Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the 2009 Trek Soho

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 09:31 PM
gord

Bikes: Gary Fisher Paragon, Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you seen the 2009 Soho?
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/

It looks like the ultimate commuter bike to me:
- belt drive (no grease) with cover
- 8 speed internal geared hub
- roller brakes
- flat bars (great for high traffic commutes)
- 700c wheels with reflective puncture resistant tires
- aluminum frame (great for winter commuting)
- fenders
- a bumper on the top tube to avoid scratches on those nasty bike racks

In other words next to no maintenance, which is my ultimate goal in a commuter (as well as a comfortable fast ride). It just needs a rack, some lights and it's good to go. The price tag isn't that cheap, but for all those features it seems worth it. On the other hand I have yet to test drive it (has anyone?) and I have no experience with belt drive bikes (how long does the belt last and can you change it yourself like a chain?).

Thoughts?
Old 09-14-08, 10:31 PM
earthtoandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know the belts are supposed to last longer. I am looking at getting the Trek District myself for my new commute when I move to Seattle. I cant wait for the no maintenance smooth ride.
Old 09-14-08, 11:57 PM
Sonoma76

Bikes: 08 Seven Alaris, 07 Jamis Quest, 08 Swobo Dixon, 91 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The negatives I've heard about belt drives have all been right here in the BF.net. Among them:

- Unknowns. We've been riding bikes with chains for 100 years. They are predictable, everyone can fix them
- How do you get the belt on? Some have said they worry the frame would be weaker because it has to be separated (usually near the rear drop out) in order to put the belt drive in.

Other than that, it looks like a fine bike. Fenders? Check.Braze ons for a rear rack? Check.

The only other negative? Not to be a Trek hater, but I will never buy a bike from them again. The hybrid I bought earlier this year had, in rapid succession, a failure of the chain, a broken tooth on the rear cassette, and a pedal that disintegrated under my feet. All failures nearly resulted in accidents while riding in traffic.

Just for balance- I ride the Swobo Dixon to work. THough it has a chain and no chain guard, it is $90 cheaper than the Trek Soho.

Last edited by Sonoma76; 09-15-08 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-15-08, 04:43 AM
viplala
Eurotrash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a spot-on bike for commuting, although im sure (soon) youll be able to buy a similar other brand bike for less. I'd also like to know how much clearance there is for wider tires.
Old 09-15-08, 07:13 AM
lanman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look's great to me. The belt...only time will tell, but I'm willing to be a guinea pig. I work at a shop and I've already pre-ordered the bike, should hit in December. I'm told the belts are used in motorcycles and snowmobiles, so hopefully they got the engineering right on this one. Since it's coming in the winter I'm going to start it's beating then and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Edit: The one major drawback I can see in frame design is the bottom rack mount is attached to the removeable dropout...a potential disaster in case of a flat

Last edited by lanman; 09-15-08 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-15-08, 07:50 AM
BBnet3000

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 2.0, Dahon Speed D7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a lot of people prefer drops for a commuter

i honestly dont see why these companies dont make two versions of the same bike.

in fact, they already do, but they are both flat bars....

also, to tell you the truth id have preferred disc brakes.

theres nothing wrong with a steel frame for winter commuting either, though trek isnt really into steel frames, i just wanted to point that out.

the belt drive intrigues me. i try to avoid trek because they are the evil empire of cycling, but they make nice bikes
Old 09-15-08, 07:55 AM
dnslater

Bikes: 2011 Guru Praemio Ti (Rival), 03 Gary Fisher Franken-hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonoma76

