Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

trouble shifting to biggest cassette cog

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-21, 08:52 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

I have a sram rival 1 long cage rear derailleur. front is 1x. I'm having the biggest issue getting it to shift into the biggest cog. rear cassette is sram 11-42 which is what came with bike. I was putting on a larger front chainring so I replaced the chain and am certain it's correctly sized. I even started out to big and just slowly removed links. I've adjusted the limit screws. as far as I can tell the derailleur hanger is straight. I've tried undoing the cable pinch bolt and manually pushing the derailleur to get the chain up to the largest cog and that works. The only barrel adjust for rear shifting is at the rear derailleur. I removed all tension and pulled the cable tight before tightening the cable pinch bolt. I will add I feel like it was finicky before my chainring switch. This bike is 1.5 years old so I'm not sure at what point it become a bit finicky.

Is there anything else I should test? Is it likely it's some sort of shifter cable issue? I'm no expert so I'm sort of at my limits of knowing what to check
Old 04-20-21, 08:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Did you size the chain length to the old chain?

Adjusting the limits first is always wrong if the bike was shifting correctly before the chain change. Now you really need to start from square one, unless you take it to someone that has experience or will be happy fumbling and guessing.
Old 04-20-21, 08:58 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'm guessing b tension is part of your problem. You say you 'removed all tension and pulled the cable tight'...did you make sure the shifter was all the way in high gear position?
Old 04-20-21, 09:06 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Originally Posted by Iride01
Did you size the chain length to the old chain?

Adjusting the limits first is always wrong if the bike was shifting correctly before the chain change. Now you really need to start from square one, unless you take it to someone that has experience or will be happy fumbling and guessing.
no. I did not size from the old chain. and I don't feel like adjusting limit screws is rocket science.

Last edited by biketampa; 04-20-21 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-20-21, 09:07 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I'm guessing b tension is part of your problem. You say you 'removed all tension and pulled the cable tight'...did you make sure the shifter was all the way in high gear position?
yes. shifter was in high gear position. But b tension is one thing I have not checked. thanks. I will make sure to check that next.
Old 04-20-21, 11:22 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Make sure you test the limit screws before you ride it. When you do get the rd to shift in to the low gear(which you will) push the derailleur towards the spoke. Pedal it make sure it cannot go beyond the gear.
Is it at least trying to get into the gear when you shift to it. Or is it a full stop.
Lube the able ends and check the routing. As well as the b screw. Use small turns on the bolt.
Old 04-20-21, 11:55 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by blamester
Make sure you test the limit screws before you ride it. When you do get the rd to shift in to the low gear(which you will) push the derailleur towards the spoke. Pedal it make sure it cannot go beyond the gear.
Is it at least trying to get into the gear when you shift to it. Or is it a full stop.
Lube the able ends and check the routing. As well as the b screw. Use small turns on the bolt.
I’ll definitely check the b screw.

the high limit screw seems fine. I just follow a park tools video where you make it too tight so it starts pushing chain into next cog making noise then back it out. It does try to make the jump into big cog. Another thing that makes me think it might be some cable issue is I feel like for the small cogs and moving up before I get to the last two big cogs that I just do some minor barrel adjuster turns. But then I seem to need to make a bunch of turns for the last two which doesn’t seem right. Maybe it’s sticking someplace I’m not noticing. I’ll fiddle with it a little bit more and then take it to the shop for the experts if I can’t get it worked out
Old 04-20-21, 12:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
no. I did not size from the old chain. and I don't feel like adjusting limit screws is rocket science.
Well did you size the chain in any way or did you just put on the new chain without removing the extra links they give you?

I know adjusting limits isn't rocket science, but even rocket scientists have messed up every now and then.

Once DR limit screws are set initially, they are seldom the issue with shifting problems.
Old 04-20-21, 12:44 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by Iride01
Well did you size the chain in any way or did you just put on the new chain without removing the extra links they give you?

I know adjusting limits isn't rocket science, but even rocket scientists have messed up every now and then.

Once DR limit screws are set initially, they are seldom the issue with shifting problems.
i sized the chain. I actually sized it too big to start. Then removed a link to get it where I wanted. I have different wheels and when I change them I need to adjust the limit screws slightly. And for the low limit screw I unscrewed it pretty far so I could make sure I could manually push the derailleur onto the large cog. I’ve only eyeball the derailleur hanger but I only wrecked on this bike once and didn’t have shifting issues after that. I have a new hanger so I could test that theory out.
Old 04-20-21, 03:43 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
The "B" screw IS NOT a "tension screw" it is an adjustment between the jockey pully and the largest sprocket of the cluster.
Old 04-20-21, 04:21 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The "B" screw IS NOT a "tension screw" it is an adjustment between the jockey pully and the largest sprocket of the cluster.
You can trust me when I say that I know exactly what it does. No need to get worked up about it.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-20-21, 05:38 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Thanks for the input all. At this point I’ve only made things worse. Maybe the cable or housing needs to be replaced which I don’t feel like doing so I’m going to take it to the experts to sort out.
Old 04-21-21, 08:50 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Dropped it off for service at the shop and mechanic did suspect the cable is sticking someplace. So we shall see if it’s just that.