Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Messenger bag comparison

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Messenger bag comparison

Old 11-07-08, 07:04 PM
spaceballs

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, All City Macho Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Messenger bag comparison

I have been commuting to school for about four months now, so I am by no means an expert.

I started by throwing a bag in a milk crate, but I got tired of that quickly. It was unwieldy, and the heavier the cargo, the harder it was to keep the bike straight.

So I started carrying just a messenger bag. I carried a Timbuk2 large bag; I had this one before I started riding, so that should tell you something. It worked pretty well, if everything was cinched down very tightly. Even if things were tight, the bad would still slide around; if the bag had much in it at all, it became uncomfortable. Not because of the weight, but because of how the bag is shaped. The bag is well made, and is well organized - lots of pockets for pens, pencils, tools, etc. It made a great school/work bag.

I read Seagull was well regarded here, so I ordered their Black Bag. It was reasonably priced [$100 or so] and as far as a bag made for riding with, this is far superior. The bag doesn't move, and it is easy to adjust. I don't have to feel choked for the bag to ride well. Unfortunately, the pockets and organization on this bag aren't as convenient as the Timbuk2. This bag is beefier than than the Timbuk2, and for less money.

Part of me is confused as to whether or not to go with the convenient school bag, which works well a lot of the time, or to go with the superior real messenger bag. I am sure I am not the first to run into this dilemma. Any thoughts?

I know that panniers are probably the best option for carrying a lot of weight, but they aren't as convenient.
Old 11-07-08, 07:40 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been using a messenger bag for commuting and non-bicycling traveling since 2005.

I need no panniers.
Old 11-07-08, 07:50 PM
Red Horn

Bikes: 2010 SixThreeZero SRAM T3 SixThreeZero 08 Mammoth & 2010 T3, Old Specialized M2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These look to be high quality;

https://www.crumplerbags.com/flash/f...h/default.html

https://www.sfbags.com/

https://www.chromebags.com/products/bags/messenger/
Old 11-07-08, 07:51 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seagull black bag is a "superior real" messenger bag from what I've read about it. But it does seem to be lacking in pockets from the pics i've seen (2 pockets plus the large cargo space?).

I own a Bailey Works Super Pro myself. It's got the large cargo space, two front pockets (one with pen holders), outer side "bottle" sized pocket. Two inner corner pockets, an inner center pocket and one zipper pocket.

I love my bag. I use it most of the time even when i'm not on my bike. Photography is one of my hobbies and my lenses fit in those corner pockets just right, so I use it for that too since it's much easier to swing around than a photo backpack. The huge reflective strip on the back helps me feel a little more safe in traffic at night too.
Old 11-07-08, 07:57 PM
Red Horn

Bikes: 2010 SixThreeZero SRAM T3 SixThreeZero 08 Mammoth & 2010 T3, Old Specialized M2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does seem to be lacking in pockets
Even with my packs and bags that are well endowed with pockets I still use one or two of these in various sizes; https://www.rei.com/product/641975. They give an additional level of shock and moisture protection to my gear. They also make locating small items a snap.
Old 11-07-08, 08:20 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
timbuktu ftw
Old 11-07-08, 08:31 PM
benhenley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Horn
Even with my packs and bags that are well endowed with pockets I still use one or two of these in various sizes; https://www.rei.com/product/641975. They give an additional level of shock and moisture protection to my gear. They also make locating small items a snap.
I would go with the more comfortable bag and then get one or two of those type of bags for smaller items. If you can get two different colors then you can use one color for pens/pencils and then the other color for tools and other small things. That would making finding things extremely easy as well (assuming that you can remember what color is for what objects!).
Old 11-07-08, 08:36 PM
4SEVEN3

Bikes: Trek 4300 converted into SS, Mongoose Cannan Elite, GT Pro Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a timbuktu and it has held up really well, including using it for commuting on my motorcycle at 85mph on the freeway, and travelling.

I saw my first Chrome bag in person today and was extremely impressed. It seems to be much more "robust" and I really liked the waterproof compartment. Might be my next purchase.
Old 11-07-08, 11:09 PM
ryfeender
Skeptical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhop
Seagull black bag is a "superior real" messenger bag from what I've read about it. But it does seem to be lacking in pockets from the pics i've seen (2 pockets plus the large cargo space?).

I own a Bailey Works Super Pro myself. It's got the large cargo space, two front pockets (one with pen holders), outer side "bottle" sized pocket. Two inner corner pockets, an inner center pocket and one zipper pocket.

I love my bag. I use it most of the time even when i'm not on my bike. Photography is one of my hobbies and my lenses fit in those corner pockets just right, so I use it for that too since it's much easier to swing around than a photo backpack. The huge reflective strip on the back helps me feel a little more safe in traffic at night too.
+1 on the bailey works. I just got mine in the mail 2 weeks ago and I LOVE IT. It stays put, has tons of room, and is really comfortable. I took my panniers off my bike unless I head to the grocery store for lots of groceries. I had a timbuk2 and I hated it immensely when I was using it for commuting. Damn thing wouldn't stay put. Bailey works shipped incredibly fast and the bag is super waterproof and sturdy. Go for it!
Old 11-07-08, 11:38 PM
spaceballs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the heads up.

The timbuk2 looks like it would do well in the rain, but the corners [where the flap folds down] look like it would leave a small gap. Seagull has added some extra material so that this won't happen.

I think there is a lot of Timbuk2 hate out there that isn't entirely deserved. These are great bags: well built, handy, easy to get on and off, but for a bag to wear while riding, I just think there are better options out there. I am going to keep mine, as it is in great shape.

The Seagull looks a little silly [same as Chrome - only my opinion] with the big shiny buckle. But the buckle works and adjustment on the seagull is far simpler and more effective than the timbuk2.
Old 11-08-08, 09:02 AM
Red Horn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot about these guys; https://www.overlandequipment.com/
Old 11-08-08, 10:55 AM
robi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try these bags from a small business in Hungary

bagaboo.hu

he makes some damn good bags, won some awards at international bike messanger comps adn stuff.

robi
Old 11-08-08, 11:23 AM
littlefoot

Bikes: Many all steel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Owned a Bailey I got at a yardsale for ten bucks great bag, got ripped off. Owned a bag made for Eastern Mountain Sports that was a great bag as well no idea if they still sell them or not. I got a real turd of a bag from REI I'm using atm, but until it dies I can't bring myself to replace it. You might look at manhattan portage bags nice low key design and pretty reasonable price.
Old 11-10-08, 01:50 PM
spaceballs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed something else about the seagull - it seems to block some of my vision when I look over my left shoulder.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or any solutions to it besides a mirror?
Old 11-10-08, 02:12 PM
juggleaddict

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't think there's a need to buy any more bags, you have 2 already!

i have the X-L timbuk 2 bag, and it works fine for me, there are two small things you can do to increase the comfort 10 fold on these bags,

1.) on the top and bottom of the bag where the strap connects to the bag is not smooth, wrap a shirt around one or both of them, though the top one is the only one that gives me a little shoulder ache when i have a lot of weight in it.

. . . if you're crafty, sew padding for it

2.) grab an old hoodie, and put it on the back side of the bag, this is padding for your back if you have awkward shaped items, i carry 8 juggling clubs and a large bag of juggling balls in my bag, and it works fine with the extra padding.

the search for the perfect bag is never ending, and costly, just be happy with whatcha got : )

besides, i find the timbuk 2 very comfy as long as you pack it right, and have that hoodie on hand : )
Old 11-10-08, 04:34 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I have an Alchemy goods Urban bag. Same price as chrome or Timbuk2 but for those of you who cycle for environmental reasons, you cant beat 76% recycled product on a tough as nails bag.
Yeah, made from bike innertubes, I'm a nerd.
Old 11-10-08, 04:39 PM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a small Timbuk2 Messenger bag that i use for my rain bag and camera bag. I've carried it in downpours, and nothing gets wet.
But Chrome bags are more robust and functional, i admit. I'd have one, except my Timbuk2 only cost me $30. I use an Ogio Backpack day to day, though, and it really gets the job done.
Old 11-10-08, 04:46 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Then there's:

Old 11-10-08, 05:41 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SOmebody in the SS/FG forum wrote up or linked to a nice comparison of all the major mess bag makers. Seagull, Chrome, Baileyworks, PAC Designs, etc. Lots of the folks in there are actual messengers [or highly proficient posers], so you might want to check it out.
Old 11-10-08, 10:06 PM
tdot-miele

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check out "push the envelope" a "real" work bag, that pretty much dominates the canadian messenger market.... best bag i've ridden with
Old 11-10-08, 10:31 PM
anthegreat1
Custom User Title

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a chrome bag and love it. good quality, good size, water proof, handy buckle, easy to adjust, padded . . . . . i'd recommend it.
Old 11-11-08, 12:05 AM
spaceballs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems Chrome might have some of the same problems. Has anyone else had trouble with over the left shoulder visibility with messenger bags?
Old 11-11-08, 04:44 AM
Obstinate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm left handed, so no issues here!
Old 11-11-08, 08:52 AM
Ned_Detroit

Bikes: 25 year old Specialized Allez with Mavic SSC groupe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chrome bags are available in a right shoulder version primarily for us correctly (left) handed folks but that should take care of the looking over the left shoulder problem. I haven't seen any in their local dealers though, I'm considering ordering one when I actually have money. My Timbukt2 make a great briefcase and a pretty good camera bag but is rather a mediocre bike bag.
Old 11-11-08, 09:46 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Chrome is pretty good -- I've got the Metropolis.

It's one-side-only for riding, so you won't be able to change shoulders if yours get tired. But, it fits very well on that shoulder, what with the form-fitting pad and all. The strap adjusts with one hand, both the part going into the main buckle and the excess that wraps into a separate buckle. The underarm strap keeps the bag from sliding down to your hip (which I wanted to tell one rider about, but I was stuck in my car and could only watch as he clumsily kept rearranging it.. lol).

There's one big cargo area, two narrow vertical pockets (each about the size of a 24 oz water bottle), one open flat pocket, one zippered pocket, slots for pens, pencils, and cards, and a secret stash pocket (you'll have to find it yourself ). The waterproof liner seems invincible, and the way the top folds over doesn't appear to allow water to sneak in, either.

There's no padding, though, so it helps to add something soft if you're going to be carrying rigid, pointy objects. And, like spaceballs was asking about, it can restrict your view over your shoulder, even with a helmet mirror, if it's loaded up really full.

Its main drawback, I think, is the fact that it only rides well on one shoulder. On the bike, that's really not a problem for me, but standing up, more weight is carried by the shoulder than my back. If you're standing around a lot, like using it as carry-on luggage at the airport, you can switch shoulders, but it's not quite as comfortable on the opposite shoulder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.