Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why am I soooo bad?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why am I soooo bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 05:14 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrecks24
So I started road biking about three months ago and I know that I suck, but I have been riding these local shop rides. I cannot keep up with the main group for the life of me, the ride is 25ish miles, mixture of "elite" type riders, women and older dudes. I even struggle to maintain speed with ALL of them. I am 43 and retired from the Army so its a little bit of ego. My bike is a Carbon bike with Ultegra gear set, so I know its me and not the bike. Now, I don't have the option of riding everyday to build up as I have a job and I also have two kids that are involved in sports and other activities that take up much of my free time. I just want to be able to hang with at least the majority of the riders. Any advice for a new guy?
I ride my bike to ride my bike! If I ride in a group, I always seem to be at the back...I just don't worry about it (well, maybe a tiny little bit, but not really).
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 07-13-20, 09:11 PM
Dave P

Bikes: Trek Madone, Niner Air 9, Salsa Vaya, Lotus Unique

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
So I started road biking about three months ago and I know that I suck, but I have been riding these local shop rides. I cannot keep up with the main group for the life of me, the ride is 25ish miles, mixture of "elite" type riders, women and older dudes. I even struggle to maintain speed with ALL of them. I am 43 and retired from the Army so its a little bit of ego. My bike is a Carbon bike with Ultegra gear set, so I know its me and not the bike. Now, I don't have the option of riding everyday to build up as I have a job and I also have two kids that are involved in sports and other activities that take up much of my free time. I just want to be able to hang with at least the majority of the riders. Any advice for a new guy?
Hi Wrecks24:

I'd find a different group to ride with, that fits your fitness level and style. There's nothing more of a bummer than getting dropped and left for dead when trying to get in bike shape. Some folks think getting one's ass kicked on such group rides "is the way to go" for getting stronger, but I think it is stupid. Of course, I am an older guy, so the ass kicking method does not work well for me anymore.

Unless you want to become a hammerhead by 2022, just relax and enjoy the slow process of getting stronger and learning techniques. It's super cool riding with the slower guys/gals while gaining your desired base, as well.

Go Army!
Likes For Dave P:
Old 07-13-20, 10:02 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
You said it: ego. It's your problem. I'm pretty direct, so if this comes off as unsympathetic, it's not at all meant to be.

There are two types of riders: those who are competitive, and those who are not. Some people feel deep needs to compare themselves to others; for others it's not as compelling. (But we all do it) Did you take up cycling to go faster than others, and thus feel good? If so, you have an awful lot of riding ahead of you to get there.

You're the very worst in the group. You don't like this. The real problem is the gap between your expectation and your reality.

Three months is not much time. You haven't even hit your floor for ability yet, let alone your ceiling. If you want to compete with others, you need to align your expectations to reality, and that begins with data. Check your local Strava boards. See what those folks are doing? You need to do that, and with the understand that they have years on you.

Don't even think about your bike. Carbon frame and Ultegra? Good enough for your first 5,000+ miles. (Do make sure it's fitted right, though).

There are alternatives. You could realign your expectations. You could have serious conversations with yourself about the meaning of things, and why it's important to be faster/est to yourself. You could pour yourself into long, lonely training rides and wonder if it's really worth the missed time with your kids just to feel superior to some guy you barely know on a group ride.

I'm not anti-competitive, but I am pro-health, and that includes emotions. You have the courage to admit your ego's involved, and that means you will figure out what your needs are, and how biking fits in.

For now, I'd suggest looking at it all as one big giggle: "Hey, I'm not dead yet! And I get the opportunity to enjoy myself on a bike and see if I can improve." Do some HIIT rides. Do some rides where you don't permit yourself to see your stats. Just keep riding.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 07-14-20, 02:40 PM
Kevinw3
KeWa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
1-2-3-4-5

Year 1 - dropped frequently.
Year 2 - not as much
Year 3 - about half
Year 4 - seldom
Year 5 - almost never

Keep your drive train clean and lubed. Upgrade your Wheels. Take Beta Alinine, green tea extract, Arginine supplements. Get a full professional bike fit now. Hydrate and fuel properly before your rides. Learn to spin rather than grinding.
Likes For Kevinw3:
Old 07-15-20, 01:35 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
you cant suck at cycling unless you fall off every few feet and wear underwears under your cycling shorts
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 07-15-20, 01:36 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinw3
year 1 - dropped frequently.
Year 2 - not as much
year 3 - about half
year 4 - seldom
year 5 - almost never

keep your drive train clean and lubed. Upgrade your wheels. Take beta alinine, green tea extract, arginine supplements. Get a full professional bike fit now. Hydrate and fuel properly before your rides. Learn to spin rather than grinding.
beet juice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 07-15-20, 04:32 AM
Nerdftyu
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We need to be patient with this problem.
Likes For Nerdftyu:
Old 07-15-20, 05:30 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Honestly, I would find a slower group ride to start. You need "base" miles. That is a concept that is out of favor but to me, I have always needed it. Just ride as much as you can. Try ridding every day - even if it is short or slow. And if you can, do a long slow ride on some weekends.

Also, get a heart rate monitor. What effort are you putting out early on to stay at the front? If it is 90% of your max, that could explain why you are being dropped later in the ride.

Lastly, give it time.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 07-15-20, 05:34 AM
Kevinw3
KeWa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Cadence in carbon shoes

Get stiff carbon shoes and keep your cadence between 90-100. If you’re big in the shoulders then get a more aerodynamic position. The professional bike fit will help you get that. Use race tires and tubes. Read “ Get Fast “ by Selene Yeager.
Likes For Kevinw3:
Old 07-16-20, 08:04 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by oldlady62
I used to have the opposite problem. I was always the "fatty" when I was younger. Not very overweight, just maybe 20-25 pounds, but not like all the other fit and thin women that were of my acquaintance. My advantage was that I cycled a lot ever since I was 16 tears old. They couldn't understand why they couldn't keep up with me (the fatty) on social rides. They even tried my bike to see if it made a difference. It didn't. I think you have lots of info from smart people, but I just had to say something from being on the other side.
Very true. I learned early that you can't predict a cyclist's performance based on his or her appearance, weight or bike.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 07-17-20, 05:44 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Ride smart. As someone previously said, draft, draft. But don't be afraid to take your turn at the front. A lot of times riding in the rotation is easier than hanging off the back. Riding smart? When people jump off the front and accelerate, don't jump on, let others do it. Pay attention to who the smooth and strong cyclists are. Get behind those wheels instead of following other more erratic, inexperienced riders. Someone said pay attention when the person downshifts in front of you. Actually you should be looking out for that two or three other riders ahead of him/her.

+1 on previous comments about hydrating, doing intervals. You're new into this, you'll see almost exponential growth in your abilities if you keep at it. Someone said find a slower group - nonsense, in any athletic endeavor if you want to improve then always participate with others beyond your abilities.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 07-18-20, 03:47 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
All great advice, but that sounds like work. You need to find a group of similar ability, or maybe just slightly faster. I ride with a group of 60+ year old men and women. We stomp it pretty good up the hills, but make a point to regroup regularly. No one likes to show up to a group ride and get dropped in the first few miles.

As Eddy said, "ride lots."
Likes For bblair:
Old 07-20-20, 06:32 AM
Wrecks24

Bikes: Focus Cayo

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks all.

Finding a different group isn't gonna happen as there is only two groups in the area and the other one is really fast. I'm just gonna keep grinding as best as I can. This weekend my friend and I rode 45 miles, I was damn near dead walking back into my house...lol. I could barely stand in the shower. But it did boost my confidence a little, even though the pace was about 14.5 mph.Tomorrow is the group ride and I feel a little better about it. I want to love this sport, and I do enjoy it.
Likes For Wrecks24:
Old 07-20-20, 02:11 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
What a motivating and helpful thread! Welcome Wrecks! I joined here almost 2yrs ago now, started doing 5-7miles at a time and avg 10-13mph for many months. This year I'm up to 2-4x rides per week between 40-60miles and avg 17-18.5mph, even on the 60mile rides. If i do a quick 25miles I can pull off 19-5-20.5 mph. Ive only done two or three group rides though, so my times are all solo, which is just my style. We each have our own! You will get there, i promise.

JAG

Last edited by sirjag; 07-20-20 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-20-20, 06:15 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Thanks all.

Finding a different group isn't gonna happen as there is only two groups in the area and the other one is really fast. I'm just gonna keep grinding as best as I can. This weekend my friend and I rode 45 miles, I was damn near dead walking back into my house...lol. I could barely stand in the shower. But it did boost my confidence a little, even though the pace was about 14.5 mph.Tomorrow is the group ride and I feel a little better about it. I want to love this sport, and I do enjoy it.
Based on the pace you gave, you were out for about 3 hours - that's great, and will help you. It might not help you tomorrow, but it will help you.

I still say try to get in some short and easy rides through the week somehow - I do a lot of mine between 0500 and 0700. Usually on the trainer in the house, but I'll sneak out some days and ride on the road then. Not enough time to get anywhere interesting is the problem, and even for easy rides the trainer is more efficient - you're always pedaling, even if easy. Only way to get something similar on the road is with a fixed gear.

I'm a similar competitive personality, I think. I started racing BMX with my kids last summer, and I got started Zwift racing in earnest through March-May, and I'm kind of hooked on both.
Old 07-21-20, 06:10 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
There is the old saying "it's always darkest before the dawn". I think this applies to bicycling fitness. Some people are simply competitive in nature. Really nothing wrong with that, it gives us a reason to push the limits.