Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is food over rated?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is food over rated?

Old 07-03-20, 07:38 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Is food over rated?

just returned from 25 mile ride feeling good. I ate handful of peanuts, coffee glass of iced tea.
been riding early since Covid often on empty stomach.
feeling good, losing weight. by cutting back on my food I'm feeling better. but dumb founded. so what is the science here?
Old 07-03-20, 08:19 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
just returned from 25 mile ride feeling good. I ate handful of peanuts, coffee glass of iced tea.
feeling good, losing weight. by cutting back on my food I'm feeling better. but dumb founded. so what is the science here?
Much reduced insulin levels.. body does more thorough cleaning of whole cell system. Thinner is better. DO.. get enough protein to keep muscle atrophy at bay though.
Old 07-03-20, 08:53 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
The science is that this experiment is not designed correctly to prove or disprove the hypothesis.

Science asks a question. In this case it seems: Is food overrated (for cycling)?
You then design an experiment to prove or disprove the hypothesis, or answer the question. The variables of the experiment should act to answer the question directly.
In this case, for a reasonably fit cyclist, 25 miles is not a long enough distance for food, eaten en route, to make a demonstrable difference.

At this point you need to reconsider the variables and rerun the experiment. Try riding 100 miles and see what happens. Will you bonk? Is food overrated?
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 07-03-20, 09:08 AM
dusty01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

so I do a bunch of different physical exercises, and I perform better fasted. I like to lift or run at 0430 in morning and then head to work outdoors doing physical work. I’ll eat at around lunch for the first time. I have better results and feel better this way than eating a breakfast.
Likes For dusty01:
Old 07-03-20, 09:29 AM
ridinsince80

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I think you should look at the science behind fasted cardio as it has been shown as a good way to burn fat. My experience has been under 20 miles I just go and am fine.

20-50 you will feel better if you eat carbs the night before. For me this is a pint of low alcohol beer (4.75% lager) and some pasta. During the ride, just eat some carbs... it is not complicated but bananas and fig bars are good choices. Eat small and often.

For me drinking (water) is really key. A lot of water before I go. A water bottle per hour along the road. Learn to drink on the bike and you will be happy!
Old 07-03-20, 09:51 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 09-18-23 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-03-20, 09:56 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I could do 25 miles fasted seven days a week. I don't eat anything on rides under 50 miles. I did this month's Strava Metric Challenge on a single bottle of water.

And I eat a whole lot. I'm not thin and I love food. I'm eating chorizo tacos while I type this. Some rides make me hungry, some rides don't. But food is definitely not overrated.

If not for food, what is the point of any of this?
Old 07-03-20, 09:58 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Is food overrated?

In general, no... but I guess you mean while cycling.

I typically ride 15 - 25 miles, and all I ever take with me is a little 35mm film container of sunflower seeds and a 20oz. bottle of water. Longer rides would be a different story, but for these distances, I usually eat nothing and drink maybe 8 ounces of water. If I think of it, I'll down my snack 15 miles into my longer rides. I do eat before riding, hopefully with a half hour to digest in between.

Science is good, but so is listening to your body and what makes you feel well and good.
Old 07-03-20, 10:39 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by dusty01
so I do a bunch of different physical exercises, and I perform better fasted. I like to lift or run at 0430 in morning and then head to work outdoors doing physical work. I’ll eat at around lunch for the first time. I have better results and feel better this way than eating a breakfast.
agree 100%.
Old 07-03-20, 11:42 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Unless I want to feel a lack of energy and hunger,I cannot ride 25 miles without eating before and/or during the ride. I have always been skinny with a naturally fast metabolism. I am 5' 8" and weigh about 150 to 155 with nothing on. In the winter I usually hover within 2 lbs. of 160. Food definitely not overrated. I drink close to 1 quart of liquids, usually water, per hour while riding.
Old 07-03-20, 12:32 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Seems to me like you've inadvertently discovered what the intermittent fasting crowd has been trying to tell people for a while. I.e., you might actually feel better if you eat less. I speak from experience on this and starting next week I'll be doing my quarterly 3 day food fast were I just drink green tea and/or black coffee for 3 days (no sugar or carbs as that defeats the purpose of fasting). During those days I don't do any hard rides as to risk over-stressing my body, but that time away from food gives my body a "break from food" in which it apparently goes into a "reparative mode". (Longer fasts from food usually result in the body being able to do more repair.)

Anywho, OP, I encourage you to continue to research and experiment with calorie restriction and it's effect on your body. You'll certainly be bucking the trend of over-eating that most of society is addicted to, but your body will thank you. (This is assuming you're not diabetic.)

Note that I'm not suggesting that starving yourself is a good or healthy training plan... If you're a competitive cyclist, fasting probably isn't for you. However, if you're a normal recreational cyclist looking to improve your overall health and lose weight, calorie restriction is certainly something you should consider.

Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 07-03-20 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-03-20, 12:37 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
It shouldn't be a surprise that 25 mile rides don't require food. Just water is fine (before and during) for short ones, even at a quick pace.

