Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ever stripped (NOT ROUNDED!) a nipple due to short spokes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 12:04 AM
PNB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

I just build a wheelset with DT 240s hubs and Kinlin TB25 rims.
For the spoke length I took the declared ERD value vor granted and picked 288/290mm Comp/Revo spokes (3 cross both sides)
As all too soon came clear the spokes, especially at DS are some too short - by 1-1,5mm.
I.e. 4-5 nipple threads are not engaged in the head.

As found out in another forum the reason is, that the declared ERD is not far from a plain lie - actually it would be around 590.

Now I´ve to decide whether to keep it this way.
Is I replace the spoke with longer ones, besides the waste of time - wheels are meanwhile done - there is a mild risk that they would end up TOO long.
If I keep it like this and a spoke comes free that would be VERY bad.
I´m 77-78kg, wheels are intended for long mountain races, they do not have to last forever, 2-3 years and a total of 6000-8000km would be just fine, then rebuild/upgrade would be on schedule anyway.

Another solution would be to use 14mm nipples, they have 1mm more thread at the bottom, but then the spoke would bend even sharper leaving the rim, I do not like it so much.

Nipples are brass (on DS)

Any similar experience out there?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by PNB; 10-16-08 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-16-08, 12:25 AM
ogbigbird

Bikes: like 15. my favorite a 1951 schwinn spitfire cruiser. also have a 1959 amf roadmaster, 1962 jch deluxe cruiser among others.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one by one, replace your short spokes with the right ones that proporly engage the nipples. it could suck and be time comsuming, but your other option is to tear the wheel down to scratch and rebuild from the ground up and that wouldn't make sense. just pretend your changing out a broken spoke. 30 some odd broken spokes, and to just leave it would be retarted, not to mention potentially unsafe. one by one.
Old 10-16-08, 09:23 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If you are stuck between spoke sizes, use the slightly shorter spokes and get longer nipples.
Old 10-19-08, 11:19 AM
fcormier

Bikes: 2013 Norco Indie IGH Alfine 8, 2008½ Kona Jake, 2003 Giant Iguana, 1994 Rocky Moutain Équipe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never stripped a nipple on a spoke that was too short, but I had one break in two.
Old 10-19-08, 12:13 PM
PNB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all.
Meanwhile I replaced the short spokes with suitable ones and now I can sleep well again.
No kidding, I really wasn´t.