Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Most expensive cheap bike ever....

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-12-20, 01:02 PM
Gillparis

Bikes: Old Simon bike that I just bought on a whim.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

For a Friday night...

I have posted previously about the bike with the bent frame that I picked up for parts for next to nothing. Or so I thought...

Just got a 90 EUR fine for accidentally driving in a bus lane when I got lost on the way there (90 EUR!!!!! It's only 40 for speeding...). On top of that when I got back last week from picking it up I realised I no longer had my engagement ring, so I which must have fallen off. I ring the seller, he doesn't have it but he did notice that the bloke who came after me had a ring in his hand. He rings him and pretends I am his sister in law. The guy has it but lives two hours from me. So today I drive out there, on the MOST EXPENSIVE toll road in France, for two hours in the Friday traffic and use probably a million euros in petrol to pick it up. Then I obviously give the guy something as a reward. Then I drive back on the most expensive toll road road. All I need now is to have passed one of those sneaky speed cameras at 91 in a 90 zone and that will round it off nicely.

Still, I have my engagement ring back and a day out in the lovely town of Chartres 😊

Love to hear any other disaster stories!

Have a great weekend.
Gill
Likes For Gillparis:
Old 06-12-20, 01:44 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
Boy, I sure can't top that one! Yesterday I had to drive an extra 45 minutes to meet a buyer I made a date with because I forgot to pack the extra saddles I promised to bring along. (d-oh!) Happy ending, he bought the bike for full price and he got a saddle he likes, too.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 06-12-20, 02:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Nowhere near as amusing - I picked up a '73 Carlton Raleigh Competition frame several years ago for $80 as a rather nice beater bike. Parts came off the frame I was replacing Rode it, Fun! Rode it on gravel. Really fun! Took it out into the hilly gravel roads. Grinning ear-to-ear fun. But the frame had a couple of issues. Huret derailleur hanger was a challenge for my SunTour derailleur. Seatpin ears were in sad shape. And there wasn't visible braze under the DT shifter clamp stop. (If that's poor, is anything else not up to snuff? This bike is too much fun blasting down steep gravel roads and out here, the hill bottoms are abrupt and severely washboarded. Frame breakers.

So I took the frame to "my" frame builder, asked him to have it stripped, then inspect it, report back and fix the seatlug ears and modify the hanger if it is worth saving. Report? Very little braze in any of the lugs. Two tubes with minor cracks at the lugs - no big deal and easily repaired but clearly due to very inadequate support from the lug and braze. He flowed in the braze that a new frame would take! Work done. frame painted and returned looking like a brand new frame (less decals and stickers) - $1000. For a frame I paid $80 for and that cost as a new bike $500?

Sadly, I've given up gravel riding. Too hard on my brain. I have NFL caliber "loose brain syndrome" (my words) or post TBI susceptibility to further injury. So it's mostly a working truck. (Two racks, 4 panniers; an excellent farmers market bike.) An $1100 grocery bike.

Ben
Old 06-12-20, 03:09 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by Gillparis
For a Friday night...

I have posted previously about the bike with the bent frame that I picked up for parts for next to nothing. Or so I thought...

Just got a 90 EUR fine for accidentally driving in a bus lane when I got lost on the way there (90 EUR!!!!! It's only 40 for speeding...). On top of that when I got back last week from picking it up I realised I no longer had my engagement ring, so I which must have fallen off. I ring the seller, he doesn't have it but he did notice that the bloke who came after me had a ring in his hand. He rings him and pretends I am his sister in law. The guy has it but lives two hours from me. So today I drive out there, on the MOST EXPENSIVE toll road in France, for two hours in the Friday traffic and use probably a million euros in petrol to pick it up. Then I obviously give the guy something as a reward. Then I drive back on the most expensive toll road road. All I need now is to have passed one of those sneaky speed cameras at 91 in a 90 zone and that will round it off nicely.

Still, I have my engagement ring back and a day out in the lovely town of Chartres 😊

Love to hear any other disaster stories!

Have a great weekend.
Gill
ouch
Old 06-13-20, 07:12 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
The worst for me is when the seller disappeared on me when I was at the meeting spot. ~30min drive, sitting in my car, texting and calling, but no answer. Drive home with nothing.
Old 06-13-20, 07:21 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
So was there a bus actually trying to use the lane when you got that ticket?
Old 06-13-20, 07:31 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Follow through...

Last edited by Bigbus; 06-13-20 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Follow through-
Old 06-13-20, 07:35 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
This thread is great, but unfortunately I don't have anything to contribute.

Worst luck so far was buying a bike off of CL for what was a pretty good price, only to discover that the top tube had a decent size dent in it (although the bike still rides great and has been fine for 500 miles now). The guy I bought it from was so far from the subway that by the time I got to his place after work it was dark and drizzling (and he was hard to pin down, so rescheduling was out of the question). I had studied the photos pretty well (or so I thought), and basically just gave it a quick once over with the light on my phone because I already knew I wanted the bike before I got there.

Rode it back to the subway in the rain (slowly, because it didn't fenders), and then was sitting on the train very content until I noticed the dent in the top tube. Looking at the pictures one last time, I probably could/should have noticed it beforehand, but, like I said, still love the bike.

Originally Posted by Gillparis
Gill
Oh man, that's rough. I don't believe in this stuff, but I might be inclined to think that bike was jinxed and be scared to ride it.
Old 06-14-20, 01:08 AM
Gillparis

Originally Posted by madpogue
So was there a bus actually trying to use the lane when you got that ticket?
Oh no. There was not a bus to be seen. Just an empty road. Plus there was no way out once I was in it. Not that I feel hard done by or anything....
Old 06-14-20, 01:22 AM
Gillparis

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Oh man, that's rough. I don't believe in this stuff, but I might be inclined to think that bike was jinxed and be scared to ride it.
It is currently in pieces and someone is coming for the various parts tomorrow. At least it is a story to tell 😊 and it shows there are decent people in this world (excluding whoever invented bus lane fines...).
Likes For Gillparis: