Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Best Hybrid Disc in the $600-700 market?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 06-07-20, 03:45 PM
turns31

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 4 bikes. I've tried each of these (albeit older models) a few years back. I ended up going with a Trek FX 2 because I found it on sale at a local shop. I sold it a few months later because I just didn't ride it enough thanks to work and family responsibilities. I'm now at a spot where I can dedicate an hour or 2 a week to go riding for fitness. 99% of the riding will be on paved streets and paths around my neighborhood. I was fitted in a large for Trek FX, Cannondale Quicks and Specialized Sirrus. None of them "felt" phenomenally better than any of the others to my beginner's butt. I guess I'm just wondering if there's a discernable difference between brands in 2020? Quality, Craftsmanship. Warranty, etc... All of my local shops are sold out but are taking preorders for shipments at the end of the month and July. I'm in no real rush. Hot as hell here right now anyway.

Trek FX2

Trek Dual Sport 2

Cannondale Quick 4

Specialized Sirrus 2

If there's an alternative you think would fit me better please let me know.
Old 06-07-20, 04:28 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Welcome the BF!
If that was my list I would delete the Trek Dual Sport2. I'm not a fan of front suspension forks on hybrids and at that price range I'm guessing performance is mediocre at best. I believe you'll get better value with the other bikes on your list.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the bikes. It's unfortunate you can't ride them before you buy one.
Old 06-07-20, 04:31 PM
turns31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Welcome the BF!
If that was my list I would delete the Trek Dual Sport2. I'm not a fan of front suspension forks on hybrids and at that price range I'm guessing performance is mediocre at best. I believe you'll get better value with the other bikes on your list.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the bikes. It's unfortunate you can't ride them before you buy one.
Good to know. The trek dealer next to me does have an FX3 in stock. Is the carbon fork worth the extra $160 over the FX2?
Old 06-07-20, 04:42 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by turns31
Good to know. The trek dealer next to me does have an FX3 in stock. Is the carbon fork worth the extra $160 over the FX2?
Depends on your budget. The carbon fork will give you a lighter bike and will smooth out some of the the bumps. I get nightmares about hitting deep pot holes with my carbon forked bike (lol).
If a smooth ride is important and you can live with a slightly heavier bike (and you're ok with the price range) I would suggest you add the Jamis Coda S1 to your List.
IMO nothing beats a Steel frame bike for a buttery smooth ride......
Old 06-07-20, 05:47 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I'd also suggest removing the DS2 due to the front suspension. The other 3 you list are similar as manufactures can see what the other offers at said price and get close to matching. What bike shop and color do you like best?

The Jamis Coda, Jamis Sequel (over budget) and Marin Muirwoods (over budget) are the bikes I'd suggest looking at. I'm a steel fan as well.
Old 06-07-20, 05:50 PM
turns31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
I'd also suggest removing the DS2 due to the front suspension. The other 3 you list are similar as manufactures can see what the other offers at said price and get close to matching. What bike shop and color do you like best?

The Jamis Coda, Jamis Sequel (over budget) and Marin Muirwoods (over budget) are the bikes I'd suggest looking at. I'm a steel fan as well.
I really liked my Trek and Cannondale shops. Both super helpful. Never even heard of Jamis. I'll see if there's any dealers near me.

I really want red as that's my favorite color but it seems like that's not the in color at the moment. Not a fan of all the matte black.
Old 06-07-20, 06:13 PM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
I think there are other differences than the carbon fork.

Generally, the group set is better on the FX3 than the FX2 (I think there are a number of differences in the 2 models this year such 9 vs 8 speed, triple chain ring vs double, ergonomic grips, etc.).

Might not matter that much if you plan on only doing a couple of hours a week. I got the FX2 last year and it has been a great bike with no issues. That said, I'm spending much more time riding than last year and wish I had gone up a model or two.

All the choices listed are good "entry" level bikes. It really comes down to which one you like best (hard to tell if you can't ride them though).

Last edited by Mtl01; 06-07-20 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 08:23 PM
bbenny01

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turns31
I've pretty much narrowed it down to 4 bikes. I've tried each of these (albeit older models) a few years back. I ended up going with a Trek FX 2 because I found it on sale at a local shop. I sold it a few months later because I just didn't ride it enough thanks to work and family responsibilities. I'm now at a spot where I can dedicate an hour or 2 a week to go riding for fitness. 99% of the riding will be on paved streets and paths around my neighborhood. I was fitted in a large for Trek FX, Cannondale Quicks and Specialized Sirrus. None of them "felt" phenomenally better than any of the others to my beginner's butt. I guess I'm just wondering if there's a discernable difference between brands in 2020? Quality, Craftsmanship. Warranty, etc... All of my local shops are sold out but are taking preorders for shipments at the end of the month and July. I'm in no real rush. Hot as hell here right now anyway.

Trek FX2

Trek Dual Sport 2

Cannondale Quick 4

Specialized Sirrus 2

If there's an alternative you think would fit me better please let me know.
Check out the Scott Dub Cross 20 Men Bike
KEY FEATURES:
Sub Cross Men/Lady Alloy Frame
Suntour NEX HLO 63mm Fork
Shimano Deore 30 Speed
Shimano Hyd. Brakes

Price at 799.99

This bike is above your budget but the compnents it comes with it defiantly worth it. I have a 2018 Giant Roam 1 with similar components it was priced higher than the Scott. I love my 3 x 10 and they are becoming rare these days. If I didn't have the Giant I would defiantly check out the Scott Dub Cross 20.

