Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do these colors represent ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-07-20, 11:02 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts

On both my Wilier and Ridley there are small color scheme sections of blue, red, black, yellow and green stripes. I’ve also seen this on various other cycling items and am curious what it is related to?
Old 07-07-20, 11:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The UCI Rainbow
Old 07-08-20, 07:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Reigning world champions may wear the stripes on their jerseys. National champions wear the stripes that signify their country.

The UCI owns the rights to these world champion stripes. For a manufacturer to include them on a road frame, the UCI must grant permission. Likely a royalty was paid for the honor.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-08-20, 03:55 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 409 Posts
If the world champion is a member of a team, such as in the TdF, he or she will wear the stripes on their sleeves.
Old 07-08-20, 04:25 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
If the world champion is a member of a team, such as in the TdF, he or she will wear the stripes on their sleeves.
Unless you're this guy

Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-09-20, 06:43 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
A former world champion is allowed to wear the rainbow stripes on collar and sleeves for the remainder of their career.

The reigning champion wears the white jersey with the rainbow stripes across the chest.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 07-09-20, 10:06 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
And it's considered to be very bad form to wear a rainbow jersey you did not win the right to.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 07-09-20, 11:12 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
In the past, some companies wanted the “look”, so they simply rearranged the order of the stripes.

Old 07-09-20, 11:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
In the past, some companies wanted the “look”, so they simply rearranged the order of the stripes.

That's funny. There was recently a thread wherein a guy asked why his UCI stripes were in the wrong order. Turns out his frame was all kinds of counterfeit.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-09-20, 12:26 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I got a pinstripe kit for a different project. I totally world champed one of my bikes with it. I probably won't be confused for an actual WC.
Old 07-09-20, 12:58 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
And it's considered to be very bad form to wear a rainbow jersey you did not win the right to.

Cheers
Does this mean that bike shops will not carry garments with those stripes? What about online or eBay merchants? Is there nowhere a friend of mine might be able to make a fashion statement with these stripes?
Likes For BillyD:
Old 07-09-20, 01:04 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Does this mean that bike shops will not carry garments with those stripes? What about online or eBay merchants? Is there nowhere a friend of mine might be able to make a fashion statement with these stripes?
What fashion statement would that be? That the person is pretending to be a former world champion? People can pretend to be whatever they want, but it doesn't make it right.
Old 07-09-20, 01:44 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11894 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,417 Posts
Originally Posted by JayKay3000
What fashion statement would that be? That the person is pretending to be a former world champion? People can pretend to be whatever they want, but it doesn't make it right.
What if he just likes the color combination? Or what if he just wants to emulate the current champion?

I know how the yellow jersey thing has been beat to death, but is it the same deal with the champion jersey? It’s obvious what I’m getting at. The point is that in any other sport you can sport your favorite team’s jersey . . . doesn’t cycling want to be emulated by enthusiasts like in other sports? It just makes no sense.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 07-09-20, 01:56 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Not hating on those that love to wear authentic team stuff. But a couple years ago I passed a guy with the full Bora kit, bibs and all, with the uci stripes. Thought it was a little much. Saw someone else with a EF jersey. That's really the only two times I've seen world team stuff around here. Mostly it's smaller clubs.
Old 07-09-20, 02:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Not hating on those that love to wear authentic team stuff. But a couple years ago I passed a guy with the full Bora kit, bibs and all, with the uci stripes.
Did he know he was racing you? And one day I rode with (behind, really) team 7-11 and team Coors Light the day before the U.S. pro road racing championship in Philadelphia. That was in the mid-80s. Many years later I would have done the same with Motorola and some dude named Lance, but I was on the side of the MUP attending to a mechanical. One year, before the start of the race, a friendly fellow from Euskadi gave my girlfriend his cap. She gave it to me. I wore it for years. Was I wrong to do that?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-09-20, 04:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
If it were frowned on enough, it wouldn’t be for sale
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-09-20, 04:39 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
What if he just likes the color combination? Or what if he just wants to emulate the current champion?

I know how the yellow jersey thing has been beat to death, but is it the same deal with the champion jersey? It’s obvious what I’m getting at. The point is that in any other sport you can sport your favorite team’s jersey . . . doesn’t cycling want to be emulated by enthusiasts like in other sports? It just makes no sense.
Agreed. Nobody's going to mistake an old fred like me for the champion, or try to draft me for 100 miles, for a variety of reasons.
Old 07-09-20, 04:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Did he know he was racing you? And one day I rode with (behind, really) team 7-11 and team Coors Light the day before the U.S. pro road racing championship in Philadelphia. That was in the mid-80s. Many years later I would have done the same with Motorola and some dude named Lance, but I was on the side of the MUP attending to a mechanical. One year, before the start of the race, a friendly fellow from Euskadi gave my girlfriend his cap. She gave it to me. I wore it for years. Was I wrong to do that?
In the last few years, we have been spoiled with Sacramento being the start city for the Tour of California. Last year, we had some of the boys from Lotto-Jumbo jump in our local Saturday ride. That was fun.

By the way, that's my son in the RSR shorts. He had just turned 15.

Last edited by caloso; 07-09-20 at 05:01 PM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-09-20, 04:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
different wavelength frequencies of reflected light?
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-09-20, 05:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
In the last few years, we have been spoiled with Sacramento being the start city for the Tour of California. Last year, we had some of the boys from Lotto-Jumbo jump in our local Saturday ride. That was fun.

By the way, that's my son in the RSR shorts. He had just turned 15.
He‘s being given the look.😀

It was funny riding with 7-11. I was fairly new to the sport as an adult, having lost 90 lbs. in 9 months through diet change and exercise. The team was doing an easy ride the day before the race. They were cruising on the flats at maybe 24 mph, talking amongst themselves. A bunch us rag tag locals were strung out behind them trying to hold on for dear life. Good times.

Saw Pantani while riding to a stage finish at the Bianchi factory during the ‘95 Giro. He was sitting out the race due to an injury. He was riding in the opposite direction in his full Carrera kit, including those horrible faux jeans shots. We all did a double take and he smiled at us.

In 2000 I was climbing the Puerto del Viento towards Ronda in southern Spain during a self contained tour in the region. Out of nowhere a team caught up to me. Never noticed which one, but they gave me props. I jokingly asked one of them if he would help me with my baggage. He smiled, laughed and politely declined. Then they left me in their dust.
Old 07-11-20, 03:02 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BORA-Mens-C...tem56d79696ef:

(see 372984157935 on da bay direct from china, inexpensive but decent quality jersey that is sort of a "replica" )
Old 07-11-20, 05:14 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by JayKay3000
And 99.9% of the people who saw this imposter wouldn't actually know, much less care.
Major league teams and players encourage and make lots of money on pretender fashion statements,
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-11-20, 02:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Is there nowhere a friend of mine might be able to make a fashion statement with these stripes?
Maybe during June which is Pride month.

Personally, wear whatever you like. But if you are wearing a Rainbow jersey you just need to be faster than everyone else.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
If it were frowned on enough, it wouldn’t be for sale
I bet you can find a cycling jersey with a swastika on it if you look hard enough.