Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1909-1922 Girls Bike???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 08:39 AM
alexander55

Bikes: Looking for the next one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
1909-1922 Girls Bike???

I am WAY out of my knowledge level on this one. Hoping you can help me identify some more things about the bike and determine a value.

In addition to collecting road/track bikes 30-80s; I volunteer for an organization called Handlebars of Hope. They collect, refurbish and give away kids bikes and adult bikes for transportation to communities south of Brownsville, Texas.

This bike was donated to them. When bikes get donated that can't be used as give-aways, I sell the bikes for them and ALL the cash goes back to the organization.

The brake/hub is marked CORBIN DEPLUX MODEL 8. I think that puts it 1909-1922.
I've been told the pedals are actually for a boys bike and are from the 19teens.
And...the anchors for the skirt guards are still in place which (I have been told) is a bit unusual.

That's what I think I know. What can you tell me? Thanks so much!

Old 05-08-20, 08:41 AM
alexander55

Bikes: Looking for the next one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I also need your guidance as to how to safely "soak"/clean/lubricate...whatever I need to do...in order to begin to take this thing safely apart.

Can I throw away what's left of the tires? Should I cut what's left of the front spokes and toss the splintered front wheel?

Again - I am way out of my knowledge area (limited as they are) and will appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-20, 12:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by alexander55
I also need your guidance as to how to safely "soak"/clean/lubricate...whatever I need to do...in order to begin to take this thing safely apart.

Can I throw away what's left of the tires? Should I cut what's left of the front spokes and toss the splintered front wheel?

Again - I am way out of my knowledge area (limited as they are) and will appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Do nothing! You risk decreasing value (not only risk, but probably WILL decrease value). I personally would sell it as is. One person's cleaning is another person's patina DESTRUCTION. Why do you need to take it apart? I would leave that to the collector that is likely going to want this bike. Its taken 100 years for the bike to reach this point.

I have collected/purchased/kept a lot of antique furniture over the last 40 years. Early on, I destroyed a lot of value refinishing furniture, seeking a clean, shiny look instead of cherishing the patina that comes with age. I eventually learned my lesson, but not before ruining thousands of dollars in patina.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-08-20 at 01:23 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 05-08-20, 12:55 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
alexander55 you should post your questions over on the CABE (https://thecabe.com/forum/) they have a thread on pre 1930 bikes. Don't do anything with the tires and wheels someone will want them just as they are
Likes For trainman999:
Old 05-09-20, 12:00 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
^^^^^^ What he said.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 05-09-20, 03:31 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
I kept looking at this, and everybody is correct. This can be conserved by a pro that knows how to do it. They might even make those tires look remarkable compared to how they look now.

Let a pro do it!
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 05-10-20, 09:46 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I would be surprised if the front rim could be steamed back into even display alignment- but maybe.

the tires are toast but might be display worthy somewhere.

there is a fork in the road- learn and return to function or sell and let another make the decisions.

if it were a “gents” frame, I would keep it.
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-10-20, 10:43 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Adult male bicycles garner the most interest from this era. This is at the wrong end of the interest spectrum. There may be some interest for some of the gender neutral parts on it.
Likes For T-Mar: