Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

26 inch folding bike?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

26 inch folding bike?

Old 04-23-15, 07:22 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
26 inch folding bike?

Yep, I am asking about 26 inch folding bikes. I do not know what most of the choices are. What I want is....
26 inch wheels
2 inch mt bike tires
rim brakes, not disc
single speed is ok, (slideing dropouts,) but is to much to hope for
Old 04-23-15, 09:16 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Have you had a look at Montague offerings?
Old 04-23-15, 09:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I'd check your local Craigslist. I see them pop up from time to time.

Also look on E-Bay. Once you start seeing what is available, you can narrow down what you want. I don't think I'd hold out for discs.

I can't tell about horizontal dropouts. The Fuji looks like it may have relatively long dropouts. The Dahon may also have horizontal dropouts, but shorter???? You'd need some close-ups to see if they are what you want.

Here are a couple that are local here in Eugene.

fuji folding cycle - $65 (west 11th)

Dahon Folding Bike - $450 (south eugene)

Shipping would be a pain, but not impossible.

Last edited by CliffordK; 04-23-15 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 07:47 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Perhaps I give an example of what the bike would be used for.

In the NE corner of Guatemala there are some 2,600 year old Mayan ruins. The best way to get there would be on a bicycle. Fly to Guatemala, with bike in a case, fold bike and ride a bus, unfold bike and ride around town to buy food etc, fold bike and ride bus, unfold bike and ride to ruins with much food for many days, enjoy.

or

Ride Baja Mexico. Not ride Mex 1. Do ride back roads with wide tires, do take local bus with bike folded to avoid narrow highway, unfold bike and ride safe back road.
Old 04-24-15, 07:55 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
The fuji would most likely work, but, I am far from Eugene today.

Aluminum Paratroper, the aluminum part puts me off. Anybody ride one 10,000 miles, and want to report? Anyone no how to get a paratroper frame only? Are there any other choices besides the Paratroper that use common size hubs and common parts?

Being able to fly with the bike is important!
Old 04-24-15, 09:09 PM
CliffordK

Are you wanting single speed (or something to convert to single speed), or geared?
And, your planned touring, are you headed to the mountains?

Where are you located?

I can probably go snag the Fuji, and ship it across the USA (if it hasn't sold yet), but probably not out of the country. It looks like it is a steel frame. It says it needs work. I don't know what that means, but assume you need to go through everything. Brakes, wheels, shifters, etc.

Shipping for bikes seems to run $50 to $100. But, I'd encourage you to do a bit of hunting locally, and thus avoid the shipping.

Are you sure a 26" bike is what you need, and not a 20" one? The 26" is probably a bit more rugged, but the 20" would be easier to pack and ship. And BMX tires/wheels are good.

I also know of a 700c frame (I think) with S&S couplers for $250 or so. You'd have to do the rest of the bike build. The brand wasn't obvious when looking at it. The S&S coupled bikes are supposed to pack nicely, but presumably take a bit more work to get disassembled and assembled.
Old 04-25-15, 02:18 AM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The first generation of Montague bikes where called the bi frame and were all steel frames and forks. There sold under different brand names as well such as Schwinn, Rudge and BMW to name a few.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MontagueM1000BiFrame.jpg (41.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg
MontagueBiFrameandBag.jpg (64.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 04-25-15, 08:46 AM
Celika

Bikes: Raleigh Maverick '15, Dahon Speed D7 ~2007, and a lot :)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello
Dahon have others models of "big folding bikes", like the Expresso. It's heavy, low end components, but one of the most affordable "correct" 26" folding on market. Cheaper must be, i think, a kind of lottery because they are for a majority copies of montague bikes, made in china without quality control.
But it's possible you could find a good model in these prices.

These big wheel folding could be a good base for upgrading and have a honnest touring or sport road bike, like here:

Of course the big problem is the place they take, compared to a 20" folding...
Old 04-25-15, 09:21 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
I just purchased a Tern Joe P24. It's fantastic for the price, fully upgradeable, my fenders and rack for it arrive today. It can even take 2.35 inch Schwalbe Big Apple tires. And it's a SOLID RIDE! I don't feel like I'm riding a folder at all.
Old 04-25-15, 03:23 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Are you wanting single speed (or something to convert to single speed), or geared?
And, your planned touring, are you headed to the mountains?

