Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Locks and security

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Locks and security

Old 10-16-08, 06:38 AM
johnwilson09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Locks and security

Hi,

I'm looking into which security methods to use for my bike. It's bright celeste green so will probably stand out, so I want to make it as secure as possible. When away from it will only be located outside my workplace, which has 24-hour security and a well-lit area for bikes outside the entrance, which is covered by CCTV. So hopefully as long as the lock can hold out for a few minutes, it should be spotted on the CCTV (although this isn't a definite).

I bought an Abus granit D-lock (here) to secure the frame to the bike rail, possibly also looping this around the rear wheel. I'm unsure about securing the front wheel (as it's quick release) - someone from the LBS recommended using a pitlock skewer for the front axle. Would this be secure enough? The other possibility was to get a long cable lock to loop around the front wheel, frame and possibly the rear wheel.

What are your suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-16-08, 07:29 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I use a Kryptonite Evolution series 4 U-lock to lock my front wheel and frame together, and a Kryptonite New York Noose to lock the rear wheel and frame to a handrail at work. Oh, and the locks are keyed differently and I like it that way.

Sheldon Brown has an article on locking bikes up.
Old 10-16-08, 10:32 AM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use pitlock skewers for the front, rear, and saddle post. They are awesome and well worth the price I paid. There's really no way to get the wheels off without the special key. I also use a Kryptonite mini u-lock. It's nice to just lock the frame, remove my lights and go, knowing my wheels and saddle are secure.
Old 10-16-08, 11:35 AM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Also consider a medium-security U-lock to secure the front wheel and frame to a separate immovable object. With one top-notch lock and one mid-range lock to defeat, attached to two separate immovable objects, thieves should be considerably more reluctant to attack. And that leaves you the option of leaving your heavier lock at work, and carrying your mid-range lock with you when you're on a trip that requires locking up for just a few minutes. For the mid-range lock, I'd consider the Kryptonite Evolution Series 4.

More locking ideas here: https://www.mechbgon.com/lock
Old 10-16-08, 04:57 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Masterlock cable and medium strength master lock U lock. It's plently for my area, fairly low crime rate. They're keyed differently, and i'm betting your normal thief isn't going to have everything to break 2 locks, much less take the time to do so.
Old 10-16-08, 06:52 PM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I use two locks:
1) Kryptonite lock and cable to lock up the front wheel and frame to the bike rack
2) OnGuard coil lock on the back wheel and frame to the bike rack
So far, so good!

I like the idea of the wheel skewer locks. I'm going to have to look at those.
Old 10-16-08, 07:03 PM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use an old plastic-covered chain with a barrel combination lock. It's a '72 Schwinn, not in the best condition. It's why I ride it to work.
Old 10-16-08, 08:56 PM
Schlenkerb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought using u-locks was bad? I saw the video of a guy unlocking one with a pen...
Old 10-17-08, 07:04 AM
3bikes
VeloFellow

Bikes: Commuter(Specialized Globe 6,IG8), Mountain (Specialized FSR), Road (Felt F55-2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Kryptonite Evolution Mini-U-Lock to attach the frame to a parking meter, then run a 4' Kryptonite loop end cable through both front and rear wheels, putting the loops on the U-Lock.

Depending on the circumstances, I will sometimes use a Kryptonite seat cable, (Thin 2.5' loop end) looped through the seat rails then one loop down to the U-Lock as well.

The Evolution (orange rubber cover) locks don't use the round key, (famous for being opened with a Bic Pen). The new key is flat. One step up is a New York (yellow rubber cover) model, heavier and more$$.
Old 10-17-08, 08:08 AM
acline

Bikes: Marin Pioneer Trails

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a 2-lock system for parking on racks that support the frame (or sign posts if nothing else is available):

1. U-lock to lock rear wheel and frame to the rack.
2. Cable lock to lock front wheel to the frame.

I'm willing to spend the extra 60 seconds it takes to fuss with all this for the security it provides.

I don't think locking system is 100% secure.

re: unlocking U-locks with pens. Those days are over. The problem has been corrected. They switched from round keys to flat keys. So don't buy a U-lock that takes a round key.
Old 10-17-08, 08:50 AM
Pinyon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in a seriously low-crime area, and can get away with a thick cable lock for my 15 year old commuter bike. I don't trust any locks with my road bike, however. It comes inside with me wherever I ride it.

I know some people that live down in Denver, where there is much higher rates of bicycle theft, that really like using a combination of a hardened steel chain and lock (On Guard brand is popular), and a non-round keyed U-bolt lock. They leave the U-bolt on the rack at work, and carry the other lock around their necks when going to the grocery store and stuff.

At work they U-bolt the front tire and frame to the bike rack, and they use the long chain to lock both tires to the other lock AND the U-bolt. Away from work, they use the chain to lock both tires to a rack. I've heard of a nice bike being stolen with that set up too, though. If you leave an expensive bike in the same place every work day down there, they will figure out a way to get it.
Old 10-17-08, 05:08 PM
meteparozzi

Bikes: Custom True North

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people report the Pitlocks are easily compromised. Not sure if it is against site policy to link to another forum, but you can check it here.

Pitlock Easily Crushed With Bolt Cutters
Old 10-19-08, 12:25 PM
fcormier

Bikes: 2013 Norco Indie IGH Alfine 8, 2008½ Kona Jake, 2003 Giant Iguana, 1994 Rocky Moutain Équipe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing less than a U lock. I use skewers with allen screws (Axiom Slim Skewers) and never had any issue. I always lock frame and rear wheel. A thik steel cable is not going to cover it, my friend got his bike stolen a couple of weeks ago in a low crime area.
Old 10-19-08, 12:35 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by meteparozzi
Some people report the Pitlocks are easily compromised. Not sure if it is against site policy to link to another forum, but you can check it here.

Pitlock Easily Crushed With Bolt Cutters
They squashed the outer sleeve of the Pitlock. How does that help one to remove the inner coded nut to remove the wheel from a bike?

FWIW, I've been using Pitlocks for years and am very fond of them.
Old 10-20-08, 10:28 AM
johnwilson09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. From what I've read, I need at least two different security methods. I currently have an Abus (sold secure gold) D-lock, which I will probably use for frame/rear wheel/rack. I bought a pitlock for the front wheel, but I'm slightly put off by some people's worries over their worth, and also the fact that a stupid thief may do a lot of damage to the front wheel in an attempt to get around it.

I have the option of returning the pitlock, and am now leaning towards scrapping it and buying a sold secure bronze or silver-rated chain lock for the front wheel/frame/rack (if possible). It seems the appearance of two large, different locks will be more off-putting than a D-lock alone.

I also need to consider the seat post and saddle - do I need to buy a cable for this, would a pitlock be worth it or could I even just take it with me?

Thanks again for the advice guys