Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Can they make up their minds about HIIT vs cardio?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 02-19-21, 02:21 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts

https://www.bicycling.com/health-nut...xercise-study/

After six weeks, all participants showed fitness gains, but only the group who rode steady-state for 40 minutes saw a decline in body fat, as well as improved glycemic response to the shake and lower blood pressure.
Like Nike says, just do it and don't worry about which tribe to join. Does nike sell biking shoes?
Old 02-19-21, 02:41 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos

Like Nike says, just do it and don't worry about which tribe to join. Does nike sell biking shoes?
I suggest you take your question to where “they” are most likely located: the Bike Forums Training and Nutrition Forum.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 02-19-21, 06:08 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I suggest you take your question to where “they” are most likely located: the Bike Forums Training and Nutrition Forum.
Sorry my bad. Is there a way to do it? Admin?
Old 02-19-21, 06:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos

They literally said that this wasn't to be taken as a this vs. that:

The research has prompted enough controversy that Burr tweeted a clarification stating that they are not supporting one type of exercise over the other, which is the conclusion some readers had when the study was published.

“We were afraid that the headlines would be, ‘do this and not that,’ which is not the message we wish to convey,” he said. “All exercise is good. With this study, I’ve seen comments that we, as exercise scientists, keep changing our minds. That’s not true. This study doesn’t take away from the value of HIIT at all. It suggests that we shouldn’t choose one training style exclusively to the detriment of the other.”
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-19-21, 06:23 PM
burritos

I think HIIT=running away from predators. Cardio=chasing down hunting prey.
Old 02-19-21, 06:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
HIIT the Cardio & then go see a doctor for all the sores.

If you just do cardio, your muscle building progress will be slow or very limited. HIIT gave me better development with muscles at a faster rate.
Old 02-20-21, 10:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I have one son that does HIIT and doesn't ride, one that rides and doesn't do HIIT. As long as they are getting exercise who cares. Do we all have to do the same thing?
Old 02-20-21, 12:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Training for any sport will encompass a wide variety of exercise modes. It's not a simple subject. Whole forums have operated for years and never come to a conclusion about anything being the "way to do it." As it is said, experience starts when you begin. I tried HIIT, thought it was silly unless one is really time-pressed. I much prefer endurance combined with long intervals
Old 02-20-21, 06:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
90% LISS and 10% HITT is what I do
Old 02-20-21, 09:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I do HIIT sessions and endurance sessions separately but in the same day, just different times. HIIT in the morning, endurance in the afternoon, end of business hours.

HIIT kinda feels good. When your legs starts feeling like its vanishing and you're still trying to push. It's funny, unreal sensation!
I always thought of that as the sensation of peeing strength out of the bottoms of my shoes.
Old 02-21-21, 11:13 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
What are your goals?

I get so annoyed at these studies, and in general, the overall direction towards cyclists regarding training.

Want to just lose weight, and have lots of time for long rides, multiple times per week?
Training for criteriums, with huge ramp-ups into the red-zone, and limited time for recovery?
Training for a Brevet?
New to cycling, and have little engine or experience?
Former racer trying to get back into competition once young kids finally can ignore you with their social media accounts?
Still eating trash food but expecting to lose weight?

i think the best advise would be for most beginners....ride as much as you can, and ride in a way that is fun. Moderate diet if necessary.
Old 02-22-21, 08:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
i think the best advise would be for most beginners....ride as much as you can, and ride in a way that is fun. Moderate diet if necessary.
Are you trying to put a bunch of exercise physiologists and nutritionists out of work??
Old 02-22-21, 02:06 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Are you trying to put a bunch of exercise physiologists and nutritionists out of work??
I think there is a need for those professionals' services for athletes at a certain talent level. A CAT 3 racer with proven talent trying to take it to the next level.

However, I think a lot of beginners get burned out, ripped off (coaching and training fees) and generally lose the fun of the sport when out of the gate are on some regimented training program to "maximize" their development, but completely ignoring that this is supposed to be fun. Most beginners do not have the talent to benefit from the cost or mental exhaustion that can occur from a dedicated training program, and will end-up getting dispirited because all they do is regimented training during the week only to get spit out the back of the pack in a CAT 4 race.

I would rather coaches advise beginners to focus on riding lots, ride with fast group rides and people faster than you, and just have fun racking up miles, rather than worrying about their FTP, TSS etc....

Last edited by Het Volk; 02-22-21 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-22-21, 03:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10245 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
They literally said that this wasn't to be taken as a this vs. that:
This is what you get when Science gets filtered through the popular press - controversy where none exists. I guess many people want simple answers to simple questions, so they ask "Which kind of training is best", and don't like it when the response is, "What are you trying to achieve? Where are you now? How much time do you have?" They just want "This one. Do this, and all your dreams will come true!"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-22-21, 04:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10245 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
I think there is a need for those professionals' services for athletes at a certain talent level. A CAT 3 racer with proven talent trying to take it to the next level.

However, I think a lot of beginners get burned out, ripped off (coaching and training fees) and generally lose the fun of the sport when out of the gate are on some regimented training program to "maximize" their development, but completely ignoring that this is supposed to be fun. Most beginners do not have the talent to benefit from the cost or mental exhaustion that can occur from a dedicated training program, and will end-up getting dispirited because all they do is regimented training during the week only to get spit out the back of the pack in a CAT 4 race.

I would rather coaches advise beginners to focus on riding lots, ride with fast group rides and people faster than you, and just have fun racking up miles, rather than worrying about their FTP, TSS etc....
To be fair, I think a lot of people seek out information that doesn't really apply to their current needs, then having waded into training advice for more advanced cyclists, find themselves in a morass of apparently conflicting advice. Plus I think a lot of new riders want an instant cure for being dropped, which as we all know doesn't exist.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-22-21, 08:42 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by genejockey
To be fair, I think a lot of people seek out information that doesn't really apply to their current needs, then having waded into training advice for more advanced cyclists, find themselves in a morass of apparently conflicting advice. Plus I think a lot of new riders want an instant cure for being dropped, which as we all know doesn't exist.
Agreed,
a lot of it is over-eager beginners thinking they can CAT up to level 2 in a single summer, and unless extremely gifted physiologically, it is going to require likely more than they honestly can either time-wise, or mentally to get there. Part of the issue (IMHO), is many beginners who are not juniors, are middle aged people who, after college and a few years in an office, are looking for something to rekindle the excitement of competition, and also to get in shape.

At that point, you are likely beginning with NO base, likely limited talent, and limited time. I just wish coaches out there would be more directing these types not to regimented coaching and training, and more offer say, at most, $100 to plan out a year of just riding, routes to challenge themselves, and maybe even a few "test" rides in which they can measure their progression. But the entire point of the next few years should be not about mentally thinking about competing, but mentally trying to find as many routes and ride types to enjoy riding.
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 02-22-21, 09:59 PM
Het Volk

To be fair,

this study is basically not for really anyone interested in "training". This is more for people interested in losing a few pounds (which is fine), but the entire focus of the study is on metrics that for anyone seriously training for bike racing or triathlons, these metrics are merely outcomes from training, not the goal.
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 02-23-21, 08:35 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I do HIIT work to increase my power so I can do lower intensity days at a higher power and burn even more calories as I'm still a fatty.

I can increase my W/kg by putting out more power, losing weight, or both. Por que no los dos?
Old 03-04-21, 09:55 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Cardio for recovery and endurance, HIIT because it is trendy and sounds better than Interval training. I ride my bike till it hurts and then lift the pace 5kph and keep going till the darkness descends, which is more difficult in the summer
Old 03-07-21, 05:37 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirk de Chablis
I ride my bike till it hurts and then lift the pace 5kph
What if you're going uphill?

What if you're going downhill?