Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Is it quite normal for most major bike shops to fit you?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 05-10-20, 11:38 PM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

I think i need to get my bike properly fitted which I bought a year ago. It’s a gravel bike which i’ve probably put on 5000km so far. I just never really even thought of having my bike being properly fitted. So it’s quite normal for bike shops todo this?
Old 05-11-20, 01:05 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
I wouldn't say it is, beyond a quick size you up by eye and out the door you go!

Worth spending the money on a reputable bike fitter in your area.
Old 05-11-20, 09:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Depends on what you mean by fitting. I wouldn't expect a shop to do anything more with the sale of a bike than to make sure I buy the one that is an appropriate size for me.

A real honest to goodness fitting involves a lot of time and information gathering about you and watching how your body functions and moves on a bike. You do them when you need to be the best you can be on a bike and ensure that every watt you produce is turned into power to climb or speed. Professional fits are also done for people that need a better comfort level than they are able to achieve themselves with their bike.

Good professional fittings take more time than anyone should expect a sale of a bike to cover.
Old 05-11-20, 09:09 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Any time I have purchased a new bike from a shop (and while I worked at a shop) a very BASIC fit was always a part of the sale....IE adjust the seat and maybe offer a stem type thing. Beyond that I have dealt with shops that didn't do professional fitting and the one I worked with did. As stated above a professional fit is a long and laborious process and no one would be giving those away at the price of a bike.
With that said, I think for the average rider doing a spin around the neighborhood paying for a fit probably isn't really necessary.
Old 05-11-20, 09:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at. Reading again, maybe you are asking to know if every shop has someone trained as a fitter.

Well that is maybe.... depending on what you need and want. Some shops will have someone that knows from experience what works for most. Some will have a person that has studied and self taught themselves a particular mantra of fitting. Some have actually been trained in a certain fit method. Some may not offer a fitting service at all.

You just have to call them and see what you think of what they offer and how far they go. Some might not want to do anything more than raise your seat or lower it.
Old 05-11-20, 01:04 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Are you in pain while or after you ride? If not, what do you expect to get from a fitting?
Old 05-20-20, 03:05 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
That is a ready-fire-aim mentality. The absolute best way to approach a bike purchase, especially a significant one, is to get a professional fitting done first. They’ll tell you, among other things, your best stack and reach numbers.

This way you can rule certain bikes in or out, and pretty much zero in on a frame size.

A dealer has a possible conflict of interest in that they want to sell you a bike while assuring the fit is good. The two are not always congruent.

IMO it is money well spent, and in the case of a more thorough fit, will reveal some of your own shortcomings on the bike(as it did me).
Old 05-27-20, 06:54 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by carminepraha
I think i need to get my bike properly fitted which I bought a year ago. It’s a gravel bike which i’ve probably put on 5000km so far. I just never really even thought of having my bike being properly fitted. So it’s quite normal for bike shops todo this?
I did a basic KOPS on each bike I sold using a trainer, catalogs to level the front wheel, plumb bob, protractor, and measuring rod-took about 5-15 mins. Set post height, saddle fore-aft, saddle tilt, stem height, bar angle, lever angles, and explained what I was doing. Gave a little tip on posture, "bend the elbows!"

But that was only the boss and I who did that, the other sales people didn't do that. I don't like seeing people on poorly fitted bikes. Some people would return for minor adjustments; sometimes they would even buy something.

Last edited by DorkDisk; 05-27-20 at 06:59 AM.