Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to build D'Arienzo ladies frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 05:38 AM
roshko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello everyone.
These days I bought up locally this beautiful D'Arienzo frame. It has been build with some strange mix of components - Suntour shifthers and RD, Shimano 105 (1055) FD and front brake, Shimano 600 (6400) rear brake, Stronglight Escape crankset, kaloy stem, no name flat handlebar, Promax brake levers, no name seatpost (size 26,8 mm) and saddle. Both wheels are built on Shimano hubs - Deore and Exage. After removing most of the parts I wonder how to continue with re-building the frame. I'm going to keep the existing headset and BB (which is Kinex, made in Slovakia).
As far as I know, DArienzo frames have been made by Basso, although I havent found any markings even on the dropouts and rear brake bridge. If anyone could add some info about the frame, please do! I have seen some DArienzo bikes in the web but never saw a ladies one. MY frame has been imported from Switzerland where (I suppose) it has been purchased originally as new.
As an italian built frame, would it be a general mistake if I finish building the frame with Shimano 600 (6400) components only?

Likes For roshko:
Old 05-30-20, 09:54 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
it's VERY Italian right down to the chainstay bridge so it cries out for
Campy parts or at least Ofmega and Universal.
Likes For steve sumner:
Old 05-30-20, 10:05 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Interesting bottom bracket cups, they don't match.
Old 05-30-20, 10:22 AM
roshko

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Interesting bottom bracket cups, they don't match.
Actually there is the same marking on both cups:
36x24 RH -> (which shows the assembling direction).

P.S.
I agree with the idea to replace the whole BB.

Last edited by roshko; 05-30-20 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 07:31 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
I'll take a stab in the dark and guess that this particular frame was subcontracted to another Italian builder. I would not have expected that particular bottom bracket, fork crown, and especially seatstay caps from Basso. Also, all of the D'Arienzo frames that I've seen with the usual Basso details have had Basso dropouts.

Also, though the brake cable guides are shared with the D'Arienzos I've seen before, that's a standard Silva framebuilding part. Not odd to see another builder using it.

-Kurt

Old 05-31-20, 09:07 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
My go to group is 1st Gen Chorus with retrofriction levers. Great looking frame. I wish I could find a nice Mixtie or Ladies in a tall size.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-01-20, 08:08 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
D'Arienzo is pretty much a Basso, and the "import" is curious, as all I've seen before were from S Florida, purportedly due to a contractual situation involving Basso and TSDI. At one time, I saw a photo of D'Arienzo's hand-lettered sign at the driveway ( to what I assumed was the frame shop).

Nothing low end about that frame, and worth a good build with whatever you choose. The main thing is to use it, if possible.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 06-01-20, 09:23 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
D'Arienzo is pretty much a Basso, and the "import" is curious, as all I've seen before were from S Florida, purportedly due to a contractual situation involving Basso and TSDI. At one time, I saw a photo of D'Arienzo's hand-lettered sign at the driveway ( to what I assumed was the frame shop).

Nothing low end about that frame, and worth a good build with whatever you choose. The main thing is to use it, if possible.
Not TSDI, but a line created for Gary Silva's bike shops here in Miami. It was to get around and existing exclusive distribution license tied to the Basso brand (similar to how Raleigh used their second-tier brands in the same manner).

The name, as Gary told me, was that of one of Basso's builders. That's not to say I wouldn't think they wouldn't slap his name on whatever would sell though - not that I ever confirmed this, for this is the first non-Basso D'Arienzo I see.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-01-20 at 09:47 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-01-20, 09:38 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Thanks for sharing all the interesting Basso info in here!