Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Smooth miles

Old 06-16-20, 08:58 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Smooth miles

Over the course of the past 10 days, I have put 315 miles on my recently built Soma Smoothie. The most in one day being 77 miles and the least 8 miles. I am growing quite fond of this bike. It is equipped with 105 7000 groupset: 11-32 cassette, 50/34 crankset. Also: Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset with Panaracer 26mm tires, Cane Creek 40 headset, Zipp Course 70 handlebar, Easton EA70 stem, Pro Griffon saddle, Shimano PD-R540 black pedals. The wheels/tires, saddle and pedals I put on the bike just today. I have been playing around a bit with those items. I think I like how it is configured now the best so far. I had 28mm Hutchinson Fusion 5 tires on Pro-Lite Bortola 2.0 wheelset mounted on the bike,but wanted to try the Fulcrum/GK set up. I can definitely feel the difference in the two wheelset/tire combos. Much quicker to spin up and more nimble with the GK 26's. The wheelsets are pretty comparable with the Fulcrums getting the nod for the looks, and I think they feel more solid/stiff.

I am a bit surprised the 28's fit due to the Soma CF fork on the front. I still have around 3mm clearance at the sidewalls and the same under the crown/brake calipers, The back has a bit more clearance. I will probably be using the 28's more due to the cushier ride and the stability. I have a set of Campy Zonda on another bike, I really like them, and will try them on the Smoothie at some point. I still need to shorten the rear derailleur housing in the back, the front derailleur housing at the head tube, and probably move the stem spacers around to lower the bars a bit. At some point, I may decide to shorten the steerer tube some. Otherwise, all is good and operating as it should.

Soma Smoothie, 2015? Not sure of the year, I bought ithe frame/fork NIB a couple of months ago. The bike is appropriately named, as it definitely makes for a smooth ride, yet it spins up quickly and is quick handling. The weight is decent for a steel bike, around 22 lbs. with the accessories on the bike: saddlebag with tube and etc., pump, lights, 2 cages and wireless comp. I am impressed with the 7000 groupset performance. The shifts are quick and crisp, the braking is really good with the stock pads. It all runs very quietly. It took some fiddling to get it there, but easier than I thought it would be. I have a 5700 groupset that does not even come close in performance. The Fulcrum wheels and GK tires are a good fit for the bike, and as a bonus, they look good with the bike.

Most of the miles have been on pavement. I have been on a couple of rec paths for maybe 20 miles. They are mostly cinder paths with some gravel and dirt areas also. The rear stays have rack mounts to add to the versatility of the bike. I will be getting a light duty rear rack, but not to leave it the bike. I could definitely see me doing some credit card touring on the Smoothie. It will fit that kind of riding just about perfectly.

All told, I am impressed with the Smoothie. It is versatile, fun to ride and very comfortable for long rides. The 7000 group is outstanding. I look forward to getting many thousands of miles and hours of enjoyment on the bike. I would already rank it in the top 3 of 8 bikes that I own. My Lemond Tourmalet has become my favorite, but I can see the Smoothie being a challenger to that.
Old 06-16-20, 09:22 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Shame on you for not including at least 1 photo.

I built up my Soma Fog Cutter at the beginning of the year and have been impressed as well.
Old 06-16-20, 10:27 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Shame on you for not including at least 1 photo.
While not the OP's bike, this one has a few thousand miles under its belt and is Extra Smooth! Might help satisfy your photo deficiency. I will get around to cutting off the excess steerer eventually.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 06-16-20, 11:54 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I've got a question for those of you with a Smoothie, since I'm considering getting one. All the reviews I've read read like yours, smooth, quick handling, wonderful, etc. But I have read one review where the owner described it as a very flexible frame. I'd like to test ride one - most of my steel bikes have been nice and stiff, but I've had a few where the bottom bracket just flexes all over on hard climbs or acceleration. How would you describe yours? Thanks in advance.