get multiple Xs, like "XX1"

With road bikes you go from dull names like Sora and Claris (someone's aunt from the midwest) to euro-sounding names like Ultegra and Dura Ace (plus you know anything with "Ace" is good).

And sometimes you literally get "super". I used to have a Santa Cruz Superlight with a Marzocchi Superfly fork, which I upgrades to an X-Vert Super (which had both "X" and "super").

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-17-20 at 05:16 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-17-20, 02:16 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Lscico

difference was huge.

It was a misleading video. They didn't tune up or adjust the "old" bike. It had a myriad of problems that $50 worth of cables and housing plus an hour or so in my garage would have cured. They really didn't gain anything except one or two extra gears. I think the old one was a 9 speed.

It had a decent enough setup, that within the budget of that episode, no realistic performance gains were made. Switching from 53-39 to 50-34 is arguably the only thing they changed that mattered, and that doesn't require a complete rebuild.
​​​​
They made the comparison that old = clunker. The truth is unmaintained = clunker
Old 02-17-20, 02:22 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Once you get into bikes in the $1k range, they are all good enough.
Good enough for what? For whom? Don't presume your use case or standards apply to everyone.
Old 02-17-20, 02:28 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I can lift my decidedly non-super Cervelo-clone Chinabomb with one finger .... but I have big fingers.
My non-cycling acquaintances would be duly impressed!
Old 02-17-20, 03:11 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Good enough for what? For whom? Don't presume your use case or standards apply to everyone.
Good enough to do the prescribed task reliably. Commuters will get you to work, tourers will get you across the country, sporty bikes will let you mix it up with faster riders. Even mountain bike races are very rarely decided by the latest and greatest. You see bikes of all vintages mixing it up. All the new gearing standards have not made riders any faster, just make it more difficult to know what parts are compatible when you wear them out and need replacements.
Old 02-17-20, 03:21 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
All the new gearing standards have not made riders any faster, just make it more difficult to know what parts are compatible when you wear them out and need replacements.
My 13-24 Uniglide cassette disagrees with you on both claims.
Old 02-17-20, 04:05 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
88 Ironman. Looks fast just sitting there.