Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubeless users: do you still carry a flat kit?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-07-21, 11:13 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

That is, a standard flat kit (tube, CO2, levers, patches, etc.)? I know you can use a tube in a tubeless tire in an emergency, but is that something I'm going to want to do, with all the sealant still in there? Wouldn't it make more sense to carry extra CO2?
Old 01-07-21, 11:33 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Plug kit, tube, pump, patch kit.

Sealant is the first line of defense
Plug kit is next
Tube next
Patch for when the sharp bit sticking through the tire punctures the tube.

On a long ass ride, I'll carry a second and maybe third tube, and maybe even a folding tire.

How much crap I carry is somewhat dictated by how much I want to avoid walking or calling for help.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-07-21, 11:58 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Plug kits and a pump.
Likes For tankist:
Old 01-08-21, 06:35 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Nothing, not even a mini pump. Approaching 20,000 road miles without an issue. If I was touring I’d carry a plug kit, a patch kit (to repair the inside of the tire for a bad problem), a tube and a pump. But within 30-40 miles from home I don’t bother.
Old 01-08-21, 07:14 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
If I had a reliable ride home, I might go without a kit, like MattTheHat in the post above. But my wife works hard, all day long, so that I have all of this free time to ride my bike...So I carry a plug kit, two tubes, a pump, couple tire levers, and a patch kit.

The only time I've had to stick a tube into a tubeless tire was when I ran psi that was waaay too low on a very rough trail, and the tire burped out so much air that a tube was the only solution. Lesson learned.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-08-21, 07:57 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Plug kit, tube, pump, patch kit.

Sealant is the first line of defense
Plug kit is next
Tube next
Patch for when the sharp bit sticking through the tire punctures the tube.
This is exactly what I do. I use Stans fluid, and their Dart tool works marvelously when you need a plug. But most importantly, make sure you keep enough sealant in your tires. Depending on the tire and temperatures, the sealant can leak, seep, evaporate or dry up in a couple of months.

Also keep in mind CO2 doesn't play well with some sealants and you may need to change the sealant after using CO2.
Old 01-08-21, 07:59 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I asked a similar question, a couple weeks ago, when I decided to go tubeless for my new mountain bike. I received a lot of info about why you should still carry a repair kit and maybe even a tube. Since then, I have added a complete repair kit to my carry-on gear and even found a solution for carrying a big ass replacement tube.

https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...ess-tires.html

Old 01-08-21, 08:07 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Plug kit, pump and multi-tool. That's it....99% of the time a plug is going to work for punctures that cannot seal. Anything beyond that I'm calling my wife and she can pick me up (hasn't happened yet)...but I'm not going to get that involved on the side of the road trying to repair a tube or put one in for that matter.
Old 01-08-21, 08:13 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Yes, on four of five bikes I currently have setup tubeless. The one exception is my fatbike where a tube is so bulky that I generally go without. Of course, my fatbike is the one bike I've had a flat on in four years of riding tubeless, lol.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 01-08-21, 08:30 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I carry a spare tube along with 2 CO2 shots, levers, patch kit, and a tubeless plug kit. I don't carry a mini-pump, as I'm typically riding in well populated areas and fine calling for a ride or taking transit home if I'm really stuck. If I'm doing a gravel ride in a rural area where I might not have cell coverage, I'll toss my mini pump in one of my back pockets.

Road tubeless is weird. I have more confidence that I won't flat from riding over glass or thorns or whatever, but I'm also nervous because I know if I do flat, I'm probably screwed. My tires (32mm GP5000 TL) fit so tight on my rims that I'm not sure I'd even be able to get a tube in there on the side of the road if I needed to. I've never used the plug kit so hopefully I could figure it out and be successful in plugging a hole. With 2 CO2 shots, I only get one try with that before I'd have to try to get a tube in.

I'm fine calling for a ride if I'm stuck, so with that in mind I'm not even sure why I carry the tube. I guess just out of habit.
Old 01-08-21, 09:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Just curious, for those with plug kits, do you also bring sealant? If a TL tire flats completely, does this somewhat mean that all of the sealant sprayed out of the hole that caused the flat, and don't plug kits require sealant to work?

For those who bring tubes as a backup, do plugs work with tubes -- IOW, I'd think a tire boot might also be necessary if the hole was too big for sealant to take care of?
Old 01-08-21, 09:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Yes.
Old 01-08-21, 09:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just curious, for those with plug kits, do you also bring sealant? If a TL tire flats completely, does this somewhat mean that all of the sealant sprayed out of the hole that caused the flat, and don't plug kits require sealant to work?

For those who bring tubes as a backup, do plugs work with tubes -- IOW, I'd think a tire boot might also be necessary if the hole was too big for sealant to take care of?
If a cut doesn't seal within the first 30 seconds, it's probably not going to seal on its own, but that doesn't mean that all of the sealant is gone. Rotate the tire so that the cut is facing up, pop in the plug and give the wheel a spin.

I don't understand the confusion about plugs, tubes and boots. If a cut is too big for the sealant, you use a plug. If a cut is too big for a plug, you use a tube. If a cut is big enough that the tube threatens to herniate, you use a boot. A plug isn't going to hinder a tube, but you wouldn't use a plug with a tube (unless there was already a plug in place from a previous puncture).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-08-21, 09:36 AM
jadocs

Not necessarily unless it is some kind of catastrophic puncture as in a cut. I've never had to add sealant to a plug...but I also ensure I'm not running a tire with dried up or little to no sealant. That's not to say that I haven't been lucky or carrying extra sealant is not a good idea.

