Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Gear/Gear Shifter issues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Gear/Gear Shifter issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 03:03 PM
Ruco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gear/Gear Shifter issues

On cycling up a hill yesterday, I lost all gearing on my Liv Avail Sl2 on both shifters. Shifters now very difficult to push inwards as though changing gear, smaller shifter will click but no gear change.

it would if course be very unusual for both cables to snap at the same time, does any one have possible idea of what’s happened, before I take everything apart.
Old 03-19-21, 04:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Sounds like something is binding up. Don't try shifting to the bigger sprockets or bigger front chainwheel till you figure out why. You might damage the STI and they will add a bit of money if you have to replace them.

What is this? Shimano Tiagra, 105, Ultegra?

If it's a fairly new bike, as in less than a year old, you really need to go back to the Trek dealer you bought it from. Or is Liv, Giant? I can't remember, Our Trek dealer is also the Giant dealer.

But if you want to muck around with it, then figure out what is putting tension on the shifter cables. If nothing, then maybe the STI's are already toast. No one has futzed around with any of the limit screws on the DR's have they?
Old 03-19-21, 04:36 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Chain came off. When you get 10 posts show pictures. Roger
Old 03-19-21, 08:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
one possibility is that the cable ends came out of their seats in the shifter pods. Thus the spool (which is what the cable is held by) won't properly act on the cable. In bad cases the cable end gets jammed between the spool and the shifter pod interior and the spool won't move either. We've seen this happen when a rider gets frustrated and keeps moving the shift levers back and forth with no coordination with what the chain or ders are doing. But for both to have this happen at the same time is uncommon.

I suspect some other issue is at hand. I do like the mention of the chain dropping off though Andy
Old 03-20-21, 04:27 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
gonna need some pics or a video , if you dont have bike knowledge in mechanics then this might just be an a simple fix , but i cant tell without a quick look , could u still pedl ????

what kind of bike is it ???
Old 03-20-21, 05:54 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://bicyclechain.co.uk/product/3...ans-road-bike/
Old 03-20-21, 04:53 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruco
it would if course be very unusual for both cables to snap at the same time, does any one have possible idea of what’s happened, before I take everything apart.
Don't take everything apart, but you will have to disconnect or even remove your shift cables to learn more about what happened. Or have a shop do it. Doctor can't make diagnosis without seeing the patient.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 03-20-21, 07:12 PM
justinschulz9

Bikes: diamondback century 1, cannondale synapse, giant talon, fuji absolute

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Don't take everything apart, but you will have to disconnect or even remove your shift cables to learn more about what happened. Or have a shop do it. Doctor can't make diagnosis without seeing the patient.
"i could get a nice t-bone steak by sticking my head up a bulls ass...but id rather get a butchers word for it." -Tommy boy