Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Flat-ish bike path in Cleveland?

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 07:57 AM
lydy 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I am living, temporarily, in Maple Heights, OH. On Dec. 10th, while riding downhill at Edgewater Park, I fell off my bike and broke my arm. This was obviously less than ideal. Monday was the first time I was on a bike since I broke my arm. I went to the Bedford Reservation, and it is very pretty...but first of all, it's a lot of up and down. And while I'm sure I'll get my skills and courage back over time, just at the moment, downhills are very stressful. Also, the paths are mixed-use paths, quite narrow, and I decided to stay on the street rather than using the paths, as that was less challenging riding. I get that I'm being a total wimp, here. I am an old woman, and have been riding bikes for less than a year, so I hope you will be patient with me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for protected a protected bike path that is mostly flat in the Cleveland area? As I said, I'm sure I'll be up to more challenging biking as time goes by, but I need some pleasurable successes, first. My bike is a cheap, folding e-bike, so anyplace within a reasonable drive is a candidate.

Thanks so much for any advice you might have.

lydy
Old 03-31-21, 08:04 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Test Ride a Trike sometime.
My friend has 200,000 Safe miles

Old 03-31-21, 08:05 AM
lydy 

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Wow, is that neither useful nor responsive.
Likes For lydy:
Old 03-31-21, 08:06 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by lydy
Wow, is that neither useful nor responsive.
She has Never broke an Arm.

Old 03-31-21, 08:08 AM
lydy 

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have not asked for advice on breaking or not breaking my arm. I have asked for advice on a bike path.
Likes For lydy:
Old 03-31-21, 08:16 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Never been to Ohio but I found this:
https://www.centurycycles.com/about/...ths-pg1693.htm
Old 03-31-21, 08:17 AM
lydy 

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks. I'll give that a gander.
Old 03-31-21, 03:51 PM
JDandy

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Avant Garde, 1989 Fuji Sundance, 1994 Bridgestone X0-4, 1971 WF Holdsworth Mitral

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Alexander Road Trailhead

Just south of Maple Heights is the Alexander Road Trailhead. Heading south on the trail it begins as part of the Cleveland Metroparks (the beginning of it is considered part of the Bedford Resrvation so you were very close to it) and seamlessly becomes the Summit Metro Parks Bike & Hike Trail. You can ride that for about 18 miles; just into Portage County and the Franklin Connector. There is a bit of a descent into (and a corresponding climb out of) the Brandywine Falls area but it is very gradual. Other than that there are a few short hills at some of the crossroads. It skirts along the edge of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and is a very pretty ride overall with the exception of an area of power lines that you ride through.

Last edited by JDandy; 03-31-21 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-31-21, 04:36 PM
lydy 

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Oh, thanks. That looks lovely, really helpful! Maybe this coming weekend.
Likes For lydy:
Old 04-03-21, 06:58 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Normally I'd suggest the CVNP Towpath, but this time of year the Towpath (being gravel for most of it) is still quite rutted and rough in certain areas. Not sure how comfortable it would be if you are still healing, or if you'd be willing to be bounced around a bunch.

Summit Bike And Hike is paved, so that may be a better option to consider. As said before, Alexander Road is a good place to start and ride south.

Out in Geauga County, the Maple Highlands Trail runs from Middlefield up past Chardon and is now contiguous all the way to the Lake County line. It is entirely paved, smooth, and flat from Chardon to Middlefield. Be aware of a large hill here if you choose to go north of downtown Chardon.

Last edited by a_d_a_m; 04-03-21 at 08:31 PM. Reason: post edited for clarity because I goofed up
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 04-03-21, 07:55 PM
JDandy

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Avant Garde, 1989 Fuji Sundance, 1994 Bridgestone X0-4, 1971 WF Holdsworth Mitral

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The Alexander Road Trailhead is not the Towpath (it is the beginning of what becomes the Summit Bike & Hike Trail) although I agree with all of a_d_a_m’s advice and suggestions.
Likes For JDandy:
Old 04-03-21, 08:27 PM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by JDandy
The Alexander Road Trailhead is not the Towpath (it is the beginning of what becomes the Summit Bike & Hike Trail) although I agree with all of a_d_a_m’s advice and suggestions.
Ah crap, that's my bad. I always get that and Station Road confused. You are 1000% correct about that. Thank you. I've edited my first post for clarity.

Last edited by a_d_a_m; 04-03-21 at 08:30 PM.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 05-18-21, 08:19 PM
Sertsa

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
Normally I'd suggest the CVNP Towpath, but this time of year the Towpath (being gravel for most of it) is still quite rutted and rough in certain areas. Not sure how comfortable it would be if you are still healing, or if you'd be willing to be bounced around a bunch.

Summit Bike And Hike is paved, so that may be a better option to consider. As said before, Alexander Road is a good place to start and ride south.

Out in Geauga County, the Maple Highlands Trail runs from Middlefield up past Chardon and is now contiguous all the way to the Lake County line. It is entirely paved, smooth, and flat from Chardon to Middlefield. Be aware of a large hill here if you choose to go north of downtown Chardon.

I'm late to see this, but ditto the Maple Highlands Trail. I ride it quite often, and the central and southern portions are quite smooth and flat. The central portion (just over 8 miles) is paved. South from Headwaters Park to Middlefield (3.5 miles) is chipstone. It's still quite smooth but there's an occasional hoof-hole, as Amish buggies are also allowed on this portion of the trail. North of Chardon is paved, but it does have hills, and there's a portion alongside Rt 44. There's a good amount of space and a large ditch between traffic and the path, but it's noisier there.

Good places to park are Claridon Woodlands park (at the 3.5 marker of the central trail). Mountain Run Station (just below Chardon, at the 1.5 mile marker). And Headwaters Park (just past the 8 mile marker of the central trail and bordering the southern, chipstone portion.

Below are a couple photos. The first is a little south of Chardon (and was taken in December). The second is between Headwaters Park and Middlefield.

Likes For Sertsa:
Old 05-21-21, 12:22 PM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by Sertsa
I'm late to see this, but ditto the Maple Highlands Trail. I ride it quite often...etc etc
Since you mentioned Claridon Woodlands, I wonder if we've ever crossed paths. That is my normal 'put-in' place and I usually ride to Middlefield and back for a quick ride.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 05-22-21, 01:29 PM
Sertsa

Since you mentioned Claridon Woodlands, I wonder if we've ever crossed paths. That is my normal 'put-in' place and I usually ride to Middlefield and back for a quick ride.
I'd say there's a good chance. Claridon Woodlands and Mountain Run Station are about the same distance from me, so I vary. I'll also park at Big Creek to ride the northern trail for a little climbing. If you've seen a geeky-looking middle-aged man on a big green Kona Honzo, that was likely me.

Here's a photo of it in front of the sawmill/lumberyard painted last summer.
Old 05-24-21, 06:25 AM
a_d_a_m

I'll keep an eye out. Fat guy on a green Kona Sutra; that's me.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 05-26-21, 11:52 AM
Sertsa

I'll keep an eye out. Fat guy on a green Kona Sutra; that's me.
Groovy! Green Konas for the win. (I'm looking at getting a gravel or endurance bike for Maple Highlands and other rail trails, including the GAP. I love the Honzo, but it's not the best choice for rail trails. I wore out the top cog last year).
Likes For Sertsa: