Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Puncture Resistant Tires?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best Puncture Resistant Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 01:37 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Morg33
Oh thank you so much for this thread, a lot of very interesting informations
Thank You Morg33, you made me feel good...mjac
Likes For mjac:
Old 02-28-20, 01:47 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Jbo26
I think some good questions to ask are: What type of roads are you riding on? How often are you getting flat tires? Do you use tire levers to put the tubes and tires back on the rims? What psi do you ride on?
Almost exclusively on 9' wide concrete Bike Path.(see picture above) Once I got my tires and tubes sorted out not often. Want to avoid as many flats as possible foe safety reasons. Yeah, I have a nice pair of heavy irons. I ride at 120 psi (maximum recommended pressure) but in the past I have not been checking and when I did they have been as low as 40psi. Doing better lately.
Old 02-28-20, 02:12 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I use the schwalbe marathon tires. They seem to be OK. They've gone over unavoidable glass a bunch.

Not my favorite tire as they can be sketchy in the wet on certain surfaces and took a while to bed in compared to other tires i've owned in the past.
Old 02-28-20, 05:46 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
There's more than one way to skin a cat. I am in Chicago, which many would say was world's capitol of broken glass and bad pavement. Friends with Marathons are happy to show me large numbers of embedded glass fragments in their tread. Trying hard to come up with last time I punctured on glass. The wife did have a glass puncture about a year and a half ago. About same time I hit a very short roofing nail - big broad nail head and the spike was maybe 3/4". Can recall puncturing three years back on a short piece of wire. Likely came from my own basement. Most flats are due to split defective inner tubes. I do all this on Rene Herse/Compass tires which are as light as you can get. The theory is they are supple and simply flex around the glass. Whatever, seems to work. When flats do occur the supple tires peel off easily w/o need for tools, pop back on easily w/o tools.

I can give you an instance where this strategy did not work at all. We used to do a winter vacation in S. Florida. The pavement there has a lot of texture and seems to hold broken glass in position, rain and traffic do not sweep it away. And held in position as you ride over it. For many vacationers the main leisure activity seems to be alcohol consumption, we witnessed tossed bottles, something not seen routinely in Chicago for decades. And we flatted. Tried again with Gatorskins, which feel like riding through wet concrete. And we flatted. LBS said bring three tubes and a patch kit on every ride. We used them.

Unless you have an unusual local situation with lots of flats guaranteed, you're faster in long run using lighter tires. Every minute on the bike is faster. Every minute on the bike is more fun. Tires that pop on and off save huge amounts of time when you do flat. If the goal is no flats ever the only way to do that is solid tires.
Old 02-28-20, 07:11 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by 63rickert
There's more than one way to skin a cat. I am in Chicago, which many would say was world's capitol of broken glass and bad pavement. Friends with Marathons are happy to show me large numbers of embedded glass fragments in their tread. Trying hard to come up with last time I punctured on glass. The wife did have a glass puncture about a year and a half ago. About same time I hit a very short roofing nail - big broad nail head and the spike was maybe 3/4". Can recall puncturing three years back on a short piece of wire. Likely came from my own basement. Most flats are due to split defective inner tubes. I do all this on Rene Herse/Compass tires which are as light as you can get. The theory is they are supple and simply flex around the glass. Whatever, seems to work. When flats do occur the supple tires peel off easily w/o need for tools, pop back on easily w/o tools.

I can give you an instance where this strategy did not work at all. We used to do a winter vacation in S. Florida. The pavement there has a lot of texture and seems to hold broken glass in position, rain and traffic do not sweep it away. And held in position as you ride over it. For many vacationers the main leisure activity seems to be alcohol consumption, we witnessed tossed bottles, something not seen routinely in Chicago for decades. And we flatted. Tried again with Gatorskins, which feel like riding through wet concrete. And we flatted. LBS said bring three tubes and a patch kit on every ride. We used them.

