Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1997 Cannondale

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 01:13 PM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
1997 Cannondale

This is a custom bike, built on the Cad3 frame. 24 speed (3x8). Shimano RX100 triple crank. Carbon fiber BRC fork. Campagnola rims. Modolo handlebars. Shimano brakes. Wellgo clipless pedals. Shifts and brakes perfectly. Everything works as it should. Bontrager tires. Needs nothing.

Frame is 54cm (21.5”) measured from center of crank to top of seat tube.

Hard for me to value since I don't have a specific model. Any help appreciated.

Old 05-09-20, 01:35 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
This was the R600 frame from the other thread? $350 for a C-dale with working brifters. If at all possible, replace the adjustable stem with a standard quill stem, as the adjustables tend to be flexy. Casual riders might not care but more serious riders will.
Old 05-09-20, 02:23 PM
kross57

I think we need to revise our prices up during this coronavirus thing. I listed it for sale at $365 and in an hour I had 3 full price offers. I'm sure I could sell it for $400-$425.
Old 05-09-20, 02:35 PM
kross57

Originally Posted by bargainguy
This was the R600 frame from the other thread? $350 for a C-dale with working brifters. If at all possible, replace the adjustable stem with a standard quill stem, as the adjustables tend to be flexy. Casual riders might not care but more serious riders will.
It's not an R600. It has elements of both the R600 and R800 with some other higher components unique to this bike, like the Campy rims. The CAD3 frame was used on everything from the R4000 down.
Old 05-09-20, 03:27 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
You answered your own question?
Old 05-09-20, 03:32 PM
kross57

Originally Posted by StarBiker
You answered your own question?
Don't you always? At least when you sell something.

When you get multiple offers that fast, you know you are selling too low. How much too low? Who knows.

With a bike like this, because its a custom build, it will always be a guessing game.
Old 05-10-20, 05:41 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Too bad you didn't show it hanging in the work stand you could have asked an extra $50 LOL

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-10-20, 08:22 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
I have a 1997 cad3 R8000 and nothing on your bike is original. R800 was all ultegra.
A mishmash of parts as it sits would not get $200 here in Charlotte nc. Market prices are low here but $350+ is a surprise to me and I flip Cannondale’s
Ed
I looked and my bike is a R900
The Yellow bike is a parts box bike.

Last edited by EddyR; 05-10-20 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-10-20, 08:38 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by EddyR
I have a 1997 cad3 R800 and nothing on your bike is original. R800 was all ultegra.
A mishmash of parts as it sits would not get $200 here in Charlotte nc. Market prices are low here but $350+ is a surprise to me and I flip Cannondale’s
Ed
It's a shame you don't know what you're talking about. Below are the catalog tech specs for the 1997 R800. There is not a single thing that is Ultegra on that bike. Only the R900.

Anyone can make a mistake. Maybe next time try being more respectful so you don't sound like such a horse's butt when you are wrong.

I can't speak to the market in NC. But here, I had 10 different offers for full price on this bike in a single day. I guess that the market doesn't agree with you. It is what it is. I only wish I could buy more bikes like this locally for under $200. ]

Old 05-10-20, 10:25 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
Kross 57 You must be very thin skinned to make such a crude remark to me. Yes my Cannondale is a R900 my mistake. Your frame is a Cad 3 but you new that as you have all the information in front of you.
Nothing matches, it is a parts box build. It is a nice bike but it is what it is. Great for you that you are in a hot market. Cad 3 Cannondale's site on CL here for months at $4-500 and never sell. I bought a Mint condition R400 for $50 two months ago as it sat on CL for $100 and did not sell. Lets hope one of your offers shows up to buy your bike.
My R900 from where did you ride today and my R400 from recent post
Ed

Old 05-10-20, 11:12 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by EddyR
Kross 57 You must be very thin skinned to make such a crude remark to me. Yes my Cannondale is a R900 my mistake. Your frame is a Cad 3 but you new that as you have all the information in front of you.
Nothing matches, it is a parts box build. It is a nice bike but it is what it is. Great for you that you are in a hot market. Cad 3 Cannondale's site on CL here for months at $4-500 and never sell. I bought a Mint condition R400 for $50 two months ago as it sat on CL for $100 and did not sell. Lets hope one of your offers shows up to buy your bike.
My R900 from where did you ride today and my R400 from recent post
Ed
Crude remark? Wow, is that the pot calling the kettle black. "nothing on your bike is original" "A mishmash of parts" How friendly!.

Yes, you were wrong about the bike. Yes, a custom build will not match factory specs. The fact is, it could all be original if that's the way it was ordered. Cannondale did sell frames separately for that very reason.

I am sorry your market is poor, Maybe that explains why even your apology sounds like a dig.
Old 05-10-20, 11:32 AM
StarBiker

Likes For StarBiker:
Old 05-10-20, 11:44 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57
Crude remark? Wow, is that the pot calling the kettle black. "nothing on your bike is original" "A mishmash of parts" How friendly!.

