Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Battery choice question

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Battery choice question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 08:51 AM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Battery choice question

I am considering one of two kits for my bike.
1- has 36v 5.4amps
2- has 24v 5.2amps

which will give a better result on a front wheel 250w motor?

this is the new 2020 Hilltopper Sprinter vs the Leeds 250 kit
Hilltopper has a better battery mount system and much more sleek in the fact wires are true to size and not sloppy....Leeds gives so much wire that people wrap around frame....Hilltopper battery locks with key to prevent a quick theft, Leeds does not.
weight about same....Leeds has better warranty two years and seems like a better company. Prices are same, but Leeds accepts PayPal so I can make monthly no extra charge payments. I do not want a pas only a throttle to give me power for hills....when I want it.......so Swytch is out.

thanks
Larry
Old 04-02-21, 10:34 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Neither one. 24V was obsolete 20 years ago and 36V is circling the drain. I don't know anything about either of these systems but they sound like time wasters. If Leafmotor, EM3EV, GRIN, to name three have anything in your power range then do a comparison. In Europe where 250W is the legal maximum you can get quality systems at that power level. In the US where 750W is the legal maximum, 250W systems are being put out there to pick off the unwary. You need torque arms for front wheel installation. People will tell you you don't need them for <250W. I don't agree. A torque arm is cheap insurance. TL;DR: e-bike systems need to be over-everything to be practical. You need twice as much battery capacity and motor power as you are actually going to use. It is frustratingly counter-intuitive but if you buy a 250W system you will be using the motor and battery at their limit all the time. This will wear things out quite quickly.
Old 04-02-21, 11:26 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Search the posts here. The Hilltopper has a thread or two, and was generally well received and adequate for the intended purpose. Neither will help much on hills and you'll need to be maintain a speed of 8 - 10 mph in order to keep the motor from overheating.
Old 04-02-21, 02:59 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
A few years ago, you could get a decent 500W geared motor kit for $200 and a 36V battery for $300, While battery prices are the same, I don't see any inexpensive motor kits these days. They're all 1000W or higher or they cost $300 or more.

I'd suggest a rear motor kit. A little better as far as safety. You don't want your alloy forks breaking,
Old 04-02-21, 08:23 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
If you are just looking for part time assist then 250w is plenty. My front hub kit gets my tandem uphill while trailering a dog without having to drop out of the largest ring. I have the swytch you mentioned which btw does have a throttle option though I like the PAS.

I can't even imagine how much the power would be on a single bike not pulling an extra 200 pounds.

If you want full time assist then the larger capacity systems mentioned are probably the way to go.
Old 04-04-21, 09:08 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
The lower voltage battery with the same amp-hour rating will have less capacity. This not only means less range, but more frequent recharging. Since batteries are only rated for so many charge cycles this also means you will be replacing it sooner.

The earlier post about those voltages becoming obsolete will matter when it comes time to replace the battery, Choices might be limited.

By the way IMO the best way to prevent battery theft is to take it with you. Mine mounts with magnets and comes into the store with me. I've read articles saying key locks are easy to smash. The thief then buys a replacement shell for cheap.