Unless you have an unusual local situation with lots of flats guaranteed, you're faster in long run using lighter tires. Every minute on the bike is faster. Every minute on the bike is more fun. Tires that pop on and off save huge amounts of time when you do flat. If the goal is no flats ever the only way to do that is solid tires.
With the tires I have on hand right now which include one 700 X 23 Bontreger triple puncture protection and one 700 X 28 Bontreger Aramid Band that I am going to try first, I am going to use a Mr. Tuffy Tire liner and I am going to inject Flat Attack Sealent into the tubes. I do not know if this is right. I don't know if it will work.But I am thinking of trying it.

What tire has the highest rolling resistance?...A flat one.

Last edited by mjac; 02-28-20 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-29-20, 08:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
Well, people kept coming back at me with, " Flats are inevitable, you can not stop 100% of all flats." The attitude was why even try just bear with it and do repairs. They were willing to be exposed to higher vulnerability of flats for better performance in whatever terms you want to use, rolling resistance, handling, traction...and I respect that. But my position is, and it is my position not pushing it on anyone else, I wanted a tire system that eliminated as many flats as possible,no compromises, with at least descent, just descent, ride ability.Puncture Resistance was on the top of my list for a number of reasons which there is no use going into here. But it was important to me. Jokingly aside, what tire has the highest rolling resistance? A Flat one.
You bring up a few points that are important to me. Everyone just eviscerates the Gator's ride, but for a highly puncture resistant tire they don't seem that bad. They are not race tires, but they don't go flat either. They actually roll better then the Schwalbes according to your experience so they can not be God Awful. Michelin Pro Tech Tires start at 32mm. I thought they would have road sizes. Any shot for a 32mm tire to fit on a road bike? I am not familiar with Panaracer Paaselas but I think Canklecat mentioned them as being very good. In my collection of COOP Tire Wonders I have two Bontregers, one is a 23mm triple puncture protection and the other one is a 28mm with an Aramid Band. Either one of them any good. I am going to try and use these tires with Flat Atteack injected into the tubes and a Mr. Taffy Tire Liner and see what happens.
Yeah, I found that out when I looked into them. The way you described them, using the Aramid band to keep them slim, I thought they were road tires but they start at 32mm and a 32mm Cross Max weighs twice as much as a 28mm Gator. I have two Bontregers from the COOP, a 23mm with "triple flat protection" and the other one a 28mm with an Aramid Band, any good?
Thank You Morg33, you made me feel good...mjac
Almost exclusively on 9' wide concrete Bike Path.(see picture above) Once I got my tires and tubes sorted out not often. Want to avoid as many flats as possible foe safety reasons. Yeah, I have a nice pair of heavy irons. I ride at 120 psi (maximum recommended pressure) but in the past I have not been checking and when I did they have been as low as 40psi. Doing better lately.
Interesting thread, but just in case you're not aware, there's a "Multi Quote" function that may help thread readability when you want to respond to multiple people but with just one post.
Old 02-29-20, 09:21 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Interesting thread, but just in case you're not aware, there's a "Multi Quote" function that may help thread readability when you want to respond to multiple people but with just one post.
You are right. I felt awkward responding to each post individually, but I figured they took the time to respond to me with knowledge and experience I do not have, they deserved a response from me. But it looked kind of silly seeing 6 or 7 individual posts from "mjac" in a row. I guesse there are times when a multquote would be practical.