Where are you located?

I can probably go snag the Fuji, and ship it across the USA (if it hasn't sold yet), but probably not out of the country. It looks like it is a steel frame. It says it needs work. I don't know what that means, but assume you need to go through everything. Brakes, wheels, shifters, etc.

Shipping for bikes seems to run $50 to $100. But, I'd encourage you to do a bit of hunting locally, and thus avoid the shipping.

Are you sure a 26" bike is what you need, and not a 20" one? The 26" is probably a bit more rugged, but the 20" would be easier to pack and ship. And BMX tires/wheels are good.

I also know of a 700c frame (I think) with S&S couplers for $250 or so. You'd have to do the rest of the bike build. The brand wasn't obvious when looking at it. The S&S coupled bikes are supposed to pack nicely, but presumably take a bit more work to get disassembled and assembled.
26 parts are available all over the world. Most of the 20 inch folders have their own size hub, and dont take bmx wheels.
Can you find out what size the S&S bike frame is?
Are they selling the case with the frame?
thanks

Last edited by chrisx; 04-25-15 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 04:46 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Most 20 inch folders that I've seen use regular bmx tires & innertubes.

As for gearing, I'd recommend it if you plan on riding around and site seeing. Makes hills and such less tiring.
Old 04-25-15, 05:23 PM
chrisx

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
the wheels from bmx do not fit a folder,
Old 04-25-15, 09:58 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by chrisx
26 parts are available all over the world. Most of the 20 inch folders have their own size hub, and dont take bmx wheels.
Can you find out what size the S&S bike frame is?
Are they selling the case with the frame?
thanks
I'm sure it was either 700c or 27", but I'll take a look at it Tuesday (the shop where it is at is closed on Sunday/Monday). I'll try to take some photos, and measure the seat tube and top tube too.

I believe it was a bare frame + fork for $250, no case or bags.
Old 04-25-15, 09:58 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Depends. Most folders still have a 100mm dropout in the front (or am I behind the times?). Exceptions I know of are Dahon, Tern, Bike Friday (20" ones considered here).

Also, many BMX bikes use standard 10mm front axles. Still dead easy to buy a BMX front wheel with 10mm axles, at least.
Old 04-25-15, 10:15 PM
CliffordK

Most BMX (children's) bikes use the 20x1.5 to 2.125 rims (406mm).

The high-end folders use 20x1 1/8 (451mm). However, the low end folders still use the 406mm rims.

If you did a custom-fab bike, such as Bike Friday, then you could probably specify exactly which wheels, dropout width, etc. It wouldn't be fun to blow something up, then have to mount a BMX single speed wheel, but you could make it work. Or, simply acquire a good rim and custom build the wheel.
Old 04-26-15, 07:04 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I've owned 2 20 inch wheeled folders (Xootr Swift, and a Melon Slice), and I still own a Lombardo 20 inch wheeled minivelo. ALL use standard tires - including BMX tires. There are thinner rims designed for speed, but most average folders don't have them stock. Tern, Dahon, Xootr,...all use the 406 rims. And all were great quality - especially my custom built 406 wheelset w/the NuVinci N360 hubset.
Old 04-26-15, 11:49 AM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
I've owned 2 20 inch wheeled folders (Xootr Swift, and a Melon Slice), and I still own a Lombardo 20 inch wheeled minivelo. ALL use standard tires - including BMX tires. There are thinner rims designed for speed, but most average folders don't have them stock. Tern, Dahon, Xootr,...all use the 406 rims. And all were great quality - especially my custom built 406 wheelset w/the NuVinci N360 hubset.
I think chrisx is trying to say that the HUBS in the front wheel of most 20" folding bikes (and thus the front wheel) is not the same as the hub width on a bmx bike. Not the tires.
Old 04-26-15, 12:00 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '06 Specialized Epic Marathon MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Perhaps I give an example of what the bike would be used for.

In the NE corner of Guatemala there are some 2,600 year old Mayan ruins. The best way to get there would be on a bicycle. Fly to Guatemala, with bike in a case, fold bike and ride a bus, unfold bike and ride around town to buy food etc, fold bike and ride bus, unfold bike and ride to ruins with much food for many days, enjoy.

or

Ride Baja Mexico. Not ride Mex 1. Do ride back roads with wide tires, do take local bus with bike folded to avoid narrow highway, unfold bike and ride safe back road.
It sounds like a nobel idea if you can find the right folding bike. But don't let the folding bike thing deter you from your accomplishing your dream trip(s). The two scenarios you presented above are really doable with a regular (non-folding) 26"-wheeled bike. You can put any size bike in the cargo area of any bus in Mexico and most of Latin America, usually at no extra charge, or worst case for a small tip to the bus driver.

The only scenario I could foresee needing a folding bike or demountable (e.g., S&S couplers) is for flying, esp. if taking puddle jumpers is part of the itinerary. Buses, trains, ferries, small boats should not present a problem.

IMO, your search should be about finding a solid bike for the job. If you can get it in either a folding format or with S&S couplers, that's icing on the cake. The discontinued Surly LHT Deluxe is a good match for this kind of adventure. Check out, however, their soon-to-be-launched World Troller which will be even more capable on the rough off roads of Baja and muddy roads of Central America -- 26" wheels (check), off-road capable (check), compatible with rim or disc brakes (check), wide tire clearance (check), S&S couplers for easy traveling (check).
Old 04-26-15, 12:31 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by atombikes
I think chrisx is trying to say that the HUBS in the front wheel of most 20" folding bikes (and thus the front wheel) is not the same as the hub width on a bmx bike. Not the tires.
That might make a bit more sense. My son's BMX bike has some thick, wide hubs. They might not work on a folder.
Old 04-26-15, 12:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
But the ETRTO tire standard BSD ie 406 is common to folders with 20" wheels of that size and BMX .

If you are speaking of different hub widths Please measure the width and converse in the Measured Numbers ..

My Bike Friday front wheel and the 2 wheels on my Burly trailer are all 100mm wide with 9mm axles that happen to be QR,

some 16" wheel bikes have a 74mm wide Hub, part of making the fold that much more compact.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-26-15 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-26-15, 04:49 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The high-end folders use 20x1 1/8 (451mm). However, the low end folders still use the 406mm rims.
Bike Friday fan? 451 doesn't equate to high-end. My Speed Pro TT and former Mu SL had 406 Kinetix's. As do most of the higher end performance folders from Dahon and Tern.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 04-26-15, 09:29 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
Buses, trains, ferries, small boats should not present a problem.
They shouldn't.

I got kicked off the train in the middle of nowhwere at midnight in Italy for taking my bike on the train. Last train through the station, and they were closing up quickly as I was still trying to figure out what to do. I never did get my ticket refund. I think I would have been fine with a monster sized bag that it could fit in (wheels off), but since it looked like a bike, the conductor didn't like it. Fortunately it was on a road leading "home", so I took off and rode until I couldn't ride anymore.

That was before LED lamps, so to conserve batteries I would just turn off my taillight until I saw a car coming, then turn it back on until the car passed.

But, here in the USA, I've had my bike in the train baggage car, and I think in the under bus storage compartment, as well as with me on trams. So far I haven't had it riding on the front or rear bumper of a bus.
Old 04-26-15, 09:31 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by dynaryder
Bike Friday fan? 451 doesn't equate to high-end. My Speed Pro TT and former Mu SL had 406 Kinetix's. As do most of the higher end performance folders from Dahon and Tern.
Yeah...
Bike Friday is the Local Bike Shop around here.

But, I must admit that my folder is a low-budget Chinese bike
Old 04-26-15, 10:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
20" BiFri, 16" Brompton [FWIW neither cheap.]

Bi Fri has nice pre delivery options , Brompton I changed things once I owned it.
Old 04-27-15, 06:44 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
FWIW, the Dahon Cadenza (& Candenza Solo), the Dahon Flo, the Dahon Fuego and Dahon Zero G all approach what you asked for in post 1.

For the scenarios in post 4, IMO you're over thinking a need to fit locally available wheels - and for that matter, a need to even fold the bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.