Yes, you were wrong about the bike. Yes, a custom build will not match factory specs. The fact is, it could all be original if that's the way it was ordered. Cannondale did sell frames separately for that very reason.
You have an earlier generation 105 rear der with same or later age rx100 and what looks like a tiagra shifter which is what replaced rx100, a clearly older adjustable stem from something cheap. This is not a build that someone would have done custom when the bike was new, can't imagine anyone deciding they needed to do a "custom" cannondale bike and thinking the first thing they're going to do is slap rx100 on it. This is the definition of a parts bin bike which is fine, it doesn't mean it can't be a good and enjoyable bike to ride but still a parts bin bike. Custom also suggests a special build that the time it was purchased, not upgraded over time.
Old 05-10-20, 01:53 PM
kross57

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You have an earlier generation 105 rear der with same or later age rx100 and what looks like a tiagra shifter which is what replaced rx100, a clearly older adjustable stem from something cheap. This is not a build that someone would have done custom when the bike was new, can't imagine anyone deciding they needed to do a "custom" cannondale bike and thinking the first thing they're going to do is slap rx100 on it. This is the definition of a parts bin bike which is fine, it doesn't mean it can't be a good and enjoyable bike to ride but still a parts bin bike. Custom also suggests a special build that the time it was purchased, not upgraded over time.
Since the bike is over 20 years old it is impossible to say what the sequence was as far as replaced or original parts or how they came to be there. Unless you have a Ouija board. It could have come with the RX100 crank, Or not. Maybe the guy liked Campy rims. Maybe he wanted an adjustable stem. Maybe a dealer assembled it from what he had on hand. The fact is, who knows? But don't let that stop you from turning up the snob factor to an 11. Fercrissake.

I really have to question what is wrong with some of you people. Get a life. This is bicycles, folks, not a space launch. Keep it light.
Old 05-10-20, 02:09 PM
kross57

Guys the only reason I posted here was to try and get some insight on the bike and its value. I wasn't looking to be insulted. I didn't even build it!

I did want to offer what has happened for me with selling this bike. It sold in an hour above what most are telling me it is worth. Good to know, I would think. The market, at least locally, has changed.

How it came to have the particular components you see is anyone's guess. Let's leave it at that.

I do think some folks want to rethink their comments as they relay a pretty strong snob factor. Believe me, however nice a bike you have, there is someone else who thinks it is garbage. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. .
Old 05-10-20, 02:28 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
It IS good to know that there’s apparently stronger demand than most of us on the forum (myself included) would think. It’s good to have another data point, always.

It is also sometimes difficult to hear someone say, essentially, ‘srsly, that much for a mix of stuff (vs. a matched or original set)??’ But it’s a valid discussion, and not about snobbery- it’s attention to what MAY be important details. For the buyer in this case, it didn’t matter much.
Old 05-10-20, 03:33 PM
kross57

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
It IS good to know that there’s apparently stronger demand than most of us on the forum (myself included) would think. It’s good to have another data point, always.

It is also sometimes difficult to hear someone say, essentially, ‘srsly, that much for a mix of stuff (vs. a matched or original set)??’ But it’s a valid discussion, and not about snobbery- it’s attention to what MAY be important details. For the buyer in this case, it didn’t matter much.
I know there are different schools of thought on assembling bikes from disparate components. Personally, I have great respect for the bike person who can take a bunch of stuff and make a really nice bike from it. Buying a known model is more of a no-brainer.

I guess what I'm saying is, the casual purchaser should probably shy away from bikes that don't match factory specs. The knowledgeable buyer can afford to evaluate for themselves. But in actual fact it seems the reverse is true. The elitist looks down his nose at "parts bin" bikes, while the novice just sees the makers name and doesn't sweat the details.

And let me be clear - on my bike, one buyer slapping down money may be an oddball. But in the sale of this bike it didn't matter much to ten different people in a couple of hours. They all wanted it big time. That's a lot!
Old 05-10-20, 04:38 PM
StarBiker

Bottom line is how long do you want to wait for more cash. If somebody was offering me $365 for that bike I would have sold it!

And you are located in Northern New Jersey. So people will pay more. I wonder if that bike would even sell for that price in DC.....

Unless it's vintage, or higher end newish nobody in my neck of the woods is interested.

So it's all relative. Be happy, and enjoy the weather before we all start sweating to death in this part of the world!

(Every damn summer )

Last edited by StarBiker; 05-10-20 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-10-20, 04:44 PM
kross57

Originally Posted by StarBiker
Bottom line is how long do you want to wait for more cash. If somebody was offering me $365 for that bike I would have sold it!

And you are located in Northern New Jersey. So people will pay more. I wonder if that bike would even sell for that price in DC.....

Unless it's vintage, or higher end newish nobody in my neck of the woods is interested.
I wish I could buy bikes in your area and sell them in mine. Believe me, lately around here there is NO waiting. I sold 3 bikes that were moderately priced in 2 days. I sold 2 bikes that were higher priced in 2 days. I sold 3 bikes that were crazy priced in 2 days. It's nuts. That was not the case a few months ago.