I am glad you found it interesting,none of my doing, I did too. I picked up a lot of tid bits of information. Some of which forced, and I mean forced me to get a little Zeifel under saddle bag and put together a small tire repair kit. I thought I would feel stupid. But I felt better on the next ride because I was better able to handle anything that happens. Funny. Looks pretty good too.
Old 02-29-20, 06:21 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus along with Mr. Tuffy. This combination gives me a flat every 10,000 - 20,000 miles. I drive and cycle about equal distances each year, and my flat rates on both vehicles are the same. While agreeing that any pneumatic tire will flat, it seems to me that matching the flat rate of a car tire is sufficient to consider the problem solved.
Old 02-29-20, 06:42 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by PaulH
I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus along with Mr. Tuffy. This combination gives me a flat every 10,000 - 20,000 miles. I drive and cycle about equal distances each year, and my flat rates on both vehicles are the same. While agreeing that any pneumatic tire will flat, it seems to me that matching the flat rate of a car tire is sufficient to consider the problem solved.
That is exactly my goal. Not to try and eliminate 100% of all flats all the time and not carry a repair kit. It was to reduce the flat rate as much as possible and still have a decently rolling and handling tire with no superficial flats. A few people have recommended the Mr. Tuffy so what I am going to do with the tires I have now before buying new tires is go with the Mr. Tuffy Liners and put Flat Attack Sealent in the tubes and try that. Mr. Tuffy said something about the Blue and the Grey. I have to find out what this is...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-29-20, 08:30 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Everyone just eviscerates the Gator's ride, but for a highly puncture resistant tire they don't seem that bad. They are not race tires, but they don't go flat either. They actually roll better then the Schwalbes according to your experience so they can not be God Awful. ......
My Gator Hardshells are pretty good, but I still get flats every now and then, like this one. Probably averaging one every 4,000 miles or so. The ride is not supple, but my winter studs ride a lot harsher.

Old 02-29-20, 08:45 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
My Gator Hardshells are pretty good, but I still get flats every now and then, like this one. Probably averaging one every 4,000 miles or so. The ride is not supple, but my winter studs ride a lot harsher.

While not perfect by any stretch of the imagination would you say they are a good value for the money? They just can't ride as harshly as some people are saying. They may not be fast and smooth like road racers but they can not be absolutely terrible.
Old 02-29-20, 09:11 PM
Archwhorides 

While not perfect by any stretch of the imagination would you say they are a good value for the money? They just can't ride as harshly as some people are saying. They may not be fast and smooth like road racers but they can not be absolutely terrible.
I've been commuting with 32mm Gator HS for 8 years now and I think they are a great value. I wouldn't put them on my 25mm road bike wheels (I want more suppleness and grip), but for my urban riding they are great (except when they have a roofing nail through them).

Last edited by Archwhorides; 02-29-20 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-29-20, 10:05 PM
mjac

I've been commuting with 32mm Gator HS for 8 years now and I think they are a great value. I wouldn't put them on my 25mm road bike wheels (I want more suppleness and grip), but for my urban riding they are great (except when they have a roofing nail through them).
Exactly. You have been riding them for 8 years I would have to say they must be at least tolerable if not serviceable if a man has ridden them for eight years. To hear some of these people talk you would need spinal fusion after one ride. Nobody said they were time trial tires but in an urban setting they are better then time trial tires and time trial tires would be better then them in a time trial. Avoiding flats on an urban commute is a valuable asset and can save you a lot of trouble, a lot. That seems worth it to me. They have their place. Maybe these guys are just purists.
Old 02-29-20, 10:07 PM
mjac