I have no practical experience with plugging a tube while it's in the tire, but my knee jerk reaction would be...it won't be very reliable due to the elastic nature of the tube...on the other hand, if it is inflated to the point it has enough pressure against the tire, it might get you home....at which point I would patch the tire from the inside and set it back up tubeless when I got back.
Old 01-08-21, 09:39 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Yes, on four of five bikes I currently have setup tubeless. The one exception is my fatbike where a tube is so bulky that I generally go without. Of course, my fatbike is the one bike I've had a flat on in four years of riding tubeless, lol.
I was just wondering about this last night. Where the heck would I carry that giant ass tube.

I am gonna set it up tubeless in the next couple weeks and carry a plug kit and pump. No way I am going to waste space with that tube(its the size of like 3 sandwiches, I would rather have a flat and a sandwich).
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 01-08-21, 09:41 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If a cut doesn't seal within the first 30 seconds, it's probably not going to seal on its own, but that doesn't mean that all of the sealant is gone. Rotate the tire so that the cut is facing up, pop in the plug and give the wheel a spin.

I don't understand the confusion about plugs, tubes and boots. If a cut is too big for the sealant, you use a plug. If a cut is too big for a plug, you use a tube. If a cut is big enough that the tube threatens to herniate, you use a boot. A plug isn't going to hinder a tube, but you wouldn't use a plug with a tube (unless there was already a plug in place from a previous puncture).
Ok. I was just picturing a flat from a larger hole that sealant doesn't work on, meaning the tire goes completely flat pretty quickly and by the time one comes to a stop to repair, that all of the sealant would have squirted out that hole.

For a cut too big for a plug, as you say a tube is the answer, so hence why I questioned why nobody above included above a tire boot in their kit, but they do have tubes?

Interesting to also see one mention of bringing a pump and a plug, but no CO2. Presumably there are now combos for TL Tire/Rim where a TL tire can be seated with the relatively low volume minipump capabilities.
Old 01-08-21, 09:43 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by jadocs

I have no practical experience with plugging a tube while it's in the tire, but my knee jerk reaction would be...it won't be very reliable due to the elastic nature of the tube...on the other hand, if it is inflated to the point it has enough pressure against the tire, it might get you home....at which point I would patch the tire from the inside and set it back up tubeless when I got back.
Bad wording on my part. I didn't mean using a plug on a tube, I meant using a plug on the tire, but also installing a tube.
Old 01-08-21, 09:52 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
sometimes a tire is just beyond hope without a tube in it. most of my rides start and end at my driveway and walking home 20+ miles would suck. over the past 10 years or riding tubeless tires, I've had to put a tube in my tire 2 or 3 times over thousands of miles. I've also used my spare tube to bail out some riding partners. it's just common sense belt-and-suspenders preparedness.
Old 01-08-21, 09:52 AM
WhyFi

Ok. I was just picturing a flat from a larger hole that sealant doesn't work on, meaning the tire goes completely flat pretty quickly and by the time one comes to a stop to repair, that all of the sealant would have squirted out that hole.

For a cut too big for a plug, as you say a tube is the answer, so hence why I questioned why nobody above included above a tire boot in their kit, but they do have tubes?

Interesting to also see one mention of bringing a pump and a plug, but no CO2. Presumably there are now combos for TL Tire/Rim where a TL tire can be seated with the relatively low volume minipump capabilities.
Sealant slows down the leak quite a bit, even if it doesn't seal it. For sealant to all be gone by the time you come to a stop, either the cut was way too large for you to have a prayer or you didn't have enough sealant in the first place.

I do carry a tube but don't have a dedicated boot; I always have a bill or a wrapper on hand.

CO2 might be handy for re-seating, but is generally not needed on the road. Many tires will stay seated even when completely flat and re-seating isn't a concern if you're going to pop in a tube.
Old 01-08-21, 09:56 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

for the emergency, last resort tube: carry a slightly undersized tube. for my 29x2.3 tires, I carry a tube made for 275.x2.3 tires. I have not had to use it yet, but many riders do the same and report that it worked well. for my 650B 47mm gravel tires, I carry a 700x35-ish tube. I think it should work in a pinch, but again, I have not needed it yet.
Old 01-08-21, 10:02 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
for the emergency, last resort tube: carry a slightly undersized tube. for my 29x2.3 tires, I carry a tube made for 275.x2.3 tires. I have not had to use it yet, but many riders do the same and report that it worked well. for my 650B 47mm gravel tires, I carry a 700x35-ish tube. I think it should work in a pinch, but again, I have not needed it yet.
Would that work on a fat bike? I would be cool with carrying a 29x2" tube or even a 26"x2.5. but this 26x4" thing forget it.
Old 01-08-21, 10:09 AM
jadocs

If you are talking about me, my pump is a Co2 pump. Strictly for size constraints.
Old 01-08-21, 10:24 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by sloppy12
Would that work on a fat bike? I would be cool with carrying a 29x2" tube or even a 26"x2.5. but this 26x4" thing forget it.
I'll let someone with experience chime in on that as I have absolutely zero experience with fat bikes. I rode one once for about 30 seconds and did a wheelie on grass.
Old 01-08-21, 10:43 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by sloppy12
Try inflating a tube outside of the the tire/rim and see how much it expands. Wear earplugs.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-08-21, 10:57 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Try inflating a tube outside of the the tire/rim and see how much it expands. Wear earplugs.

you might be surprised at how much it will stretch. granted, the more it stretches, the thinner it gets. it's a risk but if you goal is to get you out of the woods or home from a long ride, almost any tube can work as a last resort.
Likes For mack_turtle:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.