Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bike maintenance stand

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

bike maintenance stand

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 10:12 PM
yjda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike maintenance stand

I am looking to buy a bike maintenance stand, and am need of a recommendation. Please list pros/cons for brand/type. I am looking to spend $100-250. Thanks.
Old 09-07-08, 10:16 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Get one with a clamp that opens a LONG way. I went with a non Park Tools stand for $70 and it's very sturdy, very plain and has a very annoying clamp setup. Mostly because it doesn't open very far. The clamp itself is the main issue as long as the stand is decently stiff to avoid wobblies.
Old 09-07-08, 10:29 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 2,857 Posts
Be sure to get one that enables you to raise/lower the bike as desired to put it at a comfortable height to work on it. I bought a Park stand years ago that works fine, but the height is fixed, so I must either bend over, (and get a backache), or get down on my knees on a hard, dirty garage floor.
Old 09-07-08, 10:46 PM
rickowensis

Bikes: Nishiki Sport 10 spd, Trek 730 MultiTrack hybrid, 1987 Marin Muirwoods, Fuji MT-350, Fuji Sandblaster, Raleigh Sprite and several others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a Performance Spin Doctor stand for $169.00 3 years ago which has worked very well for me as I have bought and sold over 50 bikes in that time period; using said stand for all of them and many others besides.
The Ultimate Stand for about the same price at REI is also very good. Total adjustability in height, rotation and clamping ability is paramount. Both of these stands fold and accept a tool tray as well which is also quite important.
I am a bike mechanic and use a Park stand at work which is completely adjustable, very sturdy and also bolted to the floor. Good luck in your selection.
Old 09-07-08, 10:55 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Park Tool PCS-4

It's the same quick-opening clamp that probably every shop uses, adjusts for height with a quick release collar, and its legs can swing together for storage or transport.

My parents sent me a gift certificate to my LBS for my birthday (yay!), and after talking with one of the mechanics for quite a while, it came down to the PCS-4 and the PRS-20. The PRS-20, while nice and solid, takes up more floor space (my PCS-4 is actually up against a wall full-time) and I'd need to take off a wheel before using it (minor, I'll admit, but it could be a pain). The -4, IMO, is about as nice as you can get without doing the full shop setup.
Old 09-08-08, 06:54 AM
Curtiss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking for an inexpensive alternative, I highly recommend the Park PCS-9. I picked one up for $100 at Performance, and I've been very happy. The clamp actually screws down (a little more clumsy than a lever clamp), but it's very stable, well built, and allows me to work comfortably on our four bikes.
Old 09-08-08, 08:24 AM
fcormier

Bikes: 2013 Norco Indie IGH Alfine 8, 2008½ Kona Jake, 2003 Giant Iguana, 1994 Rocky Moutain Équipe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recommend the the Ultimate Sport-Mechanic. Solid, good grip, lots of possibility for positioning the bike. I've been using it for acouple of years and I am very satisfied.
Old 09-08-08, 07:18 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
+1 on enough height.

I got spoiled at the shop where I had the height extender on our workstands. I think the Park, at full extension, is too short for me. I guess one thing is I have low ceilings so I can't spin the bike around like normal, but I don't like working on upside down bikes anyway.

I prefer a stand that holds the fork or rear dropouts and rests the BB on the stand. It doesn't clamp any potentially weird spots (seat post, seat tube, top tube, etc) and it's easy to work with. I'd gladly trade my PCS-4 for the Park version of what I describe (PRS-20) - I feel that strongly about it. I currently use the PCS-4 to hold my track bike off the floor.

If you like the PCS-4 type stand, a local shop has a very compact seatpost clamp thing that you can clamp with the park "jaw". It can hold a bike with a lot less post clamped, it seems gentle on the bike, and it looks much better built than the well built Park. I can find out what it is if you're interested.

cdr
Old 09-08-08, 09:26 PM
yjda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow. good stuff. thank you for all of the replies. I'll look up the posted models and post.
Old 09-08-08, 09:30 PM
MN Bianchi

Bikes: Bianchi 928 C2C, Bianchi San Remo, Specialize Allez, Schwinn High Sierra, Cannondale Prophet 1000 Lefty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Park PCS-4.
Old 09-08-08, 10:42 PM
dharvesh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mechanics of bike

Maintanance is very eazy and the spare parts is low cost,so that we can handle the bike very smoothly.
--------------------
dharvesh
www.widecircles.com
Old 09-09-08, 09:34 AM
yjda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After doing some research on the posted products and their reviews, I think that I am going with the Park Tool PCS-4. I'd like to thank everyone that responded.
Old 09-09-08, 10:43 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sucker!...

Kidding.. It's a good stand, though; it's a lot beefier than it looks in the pics. Both that one and the PRS-20 are my top two picks.
Old 09-09-08, 10:51 AM
crydee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spin Doctor Pro G3 aint bad and with some performance sale + 20% coupon can be snagged pretty cheaply.
Old 09-09-08, 11:12 AM
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went with the Parks PCS-10, and so far have had no complaints. I thought about the PCS-4, but was concerned about the 4-point ground contact. 3-points are easier to get level on a less than perfectly flat floor.
Old 09-09-08, 11:34 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibber
I went with the Parks PCS-10, and so far have had no complaints. I thought about the PCS-4, but was concerned about the 4-point ground contact. 3-points are easier to get level on a less than perfectly flat floor.
Ah, true. What I didn't know was that the "feet" of the PCS-4 -- the black caps on the ends of the tubes -- are eccentric, so you can turn them to account for floor irregularities.

The three-legged PCS-10 (or PRS-20), though, would certainly be better on the lawn or any other place besides a flat floor.

Last edited by BarracksSi; 09-09-08 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 11:47 AM
LarryMelman

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Yesterday, Perf. had the Park PCS-4, 9 and 10 on their site.

Today, they have a 15% sale (web/phone orders over $100 only), but the Park stands are gone.

I'm really starting to dislike the games they play.
Old 09-09-08, 07:27 PM
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Ah, true. What I didn't know was that the "feet" of the PCS-4 -- the black caps on the ends of the tubes -- are eccentric, so you can turn them to account for floor irregularities.
Very cool! Makes sense that they wouldn't sell something that would be difficult to use on most floors. Thanks for the details.
Old 09-09-08, 07:56 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibber
Very cool! Makes sense that they wouldn't sell something that would be difficult to use on most floors. Thanks for the details.
Yeah -- I didn't know about it until I was putting it together. It doesn't really say anything about it on the product page (maybe that's the "new leg stabilizing system"), but it's on the instruction PDF at #2.