Whose finger is that?
Old 03-01-20, 02:41 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Exactly. You have been riding them for 8 years I would have to say they must be at least tolerable if not serviceable if a man has ridden them for eight years. To hear some of these people talk you would need spinal fusion after one ride. Nobody said they were time trial tires but in an urban setting they are better then time trial tires and time trial tires would be better then them in a time trial. Avoiding flats on an urban commute is a valuable asset and can save you a lot of trouble, a lot. That seems worth it to me. They have their place. Maybe these guys are just purists.
There is a huge difference in ride quality between a 32mm wide tire and a 23 or 25mm wide tire. The wider tires can be ridden at much lower pressure. In addition, tire liners will further degrade ride quality, especially with a tire designed for maximum puncture protection.
I thought I might also add that flat tires are not always caused by punctures from road debris. In fact, of my last 6 flat tires only one was a puncture. The first was a tire bead failure, a brand new tire(first ride) 80 km into a 100 km ride and the tire bead separated from the tire sidewall causing a blowout. The next was a pinch flat caused by me trying to hop over a curb going too fast. The next was another bead failure that actually happened in my living room, it let go while I was sitting watching TV. The next 2 were inner tube valve failures, one a valve separating at the base and the other caused by the valve nut breaking off. In both cases the inner tubes had been in service for years, they were both on their 3rd set of tires. The last was the only puncture. Near the end of a ride, I ran over an industrial staple that could easily have punctured almost any tire. In this case it was my bike with tubeless tires. I finished the ride with only one issue: I had to pump the tire up with 2 km to go. If I had been using sealant with my tubeless tire, I wouldn't have had to do even that. 6 flats, but only 3 of them happened on the road, in 6 years or so of riding. The only bike that had puncture resistant tires was the one that had the pinch flat. For me, one puncture in 6 years is acceptable, especially since that one puncture didn't keep me from finishing my ride
Old 03-01-20, 03:46 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by alcjphil
There is a huge difference in ride quality between a 32mm wide tire and a 23 or 25mm wide tire. The wider tires can be ridden at much lower pressure. In addition, tire liners will further degrade ride quality, especially with a tire designed for maximum puncture protection.
I thought I might also add that flat tires are not always caused by punctures from road debris. In fact, of my last 6 flat tires only one was a puncture. The first was a tire bead failure, a brand new tire(first ride) 80 km into a 100 km ride and the tire bead separated from the tire sidewall causing a blowout. The next was a pinch flat caused by me trying to hop over a curb going too fast. The next was another bead failure that actually happened in my living room, it let go while I was sitting watching TV. The next 2 were inner tube valve failures, one a valve separating at the base and the other caused by the valve nut breaking off. In both cases the inner tubes had been in service for years, they were both on their 3rd set of tires. The last was the only puncture. Near the end of a ride, I ran over an industrial staple that could easily have punctured almost any tire. In this case it was my bike with tubeless tires. I finished the ride with only one issue: I had to pump the tire up with 2 km to go. If I had been using sealant with my tubeless tire, I wouldn't have had to do even that. 6 flats, but only 3 of them happened on the road, in 6 years or so of riding. The only bike that had puncture resistant tires was the one that had the pinch flat. For me, one puncture in 6 years is acceptable, especially since that one puncture didn't keep me from finishing my ride
I assume your puncture resistant tire is the 32mm Tubeless Gator Skin that had one flat in 6 years. In your honest opinion do you think that Gator Skin (hard casing?) prevented some flats in those 6 years. I don't know if 32s will fit on my bike I will have to see. But you do suggest putting the largest tire you can on the bike for urban riding.

You our have a point. I was getting a rash of flats from the casing breaking down in some tires I bought fro a guy used and from Presti Vaves splitting from the tube right at the base, new tubes too.
Old 03-01-20, 03:58 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I assume your puncture resistant tire is the 32mm Tubeless Gator Skin that had one flat in 6 years. In your honest opinion do you think that Gator Skin (hard casing?) prevented some flats in those 6 years. I don't know if 32s will fit on my bike I will have to see. But you do suggest putting the largest tire you can on the bike for urban riding.

You our have a point. I was getting a rash of flats from the casing breaking down in some tires I bought fro a guy used and from Presti Vaves splitting from the tube right at the base, new tubes too.
Had you been paying attention to my previous answers you would know that my puncture protection tire on my touring bike is a Panaracer Pasela TG 700 x 32 not tubeless otherwise I would not have suffered a pinch flat This is not my only bike. My other road bikes have tires chosen for performance, supple ride and lighter weight. None of your posts indicate anything about what sort of bike you have other than that you need a 15mm wrench to remove the wheels. Lacking that sort of information most tire suggestions are going to be guesses. There is no such thing as a tubeless Gatorskin tire and I have had only one puncture flat over 6 years on 5 different bikes. Please reread my previous answer. I was attempting to explain that puncture resistance cannot prevent flat tires. Only one flat out of 6 I have had over 6 years was a puncture