Hope this helps...
Old 06-16-20, 09:53 PM
Aonex

Bikes: Topstone Lefty, Defy, FR5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there a Giant dealer near you? I'd take a look at the Giant Fastroad SL 3. It's more road oriented, which you said you'd be mostly riding.
Old 06-20-20, 02:39 PM
DanBF

Bikes: 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1974 Schwinn World Traveler, 1999 Bianchi Campione, 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper, Schwinn High Plains

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy a newish used bike if you have the time. I purchased a like new Fuji Absolute - 27 speed, deore derailleur, carbon front fork with v-brakes for $150 and I'm really happy with it. I'm pretty sure a similar bike would run around $850 today. Again, my bike doesn't have disk brakes but I don't want them because they can be a nightmare to maintain and the v-brakes on it work great.
Old 06-21-20, 08:19 PM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I really like my Trek FX 2 I have had for a few years now.

I have had a Trek FX 2 hybrid for a few years and I actually love the bike. I would recommend it.

It is a lot faster than the Schwinn Mountain Bike I ride and it is a faster bike than the Schwinn Hybrid I got my wife. I can keep up sometimes with riders on road bikes on the hybrid. I have ridden it on payment, grass, dirt, gravel, grass, sand and it rode on those surfaces fine. I only got one flat on the bike so far that's it. Still shifts good and rides great. The front wheel and back wheel can detach easily. It is compact enough to fit in the back of a car if you take fron't wheel of. It doesn't have fron't suspension, but I haven't had a problem with the ride feeling too bumpy at all with the bike paths I have been on with it. I wouldn't take it on a mountain bike path, but it has been just fine on most bike paths I have ridden it on. I actually really love the bike a lot that is why I am recommending it.

Last edited by littleArnold; 06-21-20 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 02:57 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBF
Again, my bike doesn't have disk brakes but I don't want them because they can be a nightmare to maintain and the v-brakes on it work great.
What is so nightmarish about disc brake maintenance? I have no experience with mechanical DB's, but hydraulic ones are the easiest to maintain compared to V-brakes and cantilevers. They are almost maintenance free, basically. Alignment and pad swap is very simple, no adjustment needed for pad wear, only the bleeding can be a bit of a mess, but is still an easy task with the right bleed kit and is needed like once a year.
Old 06-28-20, 07:51 AM
TampaBayBoater

Bikes: Trek: 7200 > 7.2 FX > FX 4 Sport

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
I would recommend the Trek FX 2 (assuming it's a newer/better version of the old 7.2). I've had the Trek 7.2 and beat it to death over the last few years and have found it to be comfortable, reliable, durable. I hesitantly upgraded to the FX4 Sport recently but I'm keeping the 7.2 (has a rack, trunk bag, trailer) for grocery trips.
Old 06-28-20, 08:10 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The Jamis will probably stand out as feeling different from the rest due to its steel construction vs. aluminum. It'll probably feel a little softer and a little springier. It's not better or worse -- it's just different. Many people like the "ride feel" of a steel frame, and some people don't find a difference in it. The only way to find out for yourself is to try it.

I have a 1997 Trek MultiTrack 750 -- it's about as close to a Jamis Coda as it comes, without actually being one (in terms of geometry, style of bike, frame material, etc.). I can directly compare it to my 2018 Giant Roam (essentially the same as a Trek DS). The Giant is definitely heavier (suspension fork), and the front end rides "softer" over larger and sharper bumps due to the suspension. But there's far more "road feel" in the Giant. Even with larger 38mm tires, I can feel every imperfection in the surface below. The frame is also "louder" from the perspective of transmitting the noise of the road grain. I have other aluminum bikes that don't share this characteristic, so it's not from the aluminum itself, but rather the specific sizes, shapes, etc. Anyway, I have to be a little more careful with my 750 when off road (because of the rigid fork), but the bike generally rides smoother and quieter than the Giant.

I've come to really appreciate disc brakes (my bikes with discs have hydraulic discs), and that's the one thing I wish my 750 had. It has very good cantilever brakes on it, and they stop very sure, but discs just seem to be more consistent and nicer to use. If I were buying a new hybrid today, or if I sold my Giant and wanted to replace it, I'd look hard at a Coda or a Sequel. The Coda supports up to about 35-38mm tires (according to Jamis), and the Sequel will support larger if you're interested in that.
Old 06-28-20, 11:59 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I don't know if there is a best hybrid in your price range of the models you suggest. There probably all fine bikes for what they are.

As fo suspension forks, If you have very rough roads or trails, I would recommend them. Even these low end forks probably have adjustable preload and hydraulic damping with lock out. For average roads, Supple 35 mm+ tires properly inflated can provide a comfortable ride.

Fom an engineering, quality, and component standpoint Giant did an excellent job with my entry level Sedona comfort bike. Fit and finish are 2'nd to none, It does exactly what it is supposed to do with no surprises. It's so comfortable I could ride it all day. So if the Giant Escape or the Roam for rough roads is available, I would check them out too.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-28-20 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 05:48 PM
carpandean

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aonex
Is there a Giant dealer near you? I'd take a look at the Giant Fastroad SL 3. It's more road oriented, which you said you'd be mostly riding.
Fastroad SL's are very nice. The Giant Escape Disc 2 (or even 1) would be another option. Not quite as road oriented; more in line with the options listed.