Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Floor pump - best value?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Floor pump - best value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-20, 01:33 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I’m quite happy with several Silca floor pumps (the cheaper model), but have ended up using Topeak replacement hoses/heads on them.

I also have a new Blackburn that has more inflation capacity - handy when I need to top up a car tire! What’s impressive about that brand is that they truly stand behind their Lifetime Warranty. The Blackburn pump that was over 15 years old, so it came from a time when Blackburn was under different ownership, had failed in an unrepairable way. I wrote Blackburn and there was no problem sending me a replacement of comparable (middle of the range) quality, free of charge and shipping!
Old 02-17-20, 02:23 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
I've lusted over the Lezyne pumps for a while, didn't realize they were this low in price. Thanks for the heads up, I just purchased one.

My Park PFP-8 floor pump doesn't seem to be a popular one, but it has served me well enough for a long time. This version looks different than mine, the gauge is in a different location.

I was looking at Park stuff- because in my head 'all Park stuff is good,' until I read reviews of the Park pumps.

When I look now, it seems like this pump is now getting good reviews- but the stuff I was seeing was more along the lines of : https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ark-tool-pfp-8

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-17-20, 02:27 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Tried out the Lezyne today. Took me awhile to realize the chuck (machined aluminum) screws onto the valve stem! No leaks, and I must say it's secure! Seems like a nice pump. Thanks for recommending.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio:
Old 02-18-20, 09:19 PM
JT1973

Bikes: 1973 Jack Taylor ToB, 1974 or '75 LeJeune Champ du Monde (possibly from the Carre Shop), 1971 Motobecane Le Champion, 1980s Rodriguez frame (future 650b conversion project)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
much obliged! Yes, it’s the same model as your Blackburn. Thank you,
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I will look at what I have but basically there is a plastic collar at the top of the pump that gets unscrewed with a little bolt and then you can take out the pump plunger (what the handle is attached too and the plunger will have two o-rings around the lip of it. My guess is that is okay and you may just need to lube the inner diameter of the pump shaft so it can reseal. Any light oil should do the trick. I won't have time for a couple of days, but reply back here and when I get back to the house I'll disassemble and take pics. Is your pump similar to mine?
Old 02-19-20, 08:03 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I was looking at Park stuff- because in my head 'all Park stuff is good,' until I read reviews of the Park pumps.

When I look now, it seems like this pump is now getting good reviews- but the stuff I was seeing was more along the lines of : https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ark-tool-pfp-8
I also bought my park tool pump because in my mind, Park only made good things. I’ve used my pump exclusively for about 12 years and have never regretted it. I’d say it’s proven to be a good pump.

That said, the pump head can blow off occasionally and I’ve occasionally had trouble getting it to seal onto schraeder valves.

Turns out I have a PFP-3

"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Likes For mkeller234:
Old 02-19-20, 10:12 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I have a made-in Italy Silca pump bought in the mid-1970s. About a month ago I hade to spend $7 to replace a rubber part This was the only repair needed so far. I'd call this pump a good value. One reason is that Silca sells parts for 40-year-old pumps so they are repairable nearly forever. THis pump goes up to 220 PSI although I never put more than 100 psi in my tires. So I never really stress the pump.
Old 02-26-20, 05:31 PM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Bontrager Floor Pump

I tried to post a photo of the floor pump that I use and I got some asinine message telling me that I haven't been on this site long enough to post photos which I find sad and funny considering that that I have been on this site sine before most of the people running this site were an itch in their daddy's pants but it is what it is. I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out what the people who run this site are doing.

With that said my current pump and one of the pumps I like the most is a Bontrager HP Turbo Charger floor pump. Steel construction, sturdy, wide metal base, 4 foot hose, smart head, large high mounted guage, the whole package and the best news is I got this $70 pump for $12 at one of my local Thrift Stores. i wasn't looking for a pump since I had a clone of a Lezyne pump that was doing a good job but I pulled the Bontrager up on my phone and the reviews were great and the price was what sealed the deal. I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough. I've had my pump for about 2 years and use it on my bicycle, car, and motorcycle (Suzuki GSXR 1100) and it is still going strong. maybe one day if this site is ever working right I'll post a photo. Cheers everyone :-)
Old 02-26-20, 08:48 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok
I tried to post a photo of the floor pump that I use and I got some asinine message telling me that I haven't been on this site long enough to post photos which I find sad and funny considering that that I have been on this site sine before most of the people running this site were an itch in their daddy's pants but it is what it is. I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out what the people who run this site are doing.
It probably meant you don't yet have the minimum 10 posts to add links and images. At the rate you're going, you may have to bump this thread in 5 years with a photo of your pump.
Old 02-27-20, 02:52 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAlbertson
I have a made-in Italy Silca pump bought in the mid-1970s. About a month ago I hade to spend $7 to replace a rubber part This was the only repair needed so far. I'd call this pump a good value. One reason is that Silca sells parts for 40-year-old pumps so they are repairable nearly forever. THis pump goes up to 220 PSI although I never put more than 100 psi in my tires. So I never really stress the pump.
Yeah, me too. I've picked up a couple others too over the years at yard sales and swap meets, never more than $10-15. I buy the canister sort of pumps at the swap meets for $2-3 just for the hoses when I need one. I do have one of the canisters that I use for the 26" fat tires - a Schwinn that I got sometime in the early '80s and still just fine.
Old 02-28-20, 03:51 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
maybe one day if this site is ever working right I'll post a photo.
Site is working fine. You need to have made 10 posts before you can post pictures or links. It is an anti spam situation.
Old 03-01-20, 06:57 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts

With that said my current pump and one of the pumps I like the most is a Bontrager HP Turbo Charger floor pump. Steel construction, sturdy, wide metal base, 4 foot hose, smart head, large high mounted guage, the whole package and the best news is I got this $70 pump for $12 at one of my local Thrift Stores. i wasn't looking for a pump since I had a clone of a Lezyne pump that was doing a good job but I pulled the Bontrager up on my phone and the reviews were great and the price was what sealed the deal. I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough. I've had my pump for about 2 years and use it on my bicycle, car, and motorcycle (Suzuki GSXR 1100) and it is still going strong. maybe one day if this site is ever working right I'll post a photo. Cheers everyone :-)

If, perchance, you have been on this site that long, you would likely know of the rule re: photos. It is doubtful that you are pumping up car tires with a bike pump, perhaps so, perhaps right after winning the world arm wrestling championships. Nice Suzuki if you have one, but given the remainder of your post, it is doubtful that you both have one AND pump up the tires with a $12 super pump with your super arms and incredible endurance. Stranger things have happened since you won the both the F1 championships and the Tour. After you flew your Learjet up to Nova Scotia, to see a total eclipse of the sun.