- Unknowns. We've been riding bikes with chains for 100 years. They are predictable, everyone can fix them
- How do you get the belt on? Some have said they worry the frame would be weaker because it has to be separated (usually near the rear drop out) in order to put the belt drive in.
Belts have been in operation at much higher rpm's in cars for years without issues..... Easily last 100,000 miles with avg. rpm's of around 3,000....... 300,000,000 revolutions.......... do the math and as long as Trek has similar technology on their belts you should be fine. Consider a 200 hp car is putting out 149,000 watts and a typical biker might put out 200, which is less than 1 hp.
Old 09-15-08, 07:56 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lanman
Look's great to me. The belt...only time will tell, but I'm willing to be a guinea pig. I work at a shop and I've already pre-ordered the bike, should hit in December. I'm told the belts are used in motorcycles and snowmobiles, so hopefully they got the engineering right on this one. Since it's coming in the winter I'm going to start it's beating then and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Edit: The one major drawback I can see in frame design is the bottom rack mount is attached to the removeable dropout...a potential disaster in case of a flat
I see it as a potentially great winter bike. I know the last time belt drive bikes came up in this forum there was concern about compacted snow building up in the cogs and throwing the belt. I was around snowmobiles some when I was young and they were belt driven. I don't remember that being a problem but it could be that the belts and pulleys weren't as exposed and that made all the difference. I'm guessing it wouldn't be an issue though.

It would need clearance for 35mm studded tires and I'd prefer drops. The big drawback for me is that $1,000.00 is a bit much for a winter beater and would pay for a lot of replacement chains on my current winter bike.

Finally, I know that tension is important when it comes to belts and maybe it doesn't matter as much in this application but I wonder how much of a hassle that makes it to change tires.
Old 09-15-08, 08:49 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a decent bike for the purpose.

I'm sure they would have sold more if they could have managed disc brakes at the same price. Besides that, the only problem I have with it is the battleship gray color. Did they hire a designer from Surly or is blandness just the trend lately?

Some people seem to like these type of colors, but i hate them.
Old 09-15-08, 09:39 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Did they hire a designer from Surly or is blandness just the trend lately?

I agree. Everything seems to be satin/matte finish with little to no color contrast.

The SOHO is an interesting idea, I like "out of the box" design, but I won't be a beta tester either.

-R
Old 09-15-08, 10:13 AM
fbwill
Noob in Sooner Land!

Bikes: None but looking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Belts have been used as part of the drivetrain on motorcycles for years. The complaint in that world has been stretch but they last and no chain lubing!
Old 09-15-08, 10:49 AM
lanman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
It's a decent bike for the purpose.

I'm sure they would have sold more if they could have managed disc brakes at the same price. Besides that, the only problem I have with it is the battleship gray color. Did they hire a designer from Surly or is blandness just the trend lately?

My guess is the designers are going for a discrete color scheme that don't shout "steal me!" to potential bike thieves. The bikes are frankly pretty bland and boring, but I feel like if the main purpose is to commute and be left outside, you're last worry should be your individualism expressed through your bikes paint job!
Old 09-15-08, 07:38 PM
gord

Bikes: Gary Fisher Paragon, Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you are right about the bland colour. For a little more bling, they have the District; the single speed version of the Soho. I'm not overly crazy about it as it seems like they are trying to hard. But for whatever reason I don't mind the colour design of the Soho.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...rict/district/

Originally Posted by lanman
My guess is the designers are going for a discrete color scheme that don't shout "steal me!" to potential bike thieves. The bikes are frankly pretty bland and boring, but I feel like if the main purpose is to commute and be left outside, you're last worry should be your individualism expressed through your bikes paint job!
Old 09-15-08, 08:35 PM
Danre
Will Pedal For Food

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a nice package, even though the price is pretty much a grand. But they have the idea right. It's attractive enough to me that I want to test ride one.
Old 09-15-08, 09:34 PM
MonthOLDpickle
Relatively Newbie

Bikes: Trek 7100 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by earthtoandy
I know the belts are supposed to last longer. I am looking at getting the Trek District myself for my new commute when I move to Seattle. I cant wait for the no maintenance smooth ride.
Little OT but welcome to Seattle whenever you come =D
Old 09-17-08, 08:47 PM
jagged

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite (2011); Trek 520 (2006); Specialized Globe (2005); Lemond Zurich (2003)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With no drop bars and an 8-speed hub, I am guessing that steep hills will be a drag with that thing.
Old 10-19-08, 04:22 PM
gemini

Bikes: Trek Allant 7.2, Trek Soho S

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonoma76
The only other negative? Not to be a Trek hater, but I will never buy a bike from them again. The hybrid I bought earlier this year had, in rapid succession, a failure of the chain, a broken tooth on the rear cassette, and a pedal that disintegrated under my feet. All failures nearly resulted in accidents while riding in traffic.
+1. I have a 2008 Trek Soho S purchased in June. I it ride every day. The trips are short and the bike probably only has something like 500 km on it. In the past three days both pedals have cracked while I was riding along a busy city street. There was a loud snap each time and one side of the platform literally broke in two. The pedals are these open-platform plastic wonders that seem to me to be a little larger than usual, which probably means that the platform should be stronger than usual in order to be able to withstand the greater forces. No such luck with this plastic.

Otherwise I have quite liked my Soho S. Any recommendations on platform pedals?

Last edited by gemini; 10-19-08 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-19-08, 04:40 PM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dnslater
Belts have been in operation at much higher rpm's in cars for years without issues..... Easily last 100,000 miles with avg. rpm's of around 3,000....... 300,000,000 revolutions.......... do the math and as long as Trek has similar technology on their belts you should be fine. Consider a 200 hp car is putting out 149,000 watts and a typical biker might put out 200, which is less than 1 hp.
Yah but the belt on the car is UNDER THE HOOD not exposed to UV. ON a bike the belt/chain is exposed to the elements and the dreaded UV. Yah sure the chain guard can help cover up ~50% of the belt but that's still another 50% exposed.

Looks interesting but for me I'm not hating on it but I'd stick to chains more because if anything went sideways I can find repairs in stores or LBS's without issues or try to fix the bike outside store hours. With a belt I hope you don't have any issues outside of business hours and know where all the stores in your areas that are able to fix the belt drive.
Old 10-19-08, 05:39 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma
Yah but the belt on the car is UNDER THE HOOD not exposed to UV. ON a bike the belt/chain is exposed to the elements and the dreaded UV. Yah sure the chain guard can help cover up ~50% of the belt but that's still another 50% exposed.
And under the hood it's exposed to 200degree plus temps, road contaminants, and oil. UV's a minor part of this argument.

-R
Old 10-19-08, 08:53 PM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zero_Enigma

Looks interesting but for me I'm not hating on it but I'd stick to chains more because if anything went sideways I can find repairs in stores or LBS's without issues or try to fix the bike outside store hours. With a belt I hope you don't have any issues outside of business hours and know where all the stores in your areas that are able to fix the belt drive.
The dropout looks complicated, I'd like to know why they did not stick with a horizontal dropout found on single speeds. Anyone?

A spare belt will weigh next to nothing compared to a chain. Plus it can be folded into a tiny package you can stuff in your saddle bag minus the grease and chain link tool!

Overall it's a nice package. Wish I had room for one...lol.
Old 10-20-08, 10:23 AM
craigR

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, Trek Soho 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a 08 Soho 1.0 and I'm very pleased. Purchased it in June and have several hundred miles on it and zero issues to date. I use it for everything... short trips to friends, local watering holes, grocery shopping with Jandd rack and paniers, and rec riding.

I can't comment on the pedal problem, I changed mine out to some barefoot friendly platforms before I ever put a mile on it (lived close to the beach at the beginning of summer). I also replaced the stock stem and handlebar with a shorter RaceFace stem, RF grips, and Mary bars.

Last edited by craigR; 10-20-08 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 10:31 AM
craigR

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, Trek Soho 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverexpress
The dropout looks complicated, I'd like to know why they did not stick with a horizontal dropout found on single speeds. Anyone?

A spare belt will weigh next to nothing compared to a chain. Plus it can be folded into a tiny package you can stuff in your saddle bag minus the grease and chain link tool!

Overall it's a nice package. Wish I had room for one...lol.
I would imagine it has to do with taking out slack that comes with belt stretch...
Old 10-20-08, 11:28 AM
nowheels

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I love the coffee attachment

Old 10-20-08, 12:09 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm totally cool with the belt;13yrs of belt driven motorcycles with zero issues. I'd prefer a SRAM iMotion9 to the Shimano Alfine. Killer is the roller brakes;discs for me thanks.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 10-20-08, 02:47 PM
CollectiveInk

Bikes: Bianchi via Nirone 7 / Trek Marlin 5 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nowheels
I love the coffee attachment
^+1,000

Though I bought my coffee mug separate (I don't have the Soho) and must say it's very good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.