I wouldn't try that with a fast century, or a really tough climb, though.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 07-03-20, 12:37 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Depends on how long a ride takes me. There are some short rides around here that are just a climb up a mountain, and I probably would eat on a 25 mile ride. Generally I wouldn't though, I usually have to force myself to start eating at 25 miles if I'm going on a longer ride, or I start feeling horrible at about 50 miles.
Old 07-03-20, 12:40 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
yes. drink, on the other hand...
Old 07-03-20, 12:44 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
I’ve bonked enough times that I rarely/never go out on a ride without at least SOME food on board. Even a flat 20 miles I have a mini clif bar in my pocket just in case.

I’ve done fasted rides/runs, but I usually have to top up the glycogen levels straight after, be it a sandwich, bowl of cereal or a protein shake. I try not to do that if I’m planning on doing any climbing.

And I always have a bottle of water. And these days, a second bottle with electrolytes for any ride more than 2 hours.
Old 07-03-20, 01:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I rode 35 miles last evening with two Cliff bars in my pocket. Came home and set them aside for the next ride. On a 50 mile ride I might eat them. 70 miles, them and a PB sandwich. But I often come home with uneaten food.

In my racing days I rode my 45 mile loop early before I ate anything. Did it in 2 hours flat once, honoring traffic signals. For important races, I ate nothing but fruit and liquids the 24 hours before.

Now conditioning counts for a lot! I've ridden 70 miles on nothing but Vitalyte in my water bottles. I've also ridden 40 miles when I wasn't in great form and had to eat my way through it.
Old 07-03-20, 01:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
There is no such thing as nutrition science...Nutrition science is not real science, it is just a bunch of theories, opinions, anecdotes and wild guesses, all of it to be taken with a grain of salt...If you're eating a certain way and it works for you, then that's all that matters, just keep doing what you're doing and ignore science..
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-03-20, 01:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by dusty01
I've had the same experience as what you describe. I have more energy in the morning, more mental clarity and overall better feeing when I skip breakfast and start eating later in the day. I can easily do a 3 hour fasted bike ride very early in the morning or do some other workout in a fasted state and feel great.
Old 07-03-20, 01:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There is no such thing as nutrition science...Nutrition science is not real science, it is just a bunch of theories, opinions, anecdotes and wild guesses, all of it to be taken with a grain of salt...If you're eating a certain way and it works for you, then that's all that matters, just keep doing what you're doing and ignore science..

I think there's some science, but it's all pointing in the direction of "everybody is different" , which basically means it's going to be useless in determining what you should do. Trial and error, only thing that makes sense.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-03-20, 01:47 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
A 25 mile ride on my roadie is usually an after work ride, and I'll eat a banana and drink a Kroger sugar free energy drink before hand, but I won't worry much about anything during the ride.
Old 07-03-20, 01:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I do a fasted 25 mile ride several times a week. I generally eat my usual breakfast before my routine weekly century and the 70 mile or so ride the next day. Lately, I have been eating only protein bars on the long rides. Pre-COVID I would do a 150 mile ride per week with a full meal at about 75 miles. I don't want to eat at restaurants right now, so that's out. The meal thing worked for me, but I don't think I'm typical, so don't try this at home.
​​​​​​
Old 07-03-20, 02:44 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
I'm curious, for those of you who say you feel and perform better fasted than when you have breakfast; how long in advance of your exercise do you eat your breakfast in those cases. I often do fasted rides in the morning, especially in the summer with the early daylight. However, if I am able to have a good breakfast such as oatmeal made with whole milk, with a banana and raisins, then wait a couple hours, I find that I do indeed have more energy for rides extending to 3 hours and beyond.
Old 07-03-20, 02:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,263 Times in 7,221 Posts
Hence the “club cut” cycling jersey.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-03-20, 03:27 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I think food during rides is a bit overrated. I do indoor workouts and my recent 2hr workouts with 20-30min intervals at 90% ftp (ftp is 285) use about 1500 calories. I do those workouts with a cup of coffee and maybe 100 calories of something else solid and I’m good to go because I’m never that depleted since I eat the rest of the day. I can assure many recreational cyclists on this forum don’t expend as much. Given that our bodies carry a lot of stored glycogen, a lot of folks don’t need anything at all
Old 07-03-20, 03:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,263 Times in 7,221 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I can assure many recreational cyclists on this forum don’t expend as much. Given that our bodies carry a lot of stored glycogen, a lot of folks don’t need anything at all
I’ve seen it during local club rides. 35-40 miles with not that much climbing and people are having calorie ladened food during the stop. Two decades ago I rode across the country and then some self contained. I actually put on fat in the Midwest because I was still eating like I was in the mountains of the west.

Over the last couple of years I have experimented with eating less and it has worked. Last year during a two-week tour in MT and ID I did a 50 mile day with nearly 4,100’ of climbing. Most of the first 30 miles were up hill to one degree or another. Some fig bars and coffee for breakfast. On the road I ate two Cliff Bars, a bottle of Perpetuem and an apple. (There were no services anywhere en route.) I was hungry when I finished, but I was fine during the ride. And I was pedaling this:

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-03-20 at 03:48 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.