Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ice bike, anyone ever see one?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 08:30 AM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I've built ice bikes in the past, sure riding in the winter is fun, but on a skating rink? even more fun, It was easy to make, the beta model anyway, get a way low end mountain bike with steel wheels, sharpen front wheel, be sure to cage it so if you hit anyone for any reason it's safe, the back you could stud if you want of cut the rim in a few places so it grabs the ice, it may wreak the bike but it's pretty fun while it lasts. lol
Old 10-29-08, 05:02 PM
Intheloonybin

Bikes: 1987 Denti w dura ace (road)/ "cheap" Jamis (mtn)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well...

I run Nokian studded tires (commuting), and have ridden around on a skating rink for fun.

They last a long time too (even on pavement). May not be as cheap as you option though.
Old 10-29-08, 07:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by HSean
I've built ice bikes in the past, sure riding in the winter is fun, but on a skating rink? even more fun, It was easy to make, the beta model anyway, get a way low end mountain bike with steel wheels, sharpen front wheel, be sure to cage it so if you hit anyone for any reason it's safe, the back you could stud if you want of cut the rim in a few places so it grabs the ice, it may wreak the bike but it's pretty fun while it lasts. lol
Why wouldn't you just use studded tires?

Here's a site for other ice biking fun:
https://www.icebike.org/
Old 10-29-08, 08:50 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Studded tires are nice but not as fun, it's like a bike on skates,
Old 10-29-08, 10:09 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I remember years ago, seeing on TV some motorcycle ice racing. It was on a fairly small course, smooth like a skating rink, and seems like they had big spikes about an inch long sticking out of the tires. They could lean over farther on the ice than on pavement, I think. Looked cool, but I haven't seen it since. I seem to remember it was European.
Old 11-03-08, 01:40 PM
fcormier

Bikes: 2013 Norco Indie IGH Alfine 8, 2008½ Kona Jake, 2003 Giant Iguana, 1994 Rocky Moutain Équipe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ice bike race in Montréal in 2008: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fcormie...7603844117260/