Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dillenger Kit

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Dillenger Kit

Old 04-18-21, 09:28 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Dillenger Kit

I have a Specialized Roll Elite step thru that I've had now for a couple of years. I love everything about this bike, so considering a kit instead of buying a whole new bike.

I've read as many post that contain information as I can find on this forum and have seen some that aren't very positive. And some that are.

Anybody recently added this to their bike? Would love to see some recent reviews.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-21, 11:10 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Not recent, but their 350w kit seems very similar to one procured about six years ago and still in use. It was a very nicely integrated system and reasonably priced. However, IMO, try to discover how long their batteries have been dormant.
Old 04-18-21, 07:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Go for the Specialized Como which is the electric Roll. It is an excellent bike and you will enjoy that bike quite a lot.
Old 04-18-21, 09:01 PM
2old

This is the Dillenger kit which was transferred to a $200 3-speed cruiser after four years. Needed to procure a new battery, but my daughter rides it around Las Vegas and had a particularly fun time on the Strip when it was closed last year. Depending on your budget DIY is very attractive and you're usually not saddled with a proprietary system with nobody except factory mechanics able to repair it. Another statement that some OEM-lovers like to spout is there are a myriad of extraneous cables strewn around the bike. Well, one front brake wire and one for the three-speed hub.
Old 04-20-21, 02:30 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
I have converted two bikes to ebikes with a Dillenger kit. I am satisfied with both conversions. The front hub Dillenger motor has its quirks, but nothing that would prevent me from recommending the kits as an inexpensive way to convert a bicycle to an ebike. I have one on a Redline Conquest and the other kit is on my Cannondale T2 Tandem. The three quirks are as follows;
1) When you stop from a sanding stop it kind of like a top fuel dragster taking off. It takes a little getting use to, but after awhile you learn to roll with it.
2) It is hard to explain, but I feel that sometimes the hub motor works against me pedaling the bike faster. Up to about 15-16 mph no problems above that I have to up the assist level so that the hub motor will let me go faster. (I have an Orbea Gain with a rear hub motor that does not have this issue. It is assists rather than resists my efforts.)
3) Neither one of my kits displays battery usage. It is always on full bar. I have replaced everything but the batteries. Not sure why this is happening to me, but I have figured out the range by assist level and it is no issue.
Old 04-20-21, 07:12 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Pridedog
Neither one of my kits displays battery usage. It is always on full bar. I have replaced everything but the batteries. Not sure why this is happening to me, but I have figured out the range by assist level and it is no issue.
I wonder if you could mount a small voltmeter somewhere near the battery. The display on my bike lists volts and that is what I use to determine percent charge.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-4-...10521843&psc=1

This one looks nice

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L8RDW17...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 04-20-21 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-21-21, 02:17 PM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I got the 750w "Premium Off-Road kit in January. I used it to convert a Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc. The kit came 4-days after I ordered it and it had everything I needed - well, almost. The Rear Drive kit comes naturally with a wheel - but it uses a freewheel not a freehub cassette. The Specialized comes with the cassette so I did have to buy a new Freewheel which I also got from Dillenger. I ordered a 9-speed freewheel which is tight for a freewheel. They usually are found on 6 to 8 speed bikes. Spacing is the problem with a 9-speed freewheel and I had nothing but trouble getting a smooth operating drive train and in the end I had to buy an 8-speed freewheel and shifter to convert the bike to 8-speeds. Not really a big problem but it was unforeseen and Dillenger support wasn't helpful at all with this.

Also, the Specialized disc rotor was a splined hub type so, I did have to buy a bolt on disc rotor - not a big deal at all.

I looked at the Roll model when I got my Crosstrail but don't remember much about it other than the fat tires. I assume it's not all that different mechanically so you may have to do some of the similar changes.

So, far, Dillenger's support has been pretty unhelpful, but I do think that they've tried to help but just aren't very well versed in bikes. For instance, the drive wheel they provide has larger spokes and the standard Specialized wheel's spokes are smaller. So, my spoke tightening tool didn't work on Dillenger's wheel. With a hub drive bike you need to tighten spokes often. But when I asked Dillenger support what size tool I needed they had no idea. So, when I found the correct sizing I notified them and told them what it was. They said thanks because they had no idea.

I've seen at least one other Dillenger SP Roll eBike build and it looked great. It was a mid-drive kit however which is probably the only way to go because of the width of the tires. Dillenger's rear hub kit would never accommodate tires that wide.

Here's the Dillenger kit in the box that I received:

Old 04-21-21, 02:33 PM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Here's a Specialized Roll Conversion video from YouTuber JohnnyNerdOut:

Old 04-21-21, 02:50 PM
2old

CP, for the road riding that bike seems suited for, the hub system is as good, maybe superior to a mid-drive. Please update as you enjoy it.
Old 04-21-21, 03:02 PM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Originally Posted by 2old
CP, for the road riding that bike seems suited for, the hub system is as good, maybe superior to a mid-drive. Please update as you enjoy it.
I'm enjoying it immensely but had I gone with the mid-drive I could have kept the original wheel, freehub/cassette and 9-speed drive train. It's not really an issue now that I've got everything sorted. And, as I said, it's been great and super fun to ride. I know a mid-drive is hard on the chain and rear drive parts, but so is the hub-drive hard on the wheel/spokes. I have added an aftermarket torque arm to preserve my frame dropouts.

I appreciate that the Dillenger Kit was so complete, as well. The box came quickly, installed in maybe a day and half max and has been trouble free.
Old 04-22-21, 07:55 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I wonder if you could mount a small voltmeter somewhere near the battery. The display on my bike lists volts and that is what I use to determine percent charge.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-4-...10521843&psc=1

This one looks nice

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L8RDW17...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Looks neat, but I have no clue how to install something like that. Sadly I am a bicyclist and not an electrical engineer. I might give it a try. Thanks for suggestion.
Old 04-29-21, 11:28 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Just picked up my Roll after the installation! Wow! Such fun and great help. It only took about 3-4 days after I ordered from Dillenger to get the kit. My LBS did the install in 2 days. I couldn't be happier.