Last edited by alcjphil; 03-01-20 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-01-20, 05:02 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Had you been paying attention to my previous answers you would know that my puncture protection tire on my touring bike is a Panaracer Pasela TG 700 x 32 not tubeless otherwise I would not have suffered a pinch flat This is not my only bike. My other road bikes have tires chosen for performance, supple ride and lighter weight. None of your posts indicate anything about what sort of bike you have other than that you need a 15mm wrench to remove the wheels. Lacking that sort of information most tire suggestions are going to be guesses. There is no such thing as a tubeless Gatorskin tire and I have had only one puncture flat over 6 years on 5 different bikes. Please reread my previous answer. I was attempting to explain that puncture resistance cannot prevent flat tires. Only one flat out of 6 I have had over 6 years was a puncture
My mistake, I got your post mixed up with " ArchWhoRides". We were talking about Gator Skins. Sorry.
Old 03-01-20, 07:53 PM
Archwhorides 

Whose finger is that?
I think that's the sucker who comes around to fix my annual flat.
Old 03-01-20, 08:25 PM
mjac

I think that's the sucker who comes around to fix my annual flat.
You lie. That's your clean finger. I don't see any tire smudges or anything.
Old 03-01-20, 08:30 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
gatorskins

In a previous thread I asked what was the best self sealing 700 X 25 tube there is and was shot down on all fronts. The factory self sealing tubes don't work. Injecting tubeless mountain bike sealant into your tube doesn't work with narrow high pressure tires and the puncture resistant strips not only don't work and but can actually cause flats.

So I am going to try a different tack since I want to avoid flats at all costs. Without any regard to weight, what is the best puncture resistant tire on the market? I have heard of Continental's Gator Skins...Thanks,mjac
I have been running Gatorskins for the last three years and have nothing bad to say about them. I ride them through glass and god knows what on the berms and they allow me to just ride, I can not say any thing more. They do exactly what I need and they do it well .Most supple ? Most....... Whatever? For me they flat out work and work very well. I run them at 32 mm with 90 psi and they have been flawless for my needs.
Old 03-01-20, 08:34 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
Thinking back on the punctures I've had, most of them have been either pinch flats or problems with the rim strip that allowed the tube to bear against the edge of a spoke recess. I have Continental Gatorskins on most of my bikes. Perhaps I've just been lucky. Bull thorns are very rare here.
Old 03-01-20, 09:10 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by pattrick
I have been running Gatorskins for the last three years and have nothing bad to say about them. I ride them through glass and god knows what on the berms and they allow me to just ride, I can not say any thing more. They do exactly what I need and they do it well .Most supple ? Most....... Whatever? For me they flat out work and work very well. I run them at 32 mm with 90 psi and they have been flawless for my needs.
Those are my feelings. I do not need racing tires in an urban setting. It is too dangerous to get flats in urban areas. Flat protection has to come first. The best flat protection that has the best ride. People's put downs about how Gators ride is over the top. There job is to get you there, especially in a commute where you have to be on time. You know what tire has the highest rolling resistance and worst handling?...A Flat one.
Old 03-02-20, 12:47 PM
biketube guy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There's a new foam insert on the market called Air Fom. No flats, ever. Worth a look: https://air-fom.com
Old 03-02-20, 12:55 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
In a previous thread I asked what was the best self sealing 700 X 25 tube there is and was shot down on all fronts. The factory self sealing tubes don't work. Injecting tubeless mountain bike sealant into your tube doesn't work with narrow high pressure tires and the puncture resistant strips not only don't work and but can actually cause flats.

So I am going to try a different tack since I want to avoid flats at all costs. Without any regard to weight, what is the best puncture resistant tire on the market? I have heard of Continental's Gator Skins...Thanks,mjac
i’ve had very good luck with conti gator skins. I’ve also had good luck with spec armadillos. Of course, the watching the road diligently is the most important thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.