Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Rebuilt kit for '98 Rock Shox SID??

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-01-20, 12:22 PM
jdurango

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone know where this can be had?

Other option is I found a guy locally selling a rebuilt Marzocchi Z2 Bomber from around the same period (98-ish) for $80. Better to go that route? It's the same as this one: Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Atom 80 Fork: Disc & V - Silver - 1 1/8" x 170mm Threadless (EXC) - Bike Recyclery

Thanks!
Old 05-03-20, 12:15 PM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Try these guys,

https://suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/index.php
Old 05-03-20, 10:38 PM
jdurango

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
Thanks but no luck there at all. Not even newer SID stuff. Now I'm wondering if this fork is effectively dead for lack of maint parts, or can still be used?
Old 05-04-20, 08:03 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
21 years is pretty far past the expected service life of a suspension fork, so this could be tough to find something off the shelf.

I see Universal Cycles has a SID rebuild kit for ‘99-‘08. You may just need to buy it and figure out what still fits. Or figure out ahead of time what changed from ‘98 to ‘99.

Most of what these kits contain are O-rings, which you can probably get elsewhere if you can do some careful measuring of the old ones with digital calipers. As far as the wiper/seals go, you may be able to find those separately through someplace like Enduro Seals or SKS. Might need to contact them and talk to someone.

I would recommend checking the slider bushings for any wear/play. If they are worn, I would not bother putting money or much time into the fork.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-04-20, 11:42 AM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
Get the Z2 (assuming it's coil not air). Just make sure not to remove the canti studs. They hold the brace to the lowers for that year.

I would remove the lowers on the sid & clean it up. I had a 2001 that felt like garbage. I dropped the lowers, cleaned up the old sticky grease & it worked like new. Amazing what a cleaning and fresh grease & oil will do.

Last edited by eshew; 05-05-20 at 02:15 PM.
Likes For eshew:
Old 05-04-20, 11:59 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
To add on to what eshew said....

IMO the Z2 Atom 80 is a better fork than the SID you have, and if the bushings are still good, I would spend $80 on that before throwing much effort and/or money into the SID.

The one thing to be aware of is that the Atom 80 is a coil fork. For the most part that is a good thing. This was better than the air options from that time. In fact, the Z1 and Z2 coils were arguably the best forks of the late 90s (again, IMO). The one possible downside in this case would be if the spring in this one you are looking at is not the right stiffness. You may have problems finding a replacement coil spring. So make sure the spring rate works for you.
Old 05-05-20, 04:30 AM
billas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am having the same issue with my 2001 Rock Shox SID air rear shock on my XTC NRS 1. Can't seem to find a repair kit or even someone who can do it for me.
Old 05-05-20, 06:04 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
+1 on the Atombomb Z1s
Its one of the few 26" forks I'm having trouble parting with