Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Oddball Shifter/Brake Configurations

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Oddball Shifter/Brake Configurations

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 12:54 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
This has nothing unusual about the shifters, but here is a bike with a quirky brake setup. It might be hard to notice, so see if you can figure it out. The picture is from about 1982. The bike is a 70s Atala Competizione, repainted by Cyclart and built up by me.

Looks to me as if the brakes are set up English/motorcycle style with the front brake lever on the right and the rear brake lever on the left. Correct guess?

Cheers
Old 11-03-19, 01:17 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,797 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Do you ride that bike with the quick-release on the brake lever engaged like in your photo?

Cheers
Yeah, lever's in a better position to my hand that way, and with MAFAC centerpulls I could still disconnect the cable to open the brake pads up.
Old 11-03-19, 01:19 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Yeah, lever's closer to my hand that way, and with MAFAC centerpulls I could still disconnect the cable to open the brake pads up.
Ah, I thought that the protruding pin was a quick-release button. I guess the fit of the hood really made it look like it.

Cheers
Old 11-04-19, 04:02 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Not exactly “oddball,” but perhaps the rear caliper mounting & barend cable routing are outside of convention?

Last edited by deux jambes; 11-04-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 06:13 PM
Mr_Asifi 

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot PSV10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Likes For Mr_Asifi:
Old 11-05-19, 07:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Looks to me as if the brakes are set up English/motorcycle style with the front brake lever on the right and the rear brake lever on the left. Correct guess?

Cheers
No. I have one left-handed caliper and one right-handed caliper on the bike. It was a bit of a parts-bin build, though I built the wheels from scratch. I don't remember what hubs I used, though. I sold that bike a very long time ago.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-21-19, 01:35 PM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
I forgot about this setup I had on my "not-so-classic/vintage" Nashbar 29er. Salsa Cowchipper bar with the Sunrace SLM10 friction shifters mounted just below and inside the Tektro brake levers. The big plastic shifter ends have been removed to make the thumb shifters fit better. This 3x8 speed setup worked alright but I ended up selling the bike. The shifters did interfere a little bit with my grip at the hoods, so not really the best configuration.

Last edited by steelrider58; 03-02-24 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-21-19, 03:10 PM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts

slm-10's

Not the best picture and offered up with some trepidation. This was my attempt at a Gevenalle "clone". The slm-10 shifters were swapped left and right. I had to do that to facilitate secure mounting and better cable direction. So the shifter on the right bar is sold as a left shifter but still controls the RD. Rear up shifts are easy. Rear down shifts require more force and I am unable to do it in some lever positions with thumb and index finger. I have to move my hand forward to grasp the shifter lever with more of my hand. It's the opposite on the left bar with down shifts being easy. I admit an irrational love for the slm-10's: cheap, simple, reliable. The next build I'll move a pair to a position similar to command shifters but a little further down and see how that works. This works well enough for me that I'm not changing it.
Old 11-21-19, 05:50 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
I put a pair of downtube or stem mount shifters onto modified Suicide Brake lever protrusions where the Suicide Brake lever used to go.

Cheers
That is a great idea.
Old 11-21-19, 06:44 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Asifi

It always amazes me the many ways people have figured out to add brakes to keirin/track bikes without drilling the fork or messing with the rear "brake" bridge.
Old 05-27-20, 09:13 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Old 05-27-20, 08:36 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
I put a lot of mile on this set; sorry for the poor photo but you get the idea; Suntour bar-ends on cutoff drop-bars, Mafac levers, stem was drilled & tapped for centrepull adjuster.

Old 05-28-20, 08:07 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
No pix, but in the shop days we built the owner's bike with upright bars and touring brake levers to have one thumbie and one barcon on the right side to accommodate his strong hand. The weaker left he used only for braking.

And a buddy's build predated Command Shifters when he decided needed something level with the brake levers and rigged some old stem/downtube levers to function in that location.

I've often thought SunTour alloy thumbies were clumsy in the top-mount location and should probably try them inverted under the bar.