Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bidwell Bike Pusher 2012

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Bidwell Bike Pusher 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 08:13 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Interesting. Looks like this only applies to manufactured ebikes and not DIY kits?
Old 04-05-21, 08:18 AM
DIYsteve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way I look at it is if someone is going to complain about an electric bike on a path etc rather than have "that" conversation about the new law and sticker bla bla bla...Just easier to have a sticker on it already and be done with it. Will it help?...dunno.
Old 04-05-21, 10:09 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Might not change things since stickers are a dime a dozen, It'll be interesting if/when the regulators decide to govern DIY. Policing will be another quandary.
Old 04-05-21, 10:13 AM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea...maybe an amendment to the rule in the future but just like everything else that was fun now becoming more and more regulated.
Old 04-05-21, 12:58 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Do you guys honestly worry about authorities enforcing ebike rules?

Not talking about ebike haters. I mean like a cop or park ranger.
Old 04-05-21, 01:53 PM
2old

They stop and ticket individuals at times in socal, but not if you know where to ride.
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-05-21, 02:52 PM
DIYsteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely...and if you haven't, it's just a matter of time.
Old 04-06-21, 06:52 AM
Pop N Wood

Originally Posted by 2old
They stop and ticket individuals at times in socal, but not if you know where to ride.
They ticket them for an illegal ebike, or for violating some other rule?

I've gotten tickets on Hermosa Beach many year ago for not walking my bike. Also multiple stop sign violations. So I know they police bike violations.

But is the cop actually making a judgement about whether the ebike is a valid ebike class for the specific trail? I can see them targeting a full on electric motor cycle with no pedals, especially if it is being ridden aggressively. But do they bother with a normal bike with say a hub motor conversion?

Just want to know.

Also for clarification do you know someone who has gotten such a ticket or is this something you have heard about? gives me some idea of just how common this might be.
Old 04-06-21, 07:19 AM
2old

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
They ticket them for an illegal ebike, or for violating some other rule?

I've gotten tickets on Hermosa Beach many year ago for not walking my bike. Also multiple stop sign violations. So I know they police bike violations.

But is the cop actually making a judgement about whether the ebike is a valid ebike class for the specific trail? I can see them targeting a full on electric motor cycle with no pedals, especially if it is being ridden aggressively. But do they bother with a normal bike with say a hub motor conversion?

Just want to know.

Also for clarification do you know someone who has gotten such a ticket or is this something you have heard about? gives me some idea of just how common this might be.
The Officers that ticketed did so because the e-bikes were in an area where prohibited. This includes all bike trails in socal and some bike paths. I don't know anyone who was ticketed, but have it on good authority (friends of friends). It's not a consideration to me since all my "e" activity is with one friend or solo and I ride only during the week in remote areas. Also, I've talked to Officers and Rangers who were patrolling when riding MTB and they stated they were there to ticket "e" riders.

Last edited by 2old; 04-06-21 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 04:08 PM
Pop N Wood

Originally Posted by 2old
The Officers that ticketed did so because the e-bikes were in an area where prohibited. This includes all bike trails in socal and some bike paths. I don't know anyone who was ticketed, but have it on good authority (friends of friends). It's not a consideration to me since all my "e" activity is with one friend or solo and I ride only during the week in remote areas. Also, I've talked to Officers and Rangers who were patrolling when riding MTB and they stated they were there to ticket "e" riders.
Good point of reference, thanks for the reply

But if I may trouble you for one piece of clarification, were these trails off limits to all ebikes, or just ones beyond a certain class? If the trails are class limited, how does the officer ascertain what programming limits are actually in the firmware?
Old 04-06-21, 04:24 PM
2old

All e-bikes are prohibited from every dirt off road trail in Orange County, CA, except fire roads and OHV areas which are open to all vehicles, As you know, it's very difficult to look at e-bikes and know their "class", so they prohibit all of them. I doubt there's a Police Officer or Ranger here that can tell one from another unless they're enthusiasts. When the "class" designations were promulgated, there was a stipulation that bikes were to be identified as 1, 2 or 3, but I don't think it's happened. No matter, they're all taboo off road.
Likes For 2old: