Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tires with grit ????

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Tires with grit ????

Old 01-25-16, 02:40 PM
jawnn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
too bad you can't see how these tires are made.....I will have to cut the tire in half so you can see the cross section of foam.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
The wear just screams skid patch. Down past the threads in that area, but it looks like at least half of tread depth remains to the left.

Those alphabite clones wear fast but usually wear somewhat evenly all the way around

Last edited by jawnn; 01-29-16 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 03:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
The Kenda Kiniption 20x2.1 is rated at 120 psi.
Like all tires it will eventually wear out.
Kenda Kiniption BMX 20 x 2 10 Tires Pair 120 PSI | eBay
Old 01-25-16, 04:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Like I said Suomi (Finland) Nokian Technical information | Suomi Tyres

they are featuring the studded ones now, but many are made in a Non studded version too.
as I said Hard compound for a Long wear ..

I rode a set of A10 tires on a 3 season Bike tour (SW Ireland to NE Scotland) and they still looked like New, when I finished .
Old 01-29-16, 12:03 PM
praivo

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Don't feed the troll, guys...
Old 01-29-16, 02:44 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by praivo
Don't feed the troll, guys...
I assume you are referring to your self.....
Old 01-29-16, 02:49 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok I will have to examine these up close before I spend any more money. I think that all BMX tire are made the same, very little rubber.....
Old 01-29-16, 02:55 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like what I need. IF THEY MADE THEM IS THE SIZE I NEED.

I rode a set of A10 tires on a 3 season Bike tour (SW Ireland to NE Scotland) and they still looked like New, when I finished .
Old 01-29-16, 03:01 PM
CliffordK

One problem you will run into is that most motorcycle and car tires are measured by the rim size.
Bike tires are measured by the approximate tread diameter.

So, a 20" car tire will be MUCH BIGGER than a 20" bicycle tire.

I'm not sure about mopeds. It is worth looking. My Schwinn 16x3" tires use a 12" rim, and will fit Moped tires which are an excellent upgrade, especially considering the Schwinn tires are getting hard to source.

Assuming you're using a 406mm rim, it should fit a 16" Moped tire, as well as moped tubes.

Shinko Moped SR714 - Amazon
Shinko Moped SR714 Front/Rear Tire - LeatherUp.com

I can't guarantee anything, but it might be worth trying out.

A year of heavy cargo use out of a tire doesn't sound bad. You'll have to weigh the differences of a lighter weight tire like the Kenda Kiniption above vs the heavier Moped tire.

Last edited by CliffordK; 01-29-16 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-29-16, 03:48 PM
praivo

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I'm referring to you. You clearly don't know what you're talking about (see below), yet you ignore any advice given to you (most of which is very good) and just insist that "people are in denial" and "industry is killing cargo bikes".

1. NO tire is made to be used after the tread wears out, and most people replace their tires well before that happens.
2. Replacing tires every year - this is absolutely irrelevant if you don't post the distance ridden in that year, the surface you ride on, and the tires you're using. Soft, sticky MTB tires sometimes last only a few hundred km of offroad riding (and some don't even make it past 100, there's a guy who destroyed a pair of tires in ONE ride), thick, hard touring tires like the Schwalbe Marathons can last as much as 15k km, maybe even more. I changed a rear 27.5×2" Kenda Kadre/Komodo after about 2500 km (it could have survived a few hundred more, but I got a new pair for a good price). My other bike with Specialized Fast Traks only got a flat when they were so worn out that there was barely and tread left, which was after about 4000 km.
3. The max. load of 20×2.15" Big Apples is 95 kg (209 lbs) at 55 psi, 24" ones can hold 100 kg at 70 psi. See more at Big Apple HS 430 | Schwalbe North America Also, the maximum allowed pressure doesn't say very much about the durability of the tire. I've run the abovementioned Kadres at 18/23 psi front/rear (65 kg rider, 13 kg bike), NEVER got a flat unless I pinched the tube on a sharp edge (only happened once).
4. BMX bikes are made for stunt riding, which involves a lot of jumping/hopping. On the landing, the tires need to support many times the (static) weight of the rider so they can't be made out of cr*p. There are also tires for trials. They might not last very long (in terms of normal wear), though, because they're made for high performance, not longevity. Nobody rides a BMX bike for thousands of miles per year on one pair of tires...
5. I'm quite sure that even a 31 mm wide bicycle rim is too narrow for any moped tire. The rims they use aren't much narrower than the tire itself, maybe 45-50 mm (just look at the tire).
6. A recumbent fork would probably not be durable enough for you, and I don't think it's going to be easy to get a disc-compatible threaded trials fork.
Old 01-29-16, 03:52 PM
oaxaca

Bikes: 2008 Specialized crosstrail

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jawnn
4 ply rubber but at 35psi? I need at least 65 psi.

Not sure what width you've been using, but have you considered that if you increase the width, you need less pressure? If you double the surface area of the tire 35 psi will you the same amount of support for your heavy load as 70 psi would in the smaller tire. Not to mention you'd get a lot slower wear just because there is more rubber to go through... I feel like finding the widest possible tires should be step number one, then looking at hardness and thickness.

Maybe you already know all this, I just noticed that you ruled out a couple tires due to pressure. Not sure if width/overall surface area were accounted for or not. Thought I'd chime in for the hell of it.
Old 01-29-16, 04:06 PM
oaxaca

Bikes: 2008 Specialized crosstrail

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, yeah. To agree with above post you need to consider every aspect of design for every tire. Tires are all engineered for very different purposes. above all, you want a tire engineered for longevity AND carrying capacity. You might find a tire with super hard, thick tread and 120 psi max psi, but if it wasn't made to carry weight you'll just blow out the sidewall... Sounds like moped tires all the way if you can fit them. I didn't read every comment though so maybe I'm just spouting at this point, but... yeah. moped tires are designed for weight. Bicycle tires, not.

Also, do you have any pictures? We're all curious. hahh
Old 01-29-16, 04:26 PM
Pukeskywalker

Bikes: '93 Cannondale T-1000, '03 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwalbe Marathon PLUS tires are supposed to be some of the toughest, most durable tires around. Touring bikers love them, and some of them ride 80+ miles a day
Old 01-29-16, 04:52 PM
CliffordK

Just try the 16x2.25 Moped tire above. No guarantees, but they might work if they fit the frame.

If you're wanting to make a custom wheel, maybe try the Sun Big ******.
Sun Big ****** 20" 36h All Black rim, Schrader valve, 32.5mm width

Of course, that may be a lot of work for increasing tire life. But, if it also saves you a few flats and headaches, it might be worth it.

I think I mentioned earlier the Tannus line.

Tannus Thoroki
20x1.5 (40-406). $55.
https://squareup.com/market/metro-gn...ead=item_embed

Looks like this one has soft and hard options: I'd probably go with hard for your cargo use. Plus, only $29.
https://squareup.com/market/metro-gn...ead=item_embed

The Tannus tires should last you quite some time, depending on how far you wish to grind them down, and no flats.

I'm still a few days out on testing my 700c solid tires
Old 01-30-16, 04:21 AM
praivo

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pukeskywalker
Schwalbe Marathon PLUS tires are supposed to be some of the toughest, most durable tires around. Touring bikers love them, and some of them ride 80+ miles a day
+1. And there's a 20" version. But OP will probably say that 1.75" is not enough (even though they're rated for 80 kg at 70 psi).
Old 01-30-16, 03:18 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it looks like I will have to get a Maxxis Hook worm. the bike shop I tryed to order one from, scrambled my order.
Old 01-30-16, 03:19 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pukeskywalker
I used to use them, but wanted a wider tire....may have to go back to them.
Old 01-30-16, 03:32 PM
CliffordK

it looks like I will have to get a Maxxis Hook worm. the bike shop I tryed to order one from, scrambled my order.
If it has to be ordered, it is often easier to just order the parts yourself.

Did you post photos of 3 different tires? Hopefully you're not riding any of them.
Old 01-30-16, 05:25 PM
praivo

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
The Hookworm is a soft, performance tire. It won't last long, especially with a heavy load.
Old 02-01-16, 12:20 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Suami tires, but I will have to request that they make heavy duty 20”x 2.25” cycle truck tires. Even if they need to call them Moped tires.

I did find a Moped tire I like; the Pirelli-ML75 2.5”/16” rim and approximately 22-inch diameter. But I can't help wonder what the rolling resistance is, not that I really care, I have bionic legs.

How ever I will need to find an easy way to build a fork that will hold it. But it's worth a try.

those Big ****** rims look ok but I used to use Sun rim's BFR until they stopped making them. then I was thinking of using steel rims with disc brakes.

Old 02-01-16, 12:25 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you really expect me to believe any thing you say?
That is the wrong way to begin a lecture if yo want some one to read it. When you look at me, you are looking at a reflection of your self. Don't bother to deny it, there is noting you can say to control me. I have been reflecting peoples inner self for many years.

Originally Posted by praivo
I'm referring to you. You clearly don't know what you're talking about (see below), yet you ignore any advice given to you (most of which is very good) and just insist that "people are in denial" and "industry is killing cargo bikes".
Old 02-01-16, 01:09 PM
praivo

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Now you did exactly what I expected you to do. Your reply makes no sense, and together with the lack of any response to the rest of my comment this IMO makes it quite clear that you simply aren't going to follow *any* advice given here and just keep saying the "people in denial" bulls**t.

Anyway, you said you'd cut a tire and show but didn't, so I did - this is one of the cheapest tires available, Camel CB-506, that was taken off due to age (cracks in sidewalls) after probably <200 km of riding. Again, this is about as low-cost as tires get.

Edit:
Schwalbe Marathon Plus: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_E0oZ7ZPKK6...onPlus-Cut.JPG
Racing Ralph (lightweight XC racing tire): https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_E0oZ7ZPKK6.../Ralph-Cut.JPG

You simply get what you choose and pay for, that's all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg

Last edited by praivo; 02-01-16 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 03:07 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is another person to discover how to make tires last far beyond their expected life span

Homeless in Vancouver: My amazing Duro Fantasy tires finally wear out! | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly
Old 02-01-16, 05:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
An interesting self-observation in that blogger's "about" bio page:
"...it is a thread running through my life that I’m hard to help."

I've noticed this characteristic among several of my neighbors living in subsidized housing. It's a complex issue. The very tenacity that enables some folks to persevere against obstacles to retain some independence may lead them to reject assistance, even when they ask.

However, that writer is unusually perceptive regarding his own personality quirks. Most folks have a blind spot in that regard.

Excellent blog and articles, thanks for the link. I've passed it along via Facebook as well.

here is another person to discover how to make tires last far beyond their expected life span

Homeless in Vancouver: My amazing Duro Fantasy tires finally wear out! | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

Last edited by canklecat; 02-01-16 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 05:49 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Yep moped stuff should do what you need.

And sintered is the word I think. At least for brake pads it is.
Old 02-06-16, 12:42 PM
jawnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok this photo shows what started the bumps, the casing was cut from the out side by a puncture that would have left any one else with a flat tire and a hopelessly chewed up tube.

I am going to start gluing tire treads on the road side of the high pressure tires I use. The 2.25” moped tire at 35 psi can't do as well as three tire treads per wheel.

Obviously that is too much weight for most people, so I can expect the tire industry to ignore what I want. Or even send in a professional agitator to repudiate my tire odyssey.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.