Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Old 04-15-21, 07:51 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 324 Posts
72-73 Bianchi Strada with (low end) Campagnolo derailleurs.

After a lot of cleaning all I added was a saddle, tires, bar tape, and a new cog to replace a cracked one on the derailleur tensioner. Oh, and sawed the prongs off the death stem.

Rides very sprightly for a bike made out of gas pipe.
Likes For albrt:
Old 04-17-21, 02:35 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

The Miyata 1000LT is done ‘cept for the tires...Next!
Wasn’t gonna be, “Next!”, but somehow it moved up by pulling the curiosity card. This was given to me 5-6 years ago...never did anything with it...never even put the front wheel on it as far as I remember!
Owner was a dedicated rider, so upkeep was, well, kept up!
Tires are new!
Wheels have very little brake wear, ‘cept for the rear wheel...must’ve been really out true! Rest of the wheel is almost new! The front wheel looks new!

May be a couple’a or more new spokes...

Chain measures “new”...very overserviced!

Got’a research this and get a battery...
Old 04-17-21, 04:05 PM
billnuke1 

I took off those Scott bars! Picked up some real estate! This bicycle doesn’t need any help turning fast! Love these old Treks!
Old 04-18-21, 09:10 AM
billnuke1 

Test riding the Trek and the Miyata 1000LT( changed handlebar position)...put this on the stand...I hate an empty stand...

Miyata 610...

Tracks straight...no hands steady...everything lines up...I’m ridin’ it!
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 04-18-21, 11:38 AM
billnuke1 

Well the 610 was awesome! Adjusted the seat, a bit of Phil’s Tenacious behind each ear...No! No! On the brake and the derailleurs...and we’re ready for the next patient...a Nashbar Toure...again...just a little touch up lube...
...and one brake cable needs to be routed over and behind the bars...

Just a great riding bicycle!

All of these are starting to do this...I found 4 or 5 of these last year...NOS...never left the display case...disintegrated as we removed them from their boxes! They gave me the pieces, mechanism...3D printer possibilities...anybody out there have the capability? Inspiration? Not me... I’m thinkin’ duct tape!
Old 04-18-21, 11:55 AM
billnuke1 

The waiting room...the Fuji Del Rey Silver Star is basically brand new! Gentleman rode only a few times before crashing when he couldn’t extract his foot from the pedal! Bicycle was horribly built! Everything was “maladjusted”! Too tight! Too loose! I didn’t dare leave anything untouched! Even the tubes were all twisted in the tires! Just a fabulous riding bicycle!
The Trek 1400 used to reside in the back of the work truck for daily Banzai runs after work!
I’d put on my funny clothes and ride for 1 hour as hard as fast as I could!
Just a great all round bicycle!
The rest don’t need any explanation...Well, as I get to them...

Last edited by billnuke1; 04-18-21 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Words...
Old 04-18-21, 03:10 PM
billnuke1 

Bicycles left up stairs to be brought down...I’m most excited about the Motobecane Le Champion!
Bought from the son of the original owner...a well ridden, appreciated bicycle!
A beautiful survivor!
I will take my time with this one!

Vista and a blacked out C’dale...

This disguised bicycle is supposedly a hand built bicycle from a well known, mid west builder...I have a Superb group that may end up on here...

Kabuki...the Le Champion and a sweet lil Peugeot 501 I believe...gots some Campy stuff...

🤩!
May come down tonight!
Old 04-18-21, 04:36 PM
billnuke1 

Yup! Had to bring it down! Bike was a little over serviced so it will clean up nicely! Beautiful layer of grease on the chrome bits! The Mavic G40s will do just fine for the time being...maybe I’ll lace some clinchers rims onto the Camp hubs...oorrrr...maybe I’ll go totally tubular...we’ll see how the wheels clean up...Mavic Championnat Du Monde wheels, beautiful Campy wide flange 36 hole hubs...
Oh.Yeah...Check out that gorgeous Brooks Professional seat!

Definitely going to do this as I get to it! No rush! 1972 by the rear derailleur...

Last edited by billnuke1; 04-18-21 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Misplaced words...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 04-19-21, 04:05 AM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
I think both the 1972 & 1973 Le Champion had head badges, not stickers. I believe in 1974 they went to a sticker.
Old 04-19-21, 05:06 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
The long story: my 15-yr-old niece comes over w/her road bike, a 1999 Bianchi Lite Alloy (which I got for her, for coming along w/me and her dad on road spins), it's her "good" road bike but it's also her only bike... and there's the problem, as she's after knocking it over while going through a field on her way to the park to meet some friends and they were heading to the beach, so the front lever is bent and there's salt and sand everywhere and... good lord.

Obviously there's a need for another bike, something to take the wear-and-tear off the good road bike. I found this neglected Trek 6500ZX, it needed new shifters & derailleurs, cables and housing, and a lot of cleaning; I had a NOS rear LX derailleur and a decent set of old tyres, and cosmetically it's ugly as hell, but that kinda makes it perfect for it's intended use. After waiting weeks for new shifters to arrive from China (because nothing is available locally), we made this a project for her to go through completely, to remove, clean, replace, reinstall, adjust etc. everything it needed. I only supervised.

Now she's 100% familiar with everything and the next time she bashes it against a curb or whatever, 1) it may not break because it's a sturdy, solid little bike, 2) if it does break it doesn't matter, it's not her "good" bike, and 3) she knows now how to fix or replace it.

But she'd still probably just call a taxi (aka "mom"). LOL Was a fun project for me anyway. I like to think she's learned a lot too.

Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 04-20-21, 08:52 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Removed the Koga Beachracer hub (which are essentially Cannondale FH-536 hubs) from the wheel and overhauled it so I can build a new wheel when all the parts come in later this week.

With some new waterproof grease and Phil Tenacious Oil on the pawls it is also a whole lot quieter.

Last edited by JaccoW; 04-20-21 at 08:55 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 04-20-21, 10:55 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts
Just finished this '89 Fisher Paragon which literally came out of a chicken coop. Was a real basket case but was all original except for a DH bar which I swapped, otherwise nice M730 parts.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 04-20-21, 07:30 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Welll....it's not C&V but it is a vintage design since it's based on their 1930's Path Racer. Oh and made with Reynolds 531. Got this in yesterday and a few months wait and put it mostly together. Finished it up this afternoon and then took it out for a little ambling ride. I feel like I need some Tweed in my life now, LOL!

Oh and the potable Park work stand finally met it's match with this beast. Halfway through tuning it up the lockdown on the stand started to slip under the weight of the portly beast.

Pretty dang sweet looking and comfy on the first ride.

What a name!

Pictures don't do the sheen and richness of the black paint justice. 3 Speed S/A IGH, Brooks saddle, MKS pedals, drum brakes (wah, no rod brakes) and gold pinstriping on the wheels!
Old 04-20-21, 08:33 PM
SotR23

Bikes: 71 Raleigh Grand Prix, 73 Raleigh Super Course, 73 Raleigh Gran Sport, 72 Raleigh Competition, 79 Raleigh Competition GS, 74 Raleigh International, 78 Raleigh Professional, 36 Raleigh 3-Speed, 37 Raleigh 3-Speed, 57 Lenton Sports, 71 Raleigh DL-1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
(re)-Maiden Voyage for 72 Raleigh Competition

...7 miles in and I hit some uneven pavement and down we go. Great start...

Scrape on bar tape - badge of dishonor

Likes For SotR23:
Old 04-21-21, 04:00 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1

All of these are starting to do this...I found 4 or 5 of these last year...NOS...never left the display case...disintegrated as we removed them from their boxes! They gave me the pieces, mechanism...3D printer possibilities...anybody out there have the capability? Inspiration? Not me... I’m thinkin’ duct tape!
Since I don't know that it cannot be done, I would fab a new strap from sheet aluminum, maybe chop a scrap of gutter. May need some sort of block from aluminum or hardwood for the bolt block and thin inner tube to protect the paint and added grip on the down tube. But, then, I've never had one of these in hand, only photos.
Old 04-21-21, 04:28 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
And one wheel done

Old 04-21-21, 08:13 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Maybe taking "French Fit" to it's limits for me. Parts bin build on the co-op Centur-elli. Even with a 110mm stem, it really feels good. Only had time for a few miles today, hoping to take it out tomorrow before the rain.

maybe a *bit* too big..
Old 04-22-21, 12:45 AM
IdahoSpud
Still Wheelies Motorcycle

Bikes: Masi, Novara, Specialized

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Unfortunately, what I've been wrenching on and using a lot recently is not a bike 😒

Old 04-22-21, 12:43 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Hard to enjoy wrenching on this. A young fellow who has struggled learning to ride is going to use it as a balance bike.

Likes For eom:
Old 04-22-21, 01:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Currently working on a 1982(ish) Lotus Supreme I found on CL. Tange steel frame brazed by Tsunoda, full Dura Ace EX kit. Here's what it looked like when I got it...

There is a back wheel, Dura Ace EX 6 speed freehub with MA40 rim.

Currently reduced to a frame, fork, and parts in a bucket, as well as an unconscionably large number of bits still in transit.
Yesterday was THE day, when all the parts had arrived (except the front wheel, I used a spare), the frame had been treated with Kurust, touched up, and then waxed, and all the tools were at hand:

6 hours later.....

And of course, I finished after dark, so I haven't had any chance to ride it! That comes later this afternoon.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-22-21, 09:23 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Yesterday was THE day, when all the parts had arrived (except the front wheel, I used a spare), the frame had been treated with Kurust, touched up, and then waxed, and all the tools were at hand:

6 hours later.....

And of course, I finished after dark, so I haven't had any chance to ride it! That comes later this afternoon.
GJ, That turned out fantastic....it would be great to get some photos out in the daylight.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 04-22-21, 10:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
GJ, That turned out fantastic....it would be great to get some photos out in the daylight.
Best, Ben
Your wish is my command!

Got these with the last of the sunlight as the clouds swept in, after a 15 mile shakedown cruise. While I was out, the last piece arrived - a matching front wheel, MA40 on a Dura Ace hub. (okay, it's 7400 while the rest of the bike is 7200. Sue me!)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-23-21, 12:42 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Picked this old Torpado up, a few days ago. Checked to ensure that the seat post and stem were not seized. No problems with either. Gonna harvest it for the components...
Old 04-23-21, 06:27 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Your wish is my command!

Got these with the last of the sunlight as the clouds swept in, after a 15 mile shakedown cruise. While I was out, the last piece arrived - a matching front wheel, MA40 on a Dura Ace hub. (okay, it's 7400 while the rest of the bike is 7200. Sue me!)

That really turned out nice.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 04-23-21, 06:32 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Picked this old Torpado up, a few days ago. Checked to ensure that the seat post and stem were not seized. No problems with either. Gonna harvest it for the components...
Noooo, please don’t. That bike deserves a full restoration. My vintage bike heart just spoke...